New CX5 Owner impressions/questions

We can explain it to you, but we can't understand it for you.

You're right, I can't understand grown adults treating a family SUV like some kid treats their 10 year old Civic. I'm surprised some of you haven't gutted these and removed the safety bracing yet, reading these absurd posts about handling dynamics and 50# more weight on a family car/suv. Yet the GT package sure is popular...weight and all. I bet they must have terrible handling.

Just bought a 2015 GT with 16k miles. Most every option except for AWD. I have driving it for about a week now. Had a 2005 WRX before this. Living up to my expectations! Not a WRX for sure,but nice handling and decent power for a bigger (than WRX) vehicle. Nice to run on regular too. A couple of observations: It seems like the engine/transmission is a bit noisy? 1st and 2nd gear seem whine a bit as you pick up speed. The WRX was a stick,so I am not sure what to expect,but seems slighty on the noisy side. In addition the front end feels like it is "drifting" or "tramlining" a bit at normal speeds on straight roads. I am correcting with slight movements of the wheel,but it is a bit distracting.I would guess tires? The Toyos have plenty of tread left,but not sure what else could be causing the slight drift. I am considering new tires along the lines of the Continental Extreme Contact. Not an exact match in size for the Toyos in an EC,but close.
Looking forward to lots of enjoyable miles in this new cruiser!

For the transmission whine, there is a Mazda TSB that fits your description that involves replacing the transmission.

For the tire/driving complaint: Do you know if it was it ever involved in an collision? Since it is an AWD, I wonder how close all of the tread depths are. And the quality of the shocks/struts and alignment.

I think a good close inspection of each tire is warranted, looking at inner, middle and outer tread depths , also examine the tread for any feathering that might point to a shock/strut. Also examine the shocks and struts for any leakage.

I have to agree with Unobtanium, there is a lot of mumbo-jumbo being spread on here because people are trying to apply race car logic to a family SUV/CUV.

Its true that the CX-5 is a fun CUV with decent handling but its so far from a performance car, studying power to weight ratios with that high of a number is pointless.

For the transmission whine, there is a Mazda TSB that fits your description that involves replacing the transmission.
That shouldn't affect 2015's, or did they update it? I'm not saying it DOESN'T, I'm just saying that I recall it wasn't for '15 and newer?
For the tire/driving complaint: Do you know if it was it ever involved in an collision? Since it is an AWD, I wonder how close all of the tread depths are. And the quality of the shocks/struts and alignment.
The AWD is only on-demand. It doesn't matter. It's FWD until needed as I understand, and then it's 50%/50% while conditions require, as determined by wheel-speed sensors/slip.
I think a good close inspection of each tire is warranted, looking at inner, middle and outer tread depths , also examine the tread for any feathering that might point to a shock/strut. Also examine the shocks and struts for any leakage.
I strongly agree on the tires. I rotate every 5K miles, and inspect them often (every 1-2 weeks or so, just a visual inspection).

I have to agree with Unobtanium, there is a lot of mumbo-jumbo being spread on here because people are trying to apply race car logic to a family SUV/CUV.

Its true that the CX-5 is a fun CUV with decent handling but its so far from a performance car, studying power to weight ratios with that high of a number is pointless.
+1. There are some people here certainly don't like to see any negative comments against our CX-5's!

Not at all. For example, I really like driving my CX-5. I don't have to go 95 mph to appreciate it's spritely nature and the way it makes driving a light and happy experience. I'm in Hawaii right now and have a rented 2015 Ford Focus that's much smaller but not nearly as fun to drive as my 2.0L CX-5. It doesn't put a smile on my face and it feels ponderous even though it's much smaller inside. My 2.0L CX-5 is also quicker to accelerate even though the Focus has turbo.

Just because it's not a performance race car is not a valid reason to not give a damn about how fun it is to drive! I accept that some people will never understand the Mazda zoom-zoom factor. This has more to do with the personality of the car than the numbers. Which is why I recommend the 2.0L over the 2.5L unless you need the extra power for towing trailers.

Not at all. For example, I really like driving my CX-5. I don't have to go 95 mph to appreciate it's spritely nature and the way it makes driving a light and happy experience. I'm in Hawaii right now and have a rented 2015 Ford Focus that's much smaller but not nearly as fun to drive as my 2.0L CX-5. It doesn't put a smile on my face and it feels ponderous even though it's much smaller inside. My 2.0L CX-5 is also quicker to accelerate even though the Focus has turbo.

Just because it's not a performance race car is not a valid reason to not give a damn about how fun it is to drive! I accept that some people will never understand the Mazda zoom-zoom factor. This has more to do with the personality of the car than the numbers. Which is why I recommend the 2.0L over the 2.5L unless you need the extra power for towing trailers.
I bet if you pull the sound deadening out of that focus you can turn it into a real race car. It should make a huge difference.

It's way more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

It's way more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

The latter is what most people must do because most cars are technically faster than my 2.0L CX-5 but still, every car in front of me is slower and blocking my progress. I wish they would use all that power they claim to have but then their MPG would really suck!

I wish my rental Ford Focus had Mazda's air conditioning. It may only be 84F here but the A/C in the Focus is not able to keep me cool, even on full blast.

I bet if you pull the sound deadening out of that focus you can turn it into a real race car. It should make a huge difference.

No. The Focus is never going to be fun to drive. Serious chassis flex and odd steering/braking insures that no diet is going to fix what ails it.

The latter is what most people must do because most cars are technically faster than my 2.0L CX-5 but still, every car in front of me is slower and blocking my progress. I wish they would use all that power they claim to have but then their MPG would really suck!

I wish my rental Ford Focus had Mazda's air conditioning. It may only be 84F here but the A/C in the Focus is not able to keep me cool, even on full blast.

lol 84.. that's window down temp.. btw why are you in a rental right now? too bad you didn't get a Mirage.

lol 84.. that's window down temp.. btw why are you in a rental right now? too bad you didn't get a Mirage.

Because he's in Hawaii. My question is...why the hell did he rent a Focus when he "pays more taxes per year than I've made in my life" (placing him deep into the 7 and maybe 8 figure a year territory...)

His stories just don't add up.

Hawaii though
smilie_water_048.gif

Because he's in Hawaii. My question is...why the hell did he rent a Focus when he "pays more taxes per year than I've made in my life" (placing him deep into the 7 and maybe 8 figure a year territory...)

His stories just don't add up.

The way you get to pay a lot of taxes is make a lot of money. You make a lot of money by being careful what you spend. It adds up.

I am getting the slightly off specification Continental Extreme Contacts installed today. Snowing out now here in Minnesota,so will be a good test to start out with. As mentioned earlier in the thread the ECs are 245 50 10 whereas the factory is a 225 55 19 which is not available in an EC. Very close though. Once driven for a bit, I will post my impressions.

I am getting the slightly off specification Continental Extreme Contacts installed today. Snowing out now here in Minnesota,so will be a good test to start out with. As mentioned earlier in the thread the ECs are 245 50 10 whereas the factory is a 225 55 19 which is not available in an EC. Very close though. Once driven for a bit, I will post my impressions.

So far,much, much better in the snow and water than the half worn factory Toyos. No issues with the slightly wider footprint (20mm). I am now much more comfortable with the 2 wheel drive on my CX5 during a Minnesota winter!

Last edited:
Back