New here!

I'm sure you've done some reading around here, but check out this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123700949-FS-DE-Oil-System

See below

As you probably already have determined, the oiling system in the FS-DE is marginally sufficient for a street car and desperately insufficient for a race car. One of the main problems is that with sustained rpms the placement of the pressure relief valve in the oil pump causes significant cavitation and further loss of oil pressure. Another major problem is the small size of the oil pan and the subsequent high likelyhood for the pick-up to become "uncovered". Finally, the last major problem is that the rods take their oil supply from the main bearings through pick-ups in the crank.

We have come up with a SYSTEM to help try to DEAL with these problems. Some of these problems are inherent in the design of the motor and would take high dollars to solve. I also stress a system, because simply adding our improved oil pump may help to a point but we have found the SYSTEM has given us much improved engine life (read bearing life)!

Of course, the heart of the sytem is our improved oil pump. Along with it is our externally adjustable oil pressure bypass, a gated increased volume oil pan, an engine block oil filter relocation adapter, and an external oil filter mount. As you can see, with this system you can adjust your oil pressure to the range you need it externally. This will allow you to compensate for several factors including the type and grade of oil you are using and the bearing clearance you are running (to a point).

Here is a pic of the system as installed on our race car.

People around here always say "oh you can't make power in our cars" etc etc etc, but fail to mention why. While the stock bottom end is weaker than Steven Hawkings' legs, the oil system is where Mazda really s*** the bed. The oil pump wasn't ever designed to run at high-rpm settings for a long period of time and the oil pan/pickup are completely worthless on the track. The only real saving grace is we have oil-squirters (think diesel engine) in the bottoms of the cylinders to keep the backs of the pistons cool.

For me, because I think of myself as a "practical tuner," I would like to see a solid alternate solution made for the MSP's oil woes, and a high-RPM kit developed so we can rev past the pedestrian 6.5k we're limited to now. Stiffer valve springs and the like would make revving a MSP to 9k so much more fun. Just some food for thought and something to consider as you build your beast!

I'm glad I wasn't able to talk you out of the MSP haha.

Emery is a real good guy, sticks to his word and really gets to know what he's working on/with, can't wait to see whats in store from STM for our cars.

Thanks again guys! I just got back from walmart picking up the new Dsport. Pretty excited, My Evo got featured! IT really is a great issue. If you guys have time pick one up!

Em

I just picked it up the spread dosent do it enough justice....i havent read it yet im gonna do it tomorrow at work but damm thats a sick evo man...cant wait to see what you can do with an MSP

The MSP needs a tuner like STM, not that other tuners aren't good in what they do, but I have used many STM stuff on my DSM's.......all of them were great parts. My buddies evo, although not quite as crazy as Emory's, used many STM parts and they held up to 700whp easy. Its just nice to see a tuner looking to do things that "cant be done". I will also wait in anticipation to see what is to become.

cant wait to see the outcome of all this...biggest thing is to not get discouraged with the msp... great evo's btw

yeah i was thinkin about this thread the other day, guess he blew it up. even though he said he wouldnt quit!

probably realized it wouldn't be a good investment to research and make parts for an 8 years or older car that is limited in potential to begin with.

^ Basically. If you own this car longer than 3 years you're either crazy or stuck with the damn thing. Personally i would have liked to see someone make actual progress on this car's issues.

Back