Need a Test Car Mazda 3 Turbo Kit

We are looking for a 2004 - 2005 2.3L MANUAL transmission Mazda 3 to install our turbo kit on. We estimate that the car will be in our shop for up to 2 weeks. The kit has already been beta tested on a 2006 for the last 10k miles. Due to the different ECU’s the Mazda 3’s have we need an earlier production car (2004 2005) to verify the tune we have. We are looking for a participant in the Los Angeles area and the pricing will be at a substantial discount.

The kit includes the following:
- Garrett GT2871R Turbo
- Tri-Point Engineering Intercooler
- Tri-Point Engineering Stainless steel Down Pipe
- Tri-Point Engineering Aluminum Intake Piping w/ Green air filter
- Mazdaspeed Blow off Valve
- AEM FIC w/ Bosch Fuel Injectors

The power is in the range of 210 HP @ 6 lbs of boost, stock exhaust (at the wheels on our Dyna Pak Dyno). Please contact us to inquire.

(drive2)

We have been receiving many questions our turbo kit, components, and pricing. We will try to address many of these questions below:

General kit components and power level: This may answer several general questions, as they are mostly "Why is the kit the way it is?" The goals of the kit are to have a solid, basic, bolt-on turbo kit that works well on a street car with minimal fuss. This means that it should not require a lot of abnormal work to install (cutting, welding, etc.). It should not violate the factory ECU functions or cause check engine lights. This also means that there should not be issues with the MAF sensor reading improperly at idle or full boost, and that the entire O2 sensor system should still function, including closed-loop functionality on newer factory wideband cars. This kit/power level is designed as a great starting point. The major expensive hardware (this means turbo, intercooler, piping, down pipe, and electronics) is all capable of producing more power if the customer wants to further upgrade their car. However, for most customers taking the leap to turbo charging a normally aspirated car, it is important to first have a baseline that is tested, reliable, and without factory ECU problems or codes.

Turbo selection: We do not want customers to have to upgrade the expensive, major parts of the kit. If you buy a basic kit and want to drive it around like it is, then it will work great. However, if we had used a turbo that was just barely enough for the power level, as soon as you decide you want to take the next step with your car and increase the power level you would have to throw out the most expensive component of the turbo kit. Purchasing a new turbo often means modifying the down pipe, intercooler piping, etc. and we wanted to help customers avoid having to make changes like this until they are well beyond the basic kit power level. Supplying the kit with a high quality turbo with plenty of headroom seemed like a logical way to do this.

Blow off / Recirculation valve: This is an OEM Mazda part sourced from the Mazdaspeed Miata. It is a decent size for a street car and is easy to re-circulate.

Installation: There is no cutting or drilling required to install the turbo kit. There are a couple of heater hoses that must be snipped and lengthened, but they are easily replaceable should you want to return the car to stock.

Electronics: There is nothing physically special about the FIC we are using. However, we have done a lot of research into the Mazda3 electrical system and we have come up with a tuning strategy that allows the factory ECU to continue operating as it should. This was a very important goal for us in the development of the kit, and we faced many hurdles in making the electronics work properly. This means that you do not have to install a standalone to make the car operate at the correct air-fuel ratios, the factory diagnostic system and all sensors are still functional, and the car runs in closed-loop at the appropriate times. Just to be clear, the AEM FIC box used in this kit is NOT an AEM standalone. It is a piggyback box that the customer must splice into their existing harness. The installation instructions are very clear and anyone with competent wiring skills should have no problem with the installation.

Pricing: We are still sourcing a few pieces of the kit in an attempt to keep the cost down, so we don't have a final price yet. The kit should be ready at the end of January or February.

Thanks For all your input,
Tri-Point Engineering

Last edited:
s*** I would have shipped it out there...easy to do in my industry. My whole family is in Cali, was raised there. Trust me I would have been the ginnie pig without a doubt.

Pics....

turbokit.jpg

What is a mazdaspeed blow off valve?

Do you have a ballpark figure for MSRP?

SOMEBODY DO THIS!!!! The wife's 3 needs a turbo.

wow wish i wasn't on the other end of the country as i have other cars available and could be without one for 2 weeks.... if you guys are hard up and want to help with shipping it out there and back let me know... lol its worth a shot it is a modified car does it need to be stock?

We have been receiving many questions our turbo kit, components, and pricing. We will try to address many of these questions below:

General kit components and power level: This may answer several general questions, as they are mostly "Why is the kit the way it is?" The goals of the kit are to have a solid, basic, bolt-on turbo kit that works well on a street car with minimal fuss. This means that it should not require a lot of abnormal work to install (cutting, welding, etc.). It should not violate the factory ECU functions or cause check engine lights. This also means that there should not be issues with the MAF sensor reading improperly at idle or full boost, and that the entire O2 sensor system should still function, including closed-loop functionality on newer factory wideband cars. This kit/power level is designed as a great starting point. The major expensive hardware (this means turbo, intercooler, piping, down pipe, and electronics) is all capable of producing more power if the customer wants to further upgrade their car. However, for most customers taking the leap to turbo charging a normally aspirated car, it is important to first have a baseline that is tested, reliable, and without factory ECU problems or codes.

Turbo selection: We do not want customers to have to upgrade the expensive, major parts of the kit. If you buy a basic kit and want to drive it around like it is, then it will work great. However, if we had used a turbo that was just barely enough for the power level, as soon as you decide you want to take the next step with your car and increase the power level you would have to throw out the most expensive component of the turbo kit. Purchasing a new turbo often means modifying the down pipe, intercooler piping, etc. and we wanted to help customers avoid having to make changes like this until they are well beyond the basic kit power level. Supplying the kit with a high quality turbo with plenty of headroom seemed like a logical way to do this.

Blow off / Recirculation valve: This is an OEM Mazda part sourced from the Mazdaspeed Miata. It is a decent size for a street car and is easy to re-circulate.

Installation: There is no cutting or drilling required to install the turbo kit. There are a couple of heater hoses that must be snipped and lengthened, but they are easily replaceable should you want to return the car to stock.

Electronics: There is nothing physically special about the FIC we are using. However, we have done a lot of research into the Mazda3 electrical system and we have come up with a tuning strategy that allows the factory ECU to continue operating as it should. This was a very important goal for us in the development of the kit, and we faced many hurdles in making the electronics work properly. This means that you do not have to install a standalone to make the car operate at the correct air-fuel ratios, the factory diagnostic system and all sensors are still functional, and the car runs in closed-loop at the appropriate times. Just to be clear, the AEM FIC box used in this kit is NOT an AEM standalone. It is a piggyback box that the customer must splice into their existing harness. The installation instructions are very clear and anyone with competent wiring skills should have no problem with the installation.
Pricing: We are still sourcing a few pieces of the kit in an attempt to keep the cost down, so we don't have a final price yet. The kit should be ready at the end of January or February.

Thanks For all your input,
Tri-Point Engineering

Hey Nicole, I had posted the question on the other forums but it kinda got drowned with all the BS thread jacking..lol.

Any plans to make this kit available to the 2.0L crowd? I am assuming the parts would be easily moved over, but just the tuning may be different.

Thanks.

Hey Nicole, I had posted the question on the other forums but it kinda got drowned with all the BS thread jacking..lol.

Any plans to make this kit available to the 2.0L crowd? I am assuming the parts would be easily moved over, but just the tuning may be different.

Thanks.

Not at this time, we have only been focusing on the 2.3L for now.

Come on people! If Tri-point was in Florida, you would have my wife's 3 already! Any chance of coming East? :D

Looks like a quality system. I'm anxious to find out more details such as availability and pricing.

Back