new 2015 owner - when to do first and subsequential oil changes?

unknown00

i'm use to doing first oil change at 1k miles then 3-4k miles increments there after. i was told for this car once every 5k miles is good.

are engines really that advanced and modern now? when should i do my first oil change and after?

I just changed my initial oil at 4K miles. I'm also going with 6 months or 7500 mile schedule.

I am a long term Amsoil user but heard such great things about the Mazda Moly oil I am going to make an exception for the CX-5.

maz0w20_bottle_front_1.jpg

It is cheaper than the Amsoil I would have used anyway.

I start thinking about it at 5,000 miles, and make sure I get it done before 7,500 miles. Because that's a long time between oil changes, I use full-synthetic, whether it calls for it or not. Just feel like it's less likely to break down over that many miles between changes compared to conventional oil.

I do my tire rotation and wheel alignment at the same time, which I rather be closer to 5,000 miles, so, it's usually done much closer to 5K, than 7.5K.

I changed to Penzoil pure 0-20 at 3K miles, just changed it again at 10,800 miles. This oil is pretty cheap with rebates and free filters, after rebate, my cost for a bosch filter and 5 qts (from autozone) will be just $25 for everything.
Is the oil any good? Well, just wait...I have a sample for blackstone for analysis, will toss in a mailbox tomorrow.

I did the first at 4,000 miles with Mazda oil then every 5-6,000 miles. Oil filter at every change.

When I had my 08" VW we had to take care of our oil changes same s as with our Mazdas, at 5-7.5k. In 2010, came the free maintenance at VW. They made the decision, that the oil changes should be done at 10k.
So when you have to pay for it, has to be done at 5k or 7.5k and when they have to pay for it, it's fine at 10k.
I won't be doing it sooner then 7.5k. It is just a waist and we are polluting the planet even more.

I changed to Penzoil pure 0-20 at 3K miles, just changed it again at 10,800 miles. This oil is pretty cheap with rebates and free filters, after rebate, my cost for a bosch filter and 5 qts (from autozone) will be just $25 for everything.
Is the oil any good? Well, just wait...I have a sample for blackstone for analysis, will toss in a mailbox tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing results. I usually use pennzoil too.

I firmly believe you won't go wrong following the manufactures recommendation of going 5,000 miles on the first oil change but, it can be detrimental if you change too soon by not letting the assembly lubes protect the engine during the break-in/burnishing period. Ed

I just changed my initial oil at 4K miles. I'm also going with 6 months or 7500 mile schedule.

I am a long term Amsoil user but heard such great things about the Mazda Moly oil I am going to make an exception for the CX-5.

maz0w20_bottle_front_1.jpg

It is cheaper than the Amsoil I would have used anyway.

A great robust additive package oil with plenty of moly according to many on the bobistheoilguy.com forum.
I asked my service dept what they use and thay said Castrol Edge Professional OE in bulk.I could pay extra and get the Mazda oil but I don't know if that oil would really be used.
The Edge OE is said to be very good oil.
Castrol sponsors Mazda racing so Castrol in bulk is much cheaper than the Mazda oil in qts for dealers.

i'm use to doing first oil change at 1k miles then 3-4k miles increments there after. i was told for this car once every 5k miles is good.
are engines really that advanced and modern now? when should i do my first oil change and after?

There's a lot of technology and research that has gone into modern oil formulations compared to yesteryear. Changing your oil every 3,000 miles is a big waste of money; as others have said, 5,000 to 7,500 miles is early enough, and I'd say if you go full synthetic, you could even stretch it to 10,000 miles. I've spent a few years in the industry, and this is one of the little secrets my colleagues don't like to talk about. ;)

Back