New Member's 2007 MS3 Experience

jackoli

:
MS3 2007
I am new to this forum and am posting a summary of my experience with a 2007 MS3:

Bought April 2012 in Fort Worth:
Car had following mods installed by previous owner:
Tein springs, Injen air intake, Cobb DP, resonators removed, CP-E stage 1 RMM
Compression check: 170/165/160/154 in June 2012

Now has 110K miles and has had extensive repairs/updates since bought:
*All Brake calipers/rotors replaced with new OEM parts
*Three wheel bearings replaced
*Left CV axle replaced
*Tein springs replaced with RaceLand coilovers (junk) replaced with 2010 MS3 OEM springs/shocks
*Thermostat and water pump replaced
*Two bent wheels repaired
*Installed full-time running lights
*Replaced driver side rear control arm
*Installed 20" glasspack and AP 3738 muffler (much quieter now)
*Replaced RaceLands left front strut bearing
*Clutch replaced
*Rear O2 sensor replaced
*Replaced front and rear stabilizer bushings and links (right front stab clamp bolt had broken off and basically had been running over 2 years without front stabilizer bar working)
*SPC adjustable Camber link installed on rear driver side (Pass side installation is about a 4 hour labor charge due to emissions canister blocking removal of non-adjustable OEM camber link bolt. Used GM part number from Amazon "ACDelco 45K0187..." )
*Installed RMM ("6068A CM5Z-6068A 13-14 Ford Focus Electric").
*Installed BECK/ARNLEY PMM

All together about $7K in repairs/upgrades over past 3 years.

Remaining tasks:
Replace timing chain
Decarbonize intake valves
Install new sparkplugs
Replace trans fluid with Motorcraft MTX-75 & IB5 XT-M5-QS
Use AP2 to tune for high altitude (5000ft) operation (only abt 12 psi max boost now)
Figure out how to install pass side adjustable camber link at a reasonable cost.
Attack NVH with sound deadening as last resort

In summary, a lot has been learned about what NOT to do in buying an MS3. If buying an MS3 today I would buy one that is totally stock, under 40K miles, and owned by a little ol' lady school teacher. (I also own a '94 turboed Miata that has only had oil/anti-freeze changes the past 12 years) This MS3 has been a very high maintenance b**** that I wouldn't care to repeat. But, it reminds me so much of the '58 Volvo 444's handling and feel I used to have that I will not now give up this MS3-

Rant off

Please tell me that the car has upgraded fuel pump internals. That is a necessary prerequisite to running an aftermarket downpipe. Without it you are likely to lean out under load with bad outcome for your engine. Are you monitoring fuel rail pressure under load? Can you datalog? What does your long term fuel trim look like? Is AP already installed? Is it on a particular map or back on stock tune?

Passenger side SPC adjustable camber arm does NOT take four hours. You can gently push the evap tank out of the way and move it back. Maybe 15 minutes more than doing the driver's side.

BTW: My car, with mods below, run hard and frequently so, is at 111,000 miles. Only been to the dealer once for warranty VVT that it didn't even need, but it was free. Only self performed routine maintenance, but done obsessively and on schedule. I did just put in a rebuilt OEM K04 turbo due to noise suggesting bearing wear.. Runs like a bat out of hell. Compression on every cylinder is between 185 and 190.

Your prior owner ragged out the car and neglected maintenance. I hate to see that happen. These cars are typically trouble free.

BTW2: Use Shell Rotella T6 5w40w full synthetic and think about possible turbo replacement soon. Good rebuild is under $500 exchange.

Last edited:
Back