New CX-5 but old Winter Rims/Tires?

Spike1958

:
2015 CX-5 GS
I have just ordered a 2023 CX-5 that is on a ship from Japan. It is the GT model, nothing added, so it comes with the stock 225 55R19 rims and tires.
We will trade in our 2015 CX-5 GS model that was also stock. It has 225 65R17 rims and tires. I have a set of winter rims and tires in the same size.

Can I use my 225 65R17 winter rims and tires on my new 2023 when winter comes around. I'm not really up on changing tire sizes and stuff. I know they both have a 5 bolt pattern, but other than that, I don't know if they will fit. The hub size could be different for all I know.

Or should I not bother and just get a new set of winter rims and tires in the 225 55R19 size.

thanks guys

Dont know about 2015 gen1 models but on the Gen2 models 2017 and newer - all petrol trims (except Turbo as it has bigger brake discs) can use either the factory 17 or 19 wheels without problems. You can always try the 2015 wheels once you get the car.

The only difference is your 2015 used the ABS system for TPMS and the 2023 should have transmitters in the wheels. So you'd have to buy some pressure transmitters and have them installed in the winter wheel setup (or have error messages when those are on).

Not a huge expense, probably $200ish to get it done maybe (I'm just guessing)

But the 2015 wheels should physically fit no problem

You should be able to swap them right on, just make sure the tires aren't too old (7+ years).

It is the age of the tires which matters, not how long you’ve owned them. The DOT date code lets you know the manufacture date. When should you toss out old tires? Some makers recommend replacing them six or seven years after the manufacture date, others like Michelin and Continental say ten years.

IMG_3325.jpeg

I upgraded my Gen 1 17" winter rims with the following AUTEL MX-sensor's when I got my new 2018 Gen 2 CX5. They are readily available on Amazon and eBay. My Mazada dealer also sold them, but at a slightly higher price.

autel sensor (2).jpg

I have just ordered a 2023 CX-5 that is on a ship from Japan. It is the GT model, nothing added, so it comes with the stock 225 55R19 rims and tires.
We will trade in our 2015 CX-5 GS model that was also stock. It has 225 65R17 rims and tires. I have a set of winter rims and tires in the same size.

Can I use my 225 65R17 winter rims and tires on my new 2023 when winter comes around. I'm not really up on changing tire sizes and stuff. I know they both have a 5 bolt pattern, but other than that, I don't know if they will fit. The hub size could be different for all I know.

Or should I not bother and just get a new set of winter rims and tires in the 225 55R19 size.

thanks guys
What is the size of your winter wheel/tires for your 2015? If they're 17" with 225/65-17 tires, these are the same size as the factory tires from lower trims, so no difference.

Definitely do not give the dealer your winter tire set when you trade in your 2015. You will also get $2000 to $5000 more for your old car by selling privately.

Just realized this is an older thread. Still hope this helps someone.

Back