New Kid on the Block (dont hit me)

blynzoo

Contributor
:
'02 Red P5...BUT AS OF 1/31/08 an '08 Silver SPEED3!!!
Hi everybody, I'm new here, old p5 owner. Feel free to say hi whenever you see me online. I'm also an ex-builder of SCCA cars, so ask away with the geardork questions.
A question of my own....
I am looking to move up in rim size. I would like to keep the same overall tire diameter to maintain speedometer accuracy and whatnot. I know all the necessary tire and offset numbers for an 18" rim, but wondered if anyone here had put 18s on their baby, and kept the same tire diameter, AND if they had experienced any problems. If not, I'm going for 18s. I'm open to suggestion here, if 17 is the way to go, then so be it.

You're a great bunch of guys and gals here, glad to be aboard.

ditto what superdude says. also you can check whalen.com and when you pick varying tire sizes, they will provide speedometer error.

thanks for the help....you guys have any pics of them on your car?

Thanks for the link to the size calc. That's pretty helpful! You will want to make sure your offsets are correct also. Again, try tirerack.com along with the others. They have a good list of what can be put on different vehicles.
Best of luck!

Welcome to our happy home.....and it seems you answered your own question about tire size....the tire calculator will tell you want you want/need to know. I was about to give YOU that link till I read your next post. lol

:{D

lol, i guess i did answer my own question. My real fear with 18s was not so much matching as whether it would be at all practical, or for that matter attractive. On cars with smaller diameter tires, large rims can sometimes look goofy, if you dont increase overall tire diameter to match. Think of those fools who started with 14"civic tires, and put big rims while keeping the same diameter. I think it looks goofy, small diameter+too large rim. but that's just me. And thanks for the welcome, it's so nice to be home!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been drooling over some of these turbo stories here. I'm talking with someone now about max psi that our 2.0's can handle from a turbo (with a FMU/FPR, that is). Also, I'm out and hunting for a true supercharger (not a turbo-supercharger or "turbo"), so let me know if anyone finds anything.
I saw a funny as bumper sticker. It said
"The surgeon general said it's OK to smoke V-8s."
Later!

I'm already hooked! Ive posted....13 times as of this..in one day

Back