Nearest Mazda Dealer is 2 hours Away...How Big a Disadvantage?

Relax bro, no one is telling you how to drive your car. All I said was driving around these SUVs in that manner is stupid and pointless that's all. It's called an opinion. If you want to 'zoom zoom' around town in your CX-5 as you say, cool that's great. It's your car and you can do what you want with it. I personally don't get any kind of satisfaction driving like that in the same way I do lets say a Porsche but that's just me. I just think it's funny to hear people drive these type of cars in that manner that's all. Don't get all offended over it.

Have a great 4th of July!

Well, you make it sound like we are driving them like we are on the track. We are not. We're just not grannying them, and when you don't want to granny them they are great versus most of the CUV competition. ;)

This is an enthusiast site. Naturally we are not all going to be soccer moms or only seeing the car as nothing more than a toaster. So it has just been really off-puting, Mango. Like I said to Uno, I can respect the perspective of it only as a toaster, but you guys don't need to be an ass about it to those of us who don't. :)

Have a great 4th as well!

Last edited:
"It corners better" some say. No one said it handles like a sports car. Just that it's better then most. Even pretty much every pro review says that. Many people here that drove several have also said the same. You're the one that exaggerates like we are calling them sports cars. But it's all good, fellow enthusiast.
I'm in a good mood today. :D

Happy and safe 4th all.

Didn't know Jeep had a Hemi.

You suck! Took you just over 9 seconds to get to 60? That's a ROFL. I can do better then that. :D

Really?? Were you really ROFL? Come on man. hehehe :D
Dude, no one said it's the quickest. And you aren't the only one that's owned fast cars or knows anything abut them.

No one is going to fault your opinion. The only issue that I have with you (and some other folks seem to have with you) is how opinionated you are. I've called you out about it before. You're just like "Yea, I am opinionated. Deal with it". Sorry, man, but... being OPINIONATED isn't a good thing. You come across as a dick... (I know I know... deal with it, right? LOL), if I can be totally honest. Recognize: you aren't always right, you don't know everything and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
It's pretty much exactly why so many people think Mango is a prick. It's not because he likes his CRV so much...

I am all for debate and STRONG opinions and I am not afraid to defend mine, obvs. But I listen to others don't tell them they are wrong for feeling a certain way.

There's a pretty thick line between having an opinion...and being opinionated. Love ya' man... but tone it down, jesus.

opinionated
əˈpinyəˌnādəd
adjective
conceitedly assertive and dogmatic in one's opinions.
"an arrogant and opinionated man"
synonyms: dogmatic, of fixed views, dictatorial, pontifical, domineering, pompous, self-important, arrogant; More

You're kind of right. I am opinionated, and yes, my opinion on that is one of apathy. I really don't care. However, yes, I can also be wrong and have been wrong and again I am sure will be wrong.

Yes, the jeeps had hemis beginning in the early 2000s? Until present. They are decently quick. The bigger hemi, in the srt, is a beast though. 0 to 60 mid 4s.

I simply do not understand buying a cuv because of driving feel. It's like buying a corvette over a viper because of miles per gallon. It's exactly like that, to my way of thinking.

Unobtanium;6527257 I simply do not understand buying a cuv because of driving feel. It's like buying a corvette over a viper because of miles per gallon. It's exactly like that said:
There are really two camps at play IMO. Those who have multi-car households and those who are single-car households. I only have one car, no spouse, and don't have the discretionary income for another car. (although even if I did, I'd likely spend it elsewhere rather than another car) So, for me, I want something that combines functionality and fun to drive - where the handling/feel comes in. For those in the multi-car households, I can completely see your point.

There are really two camps at play IMO. Those who have multi-car households and those who are single-car households. I only have one car, no spouse, and don't have the discretionary income for another car. (although even if I did, I'd likely spend it elsewhere rather than another car) So, for me, I want something that combines functionality and fun to drive - where the handling/feel comes in. For those in the multi-car households, I can completely see your point.

I am completely in your camp as well, as I am skewing my D/I ratios. Part of being in this camp though, is that you don't want repair bills, because just one serious repair is equal to tacking on $200/mo to your car note for a year...and you could have had a whole lot more car for $200-300/mo more! So to me, it makes zero sense to make ANY compromises on that front for the minute "gains" in handling you get. At the time I bought my CX5, CR rated it as the most reliable CUV on the road, from what I recall. I had ignored CR previously...and I paid for it bad! So I went with CR, and so far I have been rewarded.

Now, considering though that you may be fine with a $3-5000 repair bill at the 120K mile mark in exchange for a bit more lively CUV, I totally respect that.

You would understand if you drove a Jeep Cherokee or a Honda CRV. Yea, I said it. :D

Well, truth be told I did buy the Jeep for the 357hp/390#tq, the fact that it had a TON of luxury items (that I really miss), and one of the best AWD systems under $100K in America. So I kindof admit to it. My first experience was racing one in my 370Z on the highway. I beat it, but it was a LOT harder than I thought it should have been! Impressed me!

The CX5 is a limp dishrag in comparison, and only a tiny bit better in the corners and not any better really on braking, just based on "feel", after I installed new shocks/struts on the Jeep. And I lost all of my offroad capability, which really b lows.

But...it won't break (I'm hoping, so far, it's far more reliable than the Jeep at similar mileage).

So because i have more than 1 car to drive it doesn't matter if one is so boring it puts me to sleep, and is a 1 instead of idk 4 in terms of fun? Not for me..I will say that my affection for the the cx5 and of smaller lighter and more agile vehicles that ill always prefer would be significantly diminished if the roads i drove resembled a grid and hwy speed limits were +10 or 20 of my typical 55 (some are 65 but don't drive those with any frequency.)

So the cx5 is the car i need in that it "does the s*** i need it to do"(which isn't terribly demanding honestly it gets me through winters well and has good cargo capacity is reasonably economical to own) but its also the cuv i want because im not miserable to spend time driving it because it tracks very well, doesn't feel like a wet noodle when tossed into corners, has nice firm seats and is quick enough to not be a road hazard and a nice shiftable tranny. I've praised the crv plenty on here but i don't need the added space, hate the transmission and not a fan of the design inside or out, steering was just ok..but i should buy it because its a few 10ths quicker to 60 and stops 5' shorter, and would give me a g or 2 more back in 6 years, right? Wrong. Numbers give you bragging rights, feel gives you (me) joy and even for my dd/winter beater it matters and i thank myself for not choosing among the myriad other soulless shitboxes in this class. Cx5 the perfect all around vehicle? Well it serves my needs and addresses most of my wants for 30k..if i could swap the diesel into my car i think that would be the pinnacle for me;) Do i still want a sports car? Yes, of course. Would i still want a sports car if i was stupid enough to buy the srt jgc in trying to fullfill everything all in 1? Unquestionably yes.

Last edited:
So because i have more than 1 car to drive it doesn't matter if one is so boring it puts me to sleep, and is a 1 instead of idk 4 in terms of fun? Not for me..I will say that my affection for the the cx5 and of smaller lighter and more agile vehicles that ill always prefer would be significantly diminished if the roads i drove resembled a grid and hwy speed limits were +10 or 20 of my typical 55 (some are 65 but don't drive those with any frequency.)

So the cx5 is the car i need in that it "does the s*** i need it to do"(which isn't terribly demanding honestly it gets me through winters well and has good cargo capacity is reasonably economical to own) but its also the cuv i want because im not miserable to spend time driving it because it tracks very well, doesn't feel like a wet noodle when tossed into corners, has nice firm seats and is quick enough to not be a road hazard and a nice shiftable tranny. I've praised the crv plenty on here but i don't need the added space, hate the transmission and not a fan of the design inside or out, steering was just ok..but i should buy it because its a few 10ths quicker to 60 and stops 5' shorter, and would give me a g or 2 more back in 6 years, right? Wrong. Numbers give you bragging rights, feel gives you (me) joy and even for my dd/winter beater it matters and i thank myself for not choosing among the myriad other soulless shitboxes in this class. Cx5 the perfect all around vehicle? Well it serves my needs and addresses most of my wants for 30k..if i could swap the diesel into my car i think that would be the pinnacle for me;) Do i still want a sports car? Yes, of course. Would i still want a sports car if i was stupid enough to buy the srt jgc in trying to fullfill everything all in 1? Unquestionably yes.

Can't argue your post. That said...since you're attacking the SRT Jeep and I've made it no secret I want one. It's not an attempt to "do everything". It's exactly the thing I want. AWD, good mileage on the highway (only 4-5mpg less than my CX5), and TONS of tech and luxury. I can pack it full of gear and hit the road and arrive 900 miles away feeling good and refreshed, and the nearly 500hp HEMI makes highway passing effortless.

That said, I do see myself also getting something like an FRS because I do admit to loving a "technical" car that you can flog the hell out of and not go to jail for in.

Again, that said, sounds like we have the same ideas about the CX5, except I cared more about reliability than cornering. When I DID drive the CX5, I did note that it felt like a family car instead of an SUV. That was kindof nice. The selling factor was the torque, regarding performance though. Lots of hills. Didn't want to have some limbdick redline-all-the-time vehicle. The CX5 is amazing in that regard.

Yes..cuv that drives like a pretty good family sedan with awd, and good low end grunt for the class..anything i was considering was going to be reliable..on paper anyway. As for the srt there's one at my office, is it cool yes, is it fun to smoke people..yes. If i had money i didn't know what to do with..maybe. Ill have the cx5 and the brz, pocket the change and live with getting smoked by an srt..so yeah I say stupid but i can easily see its appeal. For that to be my only car putting 25+k/yr on it would make a stupid financial decision look pretty good..

72k and all i did was upgrade the stereo and added a pano roof..those 295/45s should do great in snow. Its stupid $ and that's before you insure, gas, maintain and fix the s*** that will inevitably break...solidly in the unobtanium category for this guy..18 mpg @75, 14 overall and how many (not if.. )tickets year 1?

Last edited:
Yes..cuv that drives like a pretty good family sedan with awd, and good low end grunt for the class..anything i was considering was going to be reliable..on paper anyway. As for the srt there's one at my office, is it cool yes, is it fun to smoke people..yes. If i had money i didn't know what to do with..maybe. Ill have the cx5 and the brz, pocket the change and live with getting smoked by an srt..so yeah I say stupid but i can easily see its appeal. For that to be my only car putting 25+k/yr on it would make a stupid financial decision look pretty good..

Do you go on long road-trips with a fair amount of gear? That is where the SRT would shine, for ME. Otherwise, I'm with you on that.

72k and all i did was upgrade the stereo and added a pano roof..those 295/45s should do great in snow. Its stupid $ and that's before you insure, gas, maintain and fix the s*** that will inevitably break...solidly in the unobtanium category for this guy..

Why on earth buy a new one? I can walk down the street to the dealer and buy one with an unlimited powertrain warranty (miles and time, life of the vehicle!) with 20K miles or so on it for $55k. My days of buying new cars are DONE.

Not a ton of long trips 1-250 miles about as far away as mazdas gone but id have no issues driving it all day..more than that its been wifes highlander which i actually don't loathe..it carries a ton of s*** the few times a year we need it to and with cooper srxs on it got her ass up the driveway without me having to salt the piss out of it:)

I think the more interesting thing here is that you're averaging 30mpg. I thought you never get above 27-28 if you're lucky? Thought you hover around 24mpg? Was this trip magically better for you? Or have you been BSing us this whole time with your complaining of the CX5 and its reportedly awful gas mileage.

Last edited:
Regular one with the HEMI. 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds, and it never stopped pulling. Here is a comparison for you (My Jeep, my CX5), and you can tell me...

My Jeep absolutely DOMINATED a CX5 in acceleration. I mean, dude....5 second disparity to 80? ROFL! That's like...American History X prison shower level domination.

Jesus that CX-5 took forever to get from 40-60.

I think the more interesting thing here is that you're averaging 30mpg. I thought you never get above 27-28 if you're lucky? Thought you hover around 24mpg? Was this trip magically better for you? Or have you been BSing us this whole time with your complaining of the CX5 and its reportedly awful gas mileage.

I had only driven it at slow speeds (40ish) other than the accel tests. It does well doing that.

Hahahahahaha -
On mpg note - Insisted on moly and i think its gotten better. In mornings I never ever hit less than 30 in mixed.

34 is a good day - 32 is normal. Thats fantastic. I was switching lanes trying to avoid the circular bump markers that separate them - the steering is so accurate i was able to do it all the time at 40 mph.

Great car. Absolutely worth 24 big benjamins I paid for.

Hahahahahaha -
On mpg note - Insisted on moly and i think its gotten better. In mornings I never ever hit less than 30 in mixed.

34 is a good day - 32 is normal. Thats fantastic. I was switching lanes trying to avoid the circular bump markers that separate them - the steering is so accurate i was able to do it all the time at 40 mph.

Great car. Absolutely worth 24 big benjamins I paid for.

I need an oil change again soon. Going to see if any dealer around here still carries the moly.

As to the 0-60 discussion, mine hits 60 pretty fast (for a CUV). Will have to see about counting how fast, but can say for sure it never feels like it's its lagging or taking forever.

Last edited:
Back