New CX5?

I agree. The cx-5 is louder than the mazda 5.

I took my car in to the dealer for an oil change and got a ride back to work on their mazda 5 shuttle. The mazda 5, despite being several years older and 2x more miles than my CX-5 was noticeably quieter on the freeway than my cx-5.

As many others have noticed before, my stock 17" yokohomas got somewhat loud at ~30,000 miles.

Unless I'm on a long road trip I do't normally mind the tire noise. It almost makes me feel more in tune with the road surface :)
My CX-5 is much quieter on the road compared to my wife's 2011 Prius. Recently we bought a new set of Michelins for Prius and there is still no comparison in quietness.

The CX5 has much more wind noise than my Mazda 5 but tire noise seems louder in my CX5. When I measured the cabin noise with my Radio Shack sound meter it was actually slightly less noisy than my 5 except below 500 hertz. In the lower frequency's the CX5 measured an astonishing 85 decibels but only 70 above that.

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic for Duranprophoto?

Thanks

Hm. My '15 CX-5 is relatively quiet, personally. I used to drive a 10+ year old Chevy car before I obtained the CX-5 and oh my god, the road noise was insufferable. I couldn't listen to music without blasting it, I couldn't hear people talking if they were in the backseats, forget rolling down the windows if I wanted to even hear my music, so on and so forth. I'm pretty happy with a quieter, bigger vehicle. :p

I've found the road surface is biggest factor for road noise.
A new asphalt road is completely quiet.
Second quietest is new concrete road.
An old asphalt road with lots of pebbles on surface is very loud.
An old worn rough or corrugated concrete road roars.

Road noise is only noticable at highway speeds.
Where I live, highways are relatively new, so rarely do I notice road noise.

Quieter than the '04 RAV4 that the CX-5 replaced, but nowhere near as quiet as our '03 BMW E46. From all I've heard, all CUVs have close to the same level of noise. Much better on macadam than concrete. '14 CX5 GT

How's the diesel? And are you seeing a lot of CX-5's in the UK?

Personally I find the CX-5 noisy.

Wind and tyre noise, the wind noise can be really bad on the motorways and is very trying at times, wind direction seems to play a huge part.

Its probably the noisiest car I have had for over a decade.

Not really a problem for me as 95% of my driving is at speeds below 60mph.

How's the diesel? And are you seeing a lot of CX-5's in the UK?

Seeing more CX-5 now, but still a minority.

Can't fault the diesel for my own personal use, it has been described by whatcar as one of the best in the world. Performance is effortless and relaxing.

Economy isn't that great due to the DPF, but I still get over 43mpg locally in a semi rural location, A and B roads, best I've had is 59mpg.
On the motorway it isn't that great only around 40mpg at speeds from 50-85mph.

My model has all the kit and 4wd so it next to the heaviest at 1663kg, the latest version is around 1675kg, so the lower spec versions should give a little more economy but with the 150ps engine.

I only do 7K miles a year and at 5K miles started to see the oil level rise in the sump, at 7K it was around 6-8mm above the full, but way short of the X mark, at 7K it had its service, so as I say the diesel is fine for my use but I'm not sure it would be good for a high mileage driver probably needing an early oil change?
And then there's the wind noise over 60 mph.

Still it pulls my 1565kg caravan with out effort which is what I bought it for, its a great car to drive, as long as you are aware of the possible oil rise and early oil change then go for it.

Personally I think the reason why the USA isn't seeing the diesel is the oil rise issue. Its not eliminated but reduced and is acceptable to me doing only low mileage.

Service in the UK is 12 months or 12.5K miles for the diesel.

The car makers gotta love giving the cars over for crash testing. Here's a brand new car, now go crash it!! Of course, it's necessary for our safety. But, gotta be expensive.

I used to work for one of the TUV organizations in their US locations. They get to crash test BMW, Mercedes and Porches.

I used to work for one of the TUV organizations in their US locations. They get to crash test BMW, Mercedes and Porches.

I didn't know IIHS did tests between old & newer cars. I'd hate to be in that old Chevy.

Sorry... taking the thread off brand...

Signed the papers today for my soon to be mine 2015 Mica Red CX5 GS. I will pick it up Monday afternoon, can't wait!! It will be a totally different machine from my 2006 Mazda 5.

Congrats!!! CX-5 is a great rig!! I plan to take mine out into some twisty roads this weekend.

Took the dealers demo Cx5 out for a boot today and just hammered it on a curved hwy on ramp and she hugged it like a sports car. That was the deciding factor for me!

Remember to also read about the not so nice issues with the infotainment units - lots of that going on in the forums. But driving the CX5 even today was fun, a warm summer day in Ontario, Canada and just smelling the grass and hearing the purr makes me smile each day driving it. I really like the handling but somedays I would just throw that radio unit into the ditch and get me something decent, than I look at the TomTom and realize that it is good enough for now.

Remember to also read about the not so nice issues with the infotainment units - lots of that going on in the forums. But driving the CX5 even today was fun, a warm summer day in Ontario, Canada and just smelling the grass and hearing the purr makes me smile each day driving it. I really like the handling but somedays I would just throw that radio unit into the ditch and get me something decent, than I look at the TomTom and realize that it is good enough for now.

I do like the lane guidance on the Tom Tom over my Garmins though.....

Well seeing that my current 06 Mazda 5 doesn't integrate anything the CX5 will be a huge step up even if it doesn't work.

Back