New CX-9 Grand Touring/Tire Concerns

We had a few inches of snow and now freezing rain. The roads look awful. I'll be testing the S/T II's to and from church this morning and then possibly this afternoon as well and I'll report back this evening.

The roads weren't as bad as they looked, but I did notice an immediate improvement, naturally. There was still some spinning on the slushy, snowy hills in our subdivision, but 100% better than the Duelers. I think these Toyo tires are going to work out well as a compromise between safety and performance. I will post again when I have more experience to go on...

Drove my Blizzak DM-Z3's last night during the major snowstorm after midnight. Had no issues driving down the completely snow-covered Route 290 Highway here in central mass. Passed quite a few other accidents on the opposite side of the highway. Zoomed along around 55-ish and very, very focused.

The Duelers are totally crap in snow

Here in Chicago area...these Duelers are not just bad, but flat out dangerous!

I just ordered the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. I prefer Continentals but they do not make one in our size.

Anyone here that does NOT like their Yokohama tires? What are some better tire options (if any)?

Thanks.

I was going to get some Blizzaks along with new rims from Tirerack, but after some thought I decided to save $2K and try a different brand of all-seasons - winter tires are definitely recommended, but I am pretty comfortable driving in snow as long as the tires are decent.

So I had the 20inch Michelin Latitude Tour HPs put on yesterday and the difference was incredible. Good traction in the snow, good handling and the steering felt a lot tighter (in a good way). Several different dealers had recommended this tire to me for winter (since winter tires were impossible to find). So far I'm pretty happy.

So I had the 20inch Michelin Latitude Tour HPs put on yesterday and the difference was incredible. Good traction in the snow, good handling and the steering felt a lot tighter (in a good way). Several different dealers had recommended this tire to me for winter (since winter tires were impossible to find). So far I'm pretty happy.

Wow...you must've gone with the 255/50R20 size, correct? When I searched, these do not come in our OEM size of 245/50R20. Tirerack also rates this tire as extremely good in winter snow & ice.

The Latitude Tour HP is Michelin's Highway All-Season light truck tire developed for the drivers of premium crossover and sport utility vehicles. Used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on Acura, BMW, Lexus and others, Latitude Tour HP tires were designed to combine enhanced durability with confidence in virtually any type of weather, including in light snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP

These tires are what they should be putting on the CX9's. I can see why they don't though, since they list for $285 ea. in the 255/50R20 size on Tirerack.

Like brownghost, I am quite comfortable driving in bad weather. The fact that we made it from Plymouth, MA to Plymouth, NH at all New Year's Eve in a blizzard with two balded Duelers is a testament to that, I think. My wife may disagree though. ;)

So far I am very content with the purchase of the Toyo Proxes S/T II's in 245/50R20. Cornering and stopping on snow covered roads is a breeze now. The true test of grip is to stop in the middle of a hill and see how hard it is to start back up. This is doable in the S/Ts but you have to watch the throttle! I'm sure it's that way with any tire that isn't dedicated for winter/snow use only or studded.

Last edited:
Wow...you must've gone with the 255/50R20 size, correct? When I searched, these do not come in our OEM size of 245/50R20. Tirerack also rates this tire as extremely good in winter snow & ice.

yes - I got the 245/50R20. I was told they were only recently made available in Canada. Now after a few more days of driving with these tires I am even happier - infinitely better than the Duellers....

Yokohama Parada Spec-X...WOW!! What a difference compared to stock Bridgestones.

Very impressed with these tires. Cuts right through whatever mother nature here in Chicago winter, throws at it! :)

(2thumbs) Highly recommended for our CX-9's!(2thumbs)

Seems like most folks running the Yokohama and the Toyo report snow weather gains (at least in the stock size).

It would be nice to know which is the better all-weather tire, given that the tread designs differ significantly.

Here in Chicago area...these Duelers are not just bad, but flat out dangerous!

I just ordered the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. I prefer Continentals but they do not make one in our size.

Anyone here that does NOT like their Yokohama tires? What are some better tire options (if any)?

Thanks.

You'll love the Spec-X on your CX-9.

No offense intended, but Continental doesn't even make the short list, the ones I ran on my '99 Benz were shot in 12K miles, whereas comparably sized Michelins went 38K miles on the same car.

You'll love the Spec-X on your CX-9.
None taken...The Continental ContiExtreme on my Speed6 are more than halfway gone after 14k miles!! By 20k (if not earlier), they will need replacing.

500+ miles on my new Parada Spec-X & loving every mile of it! :)

Here's another report on the Toyo Proxes ST II's ...

Last week we had a couple significant snowfalls and I got a chance to tool around with the new tires some, as I have been all winter. I was killing some time waiting for the bus with my kids and a neighbor friend and decided to have some fun. We live at the very end of a cul-de-sac, so I started looping around the circle and gunning the engine while turning to try and get the car to doughnut. I was able to get all four wheels spinning simultaneously (or so it seemed from the tire marks) and the car held the line well. I even got the back end to fish tail by really laying on it hard and I never felt out of control of the car for an instant.

I can now say that after having these tires for almost a full winter that I would definitely recommend them as "all season" alternatives to getting dedicated snow tires for those who live in areas that receive a modest amount of snow and ice. I have yet to encounter conditions that these tires cannot handle, and I have not been left spinning my wheels once as I had been almost constantly with the HP Duelers.

Last edited:
Wow lots of distaste for the OEM Duelers. Checking Bridgstone's site, these tires are OEM for Acura MDX, Toyota Highlander, some Mercedes cars, BMW X5 and others.

Seriously, is it the tire or the AWD not working optimally? I just picked up my CX-9 Saturday and while I do not particularly like the tread design, I am curious to see how it handles in the rain then snow when it hits NJ in January.

My other vehicle is a 2005 SRT-10 Viper Ram and it runs Pirelli Scorpion Zeros and is my daily driver even in snow. (up to 2 inches on the street)
I make it fine since I drive cautiously.
I really think AWD is a misnomer as far as what this vehicle or any other can really do. I grant this is not my jeep grand cherokee which was a real mud digger if it wanted to be especially with low 4wd engaged but I will compare the 9 to the Chrysler Pacifica but better because the Pacifica had a fluid controlled AWD with zero brains and the CX-9 has the electronic controls.

The Pacifica in snow was fine (even with crappy Michelin tires it had) as long as you drove as if it was snow on the ground not with snow on the ground and you think it is 70 degree summer day.

I guess lots has to do with driving habits but from all the threads on this subject, I am sure the tires are fine but there are better choices which enhance stability and control in snow and rain.

I will however post my thoughts once I drive her in the rain and again in the snow.

Mark

Might be pretty lame to say but, tire pressures always need to be checked. too much or too little will cause wear and traction problems. My tires were at 45psi the 2nd morning after I bought it and I adjusted to 35psi (door says 34psi) and boy the ride is much better and I am sure the traction will be better as well.

We will see.. :D

I agree, checking the tread of all available tires, the Yoko's to me have the best water displacement design and with that slush too. I am just going to give the duelers a shot and report back what I find out.

The mention of starting in 2 when in snow conditions is a great tip... Thanks

Wow lots of distaste for the OEM Duelers. Checking Bridgstone's site, these tires are OEM for Acura MDX, Toyota Highlander, some Mercedes cars, BMW X5 and others.

I guess lots has to do with driving habits but from all the threads on this subject, I am sure the tires are fine but there are better choices which enhance stability and control in snow and rain.

Coming from just driving cars my entire life for 19 years and having bought the CX-9 last year, I don't think the tires are all that bad as others have put it. Of course driving conditions may vary depending on where the members are located, and I can only offer my opinion on where I live.

Bought it in Sept, drove it in metro Detroit winter and it wasn't slipping and sliding as some have put it. I've driven it on narrow back roads that were somewhat unploughed and didn't encounter any issues.

Of course when I reported this previously on this forum, I've been accused of not driving in real world. Go figure.

I know a SUV (ground clearance) allows me to go where my car would have been stuck, but I also know with AWD, it helps me get going, but not stopping. So, I always treat the CX-9 like I'm still driving my car.

When the tires need replacing, it'll be Yokos for sure. I've great experience with Yokos on my cars.

When the time comes, I will replace them with a tire I do research on and that I like the warranty, specifications and tread design. Those items have yet to fail me in tire choosing and I will stick with what I know.

The two biggest problems with the Duelers are specifically ice, not snow, and performing more and more poorly as they wear. They were fine on dry when they were new, and okay in snow. By 20K, they would spin on dry pavement on a straight start.

Sorry, I can't help it. This is what you said :) I assume when you said worthless tires even on dry, you mean at 20k, they are worthless on dry.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123743774

I dumped mine at 25k. Penny test failed. Absolutely worthless tires even on dry.

Back