Need Help Diagnosing - Bad Engine/Transmission Mount?

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport, 6MT - - 1986 Mazda B2000, 5 Speed
2015 CX-5 Sport Manual Transmission with 53K miles: After leaving my car parked on an incline for 6 days, it now makes a noise when the throttle is floored and then released. The sound happens after the throttle is released (while moving/under load) and is 1 tap/thud, like the sound of a foot tap on hard plastic. The sound feels/sounds like it is coming from right below the floor of the pedals. Any ideas? Bad engine mount or transmission mount? Lower control arm bushing?

Is it related to the pedal, or does it have to do with engine rpm? Engine off or on?

I don't know why parking on an incline would cause any damage to motor mounts or control arms. What else was going on?

If the transmission was in first like it should be on a hill but the parking brake wasn’t engaged first, it’s my understanding that the strain would be put on the transmission/engine and therefore the mounts

Mazdiod2: not sure parking was the issue, I just figured I would mention that it was parked for longer than I've ever parked it before (6 days) and it was on an incline. Nothing else was problematic before i parked it for a week. Pretty sure it is not related to the pedal, it has to do with torque being put on the engine then taken off. Driving/shifting slowly through the gears does not make any noise, it is when I accelerate hard and then let off the throttle.

Ruthrj: I normally do pull the e-brake then put it in first gear. I can't be positive I did it properly this time around, and now worried I put strain on the transmission.

Those mounts might be kind of hard to see.
Sounds like you might have to look underneath.
You accelerate hard and lift off the pedal, leaving it in gear, and the hard deceleration causes the noise?

Correct. To recreate the noise I accelerate hard/floor it, then lift off the throttle (with the gear still engaged). After the throttle is released, I hear the noise (always just 1 "tap").

2015 CX-5 Sport Manual Transmission with 53K miles: After leaving my car parked on an incline for 6 days, it now makes a noise when the throttle is floored and then released. The sound happens after the throttle is released (while moving/under load) and is 1 tap/thud, like the sound of a foot tap on hard plastic. The sound feels/sounds like it is coming from right below the floor of the pedals. Any ideas? Bad engine mount or transmission mount? Lower control arm bushing?
Sounded like one or more engine or transmission mounts are acting up based on the description. You can have a second person on the driver seat racing and easing the engine in neutral while you are watching the engine movement and hearing the thud with the hood open. And located all mount locations (3 or 4?) and check the leak physically to verify. It’s not unusual to have failed mounts for CX-5 at 53K miles.

Before throwing any $$$ at it, please verify all of the COWL bolts are tight. I have seen a few others chasing a mysterious knock/tap/clunk from the 2013-2015 range that is solved with a cowl bolts torque check. There is a TSB out there / on here for the proper torque and bolts affected.

Last edited:
I have replaced my mid/back mount(between engine and trans) mount, because I had excessive engine/transmission movement.
Pull the emergency brake open the hood and slightly touch the throttle pedal and see how much it is moving the engine. Or on a jack, push the gas pedal and than brake quickly.

This is not the first time I heard of engine mount issue with Skyactiv engines. Hope OP can give us update later. On the side, I am wondering if engine mount issue is covered by powertrain warranty. Anyone knows?

This is not the first time I heard of engine mount issue with Skyactiv engines. Hope OP can give us update later. On the side, I am wondering if engine mount issue is covered by powertrain warranty. Anyone knows?
It's a wear item, I'd be surpised.

surprised. The primary engine mount contains fluid othe ones just rip/wear out. You can get poly or hardened rubber mounts from aftermarket

they are covered

they are covered
Yes, engine and transmission mounts are covered by Mazda’s 5-year / 60K-mile powertrain warranty, although OP’s 2015 CX-5 Sport with 53K miles shouldn’t have it (more than 5 years; 2016 CX-5 came out early in Feb. 2015 for US market) unless he has a CPO warranty.
https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets...ed-warranty-booklet/2014-warranty-booklet.pdf

Engine mounts and the valve cover are absolutely covered under the powertrain warranty (page 20). The CPO warranty bumps the powertrain warranty to 7 years/100k miles. What was the first in-service date of the vehicle?
DDD64943-B0CC-418D-9888-B0AB1178029D.jpeg

Back