New Install Question

mentalcase

:
Meteor Gray 2014 Touring CX-5
So I've had my cx-5 since Wednesday and I'm already sick of the stock head unit, so I'm planning out my install of a Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH. I've already determined what wires I need to tap into to use the OEM backup camera and the OEM mic, but the pioneer unit is going to require 2 additional antennas for GPS and Sirius. I know that the car should already have a GPS antenna installed which I need to look for an adapter.

Does it have a sirius antenna installed from the factory? I didn't pay for the sirius adapter if that makes a difference. I'm wondering if one is already under the shark fin so that I don't need to have an extra antenna on my roof.

Any one know?

There was a man on here who changed his HU out as well. Look a few pages back in this section. Try searching "headunit" or "kenwood"; I think that was the brand he used.

Pioneers don't require speed sens wire too? I'm a Kenwood guy. Didn't swap it out yet, but I'm heading that way. I'm gathering everything, that I will need.

There was a man on here who changed his HU out as well. Look a few pages back in this section. Try searching "headunit" or "kenwood"; I think that was the brand he used.
That would be TreyP who installed a Kenwood head unit.

Installing the headunit is fairly simple, My question is more about if a Sirius antenna is preinstalled in our cars.

Unrelated question, how the heck are you getting 31.5 mpg?

Installing the headunit is fairly simple, My question is more about if a Sirius antenna is preinstalled in our cars.
When I installed the Kenwood I did need to use an antenna adapter. To be honest though, I never really had any reason to analyze where the other end of that wire was going, since I only use standard radio, and that not very often. I did assume it was going to the shark fin antenna on the roof, but I can neither confirm nor deny that.

On the other hand, my Kenwood has the Sirius function (which again, I do not use) and there were no additional wires left for me to hook up, so it stands to reason that if I subscribed to Sirius, I should be good to go as it sits right now.

For what it is worth, I have the Touring with Bose package.

This is what the Mazda site has to say about the 2014 Touring/Sirius:

SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 4-month trial subscription to Sirius (Port installed option) (Accessory)
‡‡ SiriusXM Satellite Radio-compatible audio system requires additional dealer-installed hardware and subscription.

Last edited:
Installed an Avic 9000 in my subie a few years back. Was able to install the Sirius antenna beneath the dash and it worked perfectly. Just zip tied it to a cross member as high up as possible, avoiding any overhead metal brackets. You might give that a shot and see how it works for you.

You can install the Sirius and Nav antennas inside the rear spoiler on the hatch. I did this on my 3 and it worked perfectly and never cut out! Just pulled the spoiler off and pulled it apart and DS taped it inside with the top facing up. (The nav antenna will also work perfectly under the dash...mine in my new 6 is just stuck to the top of the radio and it works just fine anyhow) Then just route the cables inside and along the headliner until you get to the A pillar. The car may have a GPS antenna built in to the shark fin since the OEM nav is just plug and play. But good luck finding an adapter to plug into the Pioneer. A new Sirius antenna would have to be used with your new radio since it is not pre wired. The key to remember is that these antennas will work under plastic (dash, spoiler, etc.) but the more you put in front of it, the more likely it is to cut out if you drive into heavily wooded areas and such.

What about those of us who already have the Tech package, would the antenna be compatible with aftermarket radios?

I thought about putting the antennas under the dash as that's what I did with my 3 back in the day. (see pic)

I was just thinking reception would be better if the stock antennas were used, but it doesn't look like our cars come with sirius antennas from the factory.

I have seen the install instructions for adding the Mazda Sirius unit to a CX-5 and it required you add the Sirius antenna beside the shark so I don't think the Sirius antenna is there unless you have the Sirius unit from the factory. Find a seller of the Mazda add on unit and look at his install instructions...

Not sure about Sirius, but the GPS antenna is under the center speaker grille on top center of the dash. (The grille just pops off with some 'fingernail leverage'.)

Probably easier to use the headunit's GPS antenna and mount it there instead, rather than find and buy an adapter for the factory one.

Back