New Metra Dash Kit (99-7509)

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
Wow, totally just stumbled across this one. Metra put out a Dash Kit for the Mazda5! It allows for Double DIN, 2 Single DINs, or a Single DIN + Pocket. This is big news to me anyway because while the Corksport version looks much better in that its color matches, this one allows for Single DIN (which are FAR more common and affordable) and its only $25! I'll probably get this kit, then just spray paint it to match the rest of the dash.

The Corksport is still good in its own right, but I just cant put down that kind of money when I only have a Single DIN Head Unit anyway.

Metra 2008 Catalog
http://www.metraonline.com/catalogs/Metra_New_Product_Guide_2008.pdf

Found the kit here for $25. Wonder how long CC or BB will take to stock them, or, if they could just special order it.
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-7509

EDIT: Turns out the kit is actually painted to match OEM color. It's metallic silver, not black as shown in Metra's catalog excert below. Also, check out this post for installation notes.

- AVAILABILITY UPDATES -

Metra Kit (#99-7509) - Now available!

Scosche Kit (#MA1538B) - Was updated via Scosche email that this kit is delayed until at least June.

Attachments

• metraKit_99-7509_06-08Mazda5.jpg
    metraKit_99-7509_06-08Mazda5.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 813
  • kitLayout2.JPG
    kitLayout2.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 940
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:
Yeah, I have a really nice Kenwood eXcelon head unit that I had to put into early retirement when I got the 5... looks like I'll have to dust 'er off now :)

And on second thought, the black may look alright because everything surrounding that piece is black already (except the shifter panel).

I haven't seen the 08 dash in person, but from some pics it does appear to have a gloss to it. You could almost guarantee that the Metra kit is a flat black... it'd be closer to the rest of the dash than the 08 HVAC/Audio faceplate.

The more I think about it, the more I think that black would be preferable to the 06-07 silver. I rather like the contrast of the HVAC knobs against the black faceplate of the 08's... black buttons --> silver knobs --> black faceplate.
pho_gallery_MZ5_int4.jpg

Also, FWIW, according to Scosche's 2008 Product Catalog (Page 6), their kit for the Mazda5 was scheduled to be released in February... although it's not out yet. I emailed them to see if there are any updates with this. The Scosche kit IS silver to match OEM of the 06-07, and it's part# MA1538B.

Attachments

• scosche.jpg
    scosche.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Yeah mine's going in on Thursday for oil, rotation, and "DUH Duh duh...." the dreaded Engine Stumble! (finally... I excited :D)

No clue... you'd hope it wouldn't be that long considering there's really no physical labor, just an ECU reflash. But I'm dropping it off in the morning on my way to work so as long as it's done by 4PM, I'm a happy clam.

You mean they're making you stay there for some reason, or you don't have another mode of transportation available? They should offer you a loaner, but maybe they only do this if service is anticipated to be over x hours long.

I'm just going to wait because it's my day off from work and it will give me a chance to maybe take a test drive on a 08. Loaners are hard to get there because so many people ask for one, but I'll be OK with that. I figure it will take no more than 2 hrs to do the TSB and a oil changed.

I haven't seen the 08 dash in person, but from some pics it does appear to have a gloss to it. You could almost guarantee that the Metra kit is a flat black... it'd be closer to the rest of the dash than the 08 HVAC/Audio faceplate..

it's more than just a gloss, it has a pattern in it.

Good find! I have an '08 and can take picture if you want. The finish is glossy but looks kind of like a brushed aluminum coated in a transparent black. I don't have a camera with me, but I can try posting tonight/tomorrow.

Sorry it took a few days to finally get this posted. As you can see it's very glossy and has a "brushed" metal look to it.

(Sorry for the lint/dust... :eek: )

picture_014_copy7.jpg

picture_015_copy5.jpg

aaah, now I see. That 2nd pic shows it off nicely. Kind of a corduroy look (albeit, when viewed way up close). Not bad... I think I like it better than the silver. thanks for taking the time to take those shots!

I think I like it better than the silver

March Madness Special... OEM 2008 Mazda5 "Black Piano" dash plate for sale, limited offer only: $348.72. PayPal and trade-in accepted

(shady) :p

No, it is a nice touch indeed. Also the stick shift area is black (there is small gray ring only for the MT), plus the Sport does not have the silver door plate covers, all that makes it a nice combo (I think)

Also the stick shift area is black (there is small gray ring only for the MT), plus the Sport does not have the silver door plate covers, all that makes it a nice combo (I think)
Yeah I'd love to swap in the 2008 shifter panel, but I think they changed the shape so it wouldn't fit.

Back