Need computer help bad!!

2K3 MSP

Contributor
:
Spicy Orange MSP #1287
My wife brought over her friends desktop because she was having issues with it. Said it had adware/spyware on it. I turn it on, which takes forever, and start removing known useless programs, and install 2 programs which I use on my own computer. Got rid of all the adware/spyware except for one thing that keeps popping up from Microsofts security center. I try to install a free trial version of Norton Anti-Virus 2009, and it needs to restart to complete the install. Now the damn thing wont start. It keeps freezing at the "Welcome" screen. It doesn't give me an option to boot in safe mode, so hopw do I get around that? There's gotta be a way, right? The computer is a Dell Dimension E310.

If she has the OS reinstall CD (I assume she's running Windows XP), then turn on the computer, enter the BIOS, make sure that the CD drive is first in the boot sequence, pop in the reinstall CD, save and exit out of the BIOS, then repair or reinstall Windows when prompted.

You are also going to need to buy a good antivirus program. I've had excellent luck with BitDefender.

and push 'f8' before windows starts to boot and it will give you the boot options

if your getting to the welcome screen you can get into safe mode. when you see the loading bar on teh windows screen keep hitting F8, it will give you the option

Yep I had same problem with my comp. It would load windows then automatically restart on its own. F8 let me reboot.

I have norton on my comp and it detects like 10 viruses and a couple trojans yet it always fails to repair them. My comp runs fine and when its gets sloppy I just reformat to a couple months ago. Has been working for me for 5 years :).

FYI, there are quite a few trojans that make themselves look like Microsoft security center. If you are getting constant pop-ups from something like this, update and run Spybot. It will find the problem, but won't be able to remove it because it will be running in the background. Spybot will ask if you want to run another scan on the next start-up. That will actually remove the problem. I've done this a bunch of times, unfortunately...

if your getting to the welcome screen you can get into safe mode. when you see the loading bar on teh windows screen keep hitting F8, it will give you the option

Yep, on computers I don't own, I just see the boot POST screen(which in your case would be when the big blue DELL letters pop up and it does a memory test) and start hitting f8 until it shows the windows boot menu options. Try running the AV you've already installed while in safe mode, or save an antivirus installer and a spyware remover on a USB memory and pop it in, since you won't have networking turned on while in safe mode.

If the AV/spyware tools fail to pick up anything, or if it still won't go past the Welcome screen, in Safe mode try to see if it will let you select a "restore point". Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools and select a restore point from a date while the computer was still sort of working. Keep in mind you'll need to run the antivirus again, but hopefully you'll know which programs did the trick the first time, or how to install them without making your computer go south.

If you're trying to run an antivirus/spyware program in "normal" windows (out of safe mode) and it wont start or keeps crashing, the virus is probably the one causing this. You'll need to open the task manager (ctrl+alt+del and task manager or right click on the task bar and select task manager) and kill any suspicious programs that your user has started; for example I recently killed some spyware that in the taskmanager tried to hide itself as iexplore.exe(internet explorer, while I had no browser windows open), after killing it I was able to run my AV tools.

As regarding to programs AVG Free is a good free antivirus, and spybot search and destroy, cccleaner and adaware are all free and combined should take care of any spyware/malware. If you're really tech savvy, also donwload Hijack this! and you can manually delete offensive programs from the start up lists. Beware that you can make a serious mistake that will cripple your computer with Hijack this if you don't know what to look for.

Hope this helps

if they dont acre about the data, and its a dell that hasnt been formatted, when you see the blue bell in the beginnning, hit CTRL+F11 and it will let you format it back to factory, they put an image on the pc to restore it (no CD needed)

Thanks for the info guys. I myself, only use Spybot and Adaware and a pop up blocker and never run into issues with my computer. All free programs, and they do the job. This comp. had an expired version of Norton on it, so i tried the free trial. It's gotta be something with that, so I'll start there. Oh, I couldn't get disk defragmenter to open either. She's got like 65% free memory, so I know it's not too full. Wierd...

sometimes norton can cause issues....depends where it is in the line up of startup programs and it also loves to load up on the registry

I got some stuff figured out, but that damn computer kept freezing on me. Sooo frustrating! She's just gonna have to call someone that can do it faster than me. Thanks for the help though!

Back