Navigation maps are updated for September

:
'20 CX-5 Signature
I just updated mine like 2 weeks ago. I assumed mine would have been the (then) latest from Jan 2020 since I bought my car at the end of June but they weren't.

The date you take delivery of your car doesn't determine or guarantee how old the NAV card is, unfortunately.

Knowing what I know now, one of the first things I'd do after taking delivery is check the firmware level and NAV card map date.

just paid US$135.75 for another 3 yrs map update to Mazda Connect this morning...

My 3 year new car subscription expired May of this year but I wound up buying the car when it came off lease. Bit the bullet and purchased a 3 year subscription for the Nav but...

Nav system won't load. Validated the SD card on Mazda ToolKit but the compass comes up (and also doesn't work) and now my sign recognition also isn't working. Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and that didn't help.

I had the dealer-installed Android Auto conversion kit done a year ago. Found some evidence of rodent (seeds) in the engine compartment and cabin filter. Less than 16k miles on the car. :cautious:

I updated SD card GPS maps to September 2020. Couple questions:
1. Does Mazda assign a map # or any info you can see from within the vehicle what Map you're using? I know the software shows it, just curious about once it is inserted into the SD card slot in the car.
2. Does anyone know how to update the Points of Interest? These are very dated

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for a more universal update for all POI's, such as updated restaurants. Restaurants seem to have the most name changes and it's apparent by the restaurant names it finds. My question is, how often does Mazda update the POI to go along with the map updates? I assume they update at some point during the map version software update.

The restaurant industry is highly volatile with many established locations shutting down and new ones popping up, particularly under the COVID turmoil. Not sure how quarterly updates can even keep pace with the changes. Thinking Google Maps would be a far better alternative than the Mazda Nav for current POI.

They didn´t update POI´s often, same as maps, instead you can use connected services which are up to date, in bonus you get traffic, weather and fuel prices online in HMI :)
alternativ you can use Android auto or Apple Carplay, but you then lose info in HUD.

The restaurant industry is highly volatile with many established locations shutting down and new ones popping up, particularly under the C-19 turmoil. Not sure how quarterly updates can even keep pace with the changes. Thinking Google Maps would be a far better alternative than the Mazda Nav for current POI.
I do use Google Maps all the time via Android Auto but the Mazda SD card GPS maps POI's are really dated! Just looking at local restaurants, it's showing restaurants that haven't been there for 6 years! I just don't know why when Mazda updates the driving maps ( Mazda toolbox ) they couldn't update the POI's ( hotels, schools, parks etc. ). I would like to think if you were to order a $300 SD card from a Mazda dealership that the POI's would be updated...hopefully. Maybe it's just that they know the SD card maps will go away over time as more and more people move to Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

I do use Google Maps all the time via Android Auto but the Mazda SD card GPS maps POI's are really dated! Just looking at local restaurants, it's showing restaurants that haven't been there for 6 years!
This is true for pretty much any non-crowdsourced map software (Garmin, Tom-tom etc). Their POIs are almost always several years out of date.

To be clear, these are not Mazda's maps. They are sourced by Navtek - Mazda just subscribes to them.

Just updated my maps yesterday.
It wouldn't finish the download the first time, after hours of trying. It finally just dropped out.
Man this Mazda toolbox thing is slow.
It finally updated itself after trying again, but still took close to two hours.
My little hand held TomTom GPS unit has lifetime free updates, and it updates a lot quicker, and without the drop outs.
Looks like this will be my last free update as well. My 3 years is up next month.
Guess I'll have to make a decision at some point in the future regarding paying for more updates.

fyi, I don't use my phone maps when travelling, as the roaming data charges are ridiculous,
and I don't really need a gps when I'm at home.
I use the car nav when out of town (or out of country).
I don't have any complaints about it, unlike a lot of people on here that seem to slag it all the time.
Works for me.
Cheers all. Keep safe.

fyi, I don't use my phone maps when travelling, as the roaming data charges are ridiculous,
and I don't really need a gps when I'm at home.
I use the car nav when out of town (or out of country).
I don't have any complaints about it, unlike a lot of people on here that seem to slag it all the time.
Works for me.
Cheers all. Keep safe.

Regarding using phone maps while travelling - download Google Maps, if you don't already have it. When you're on a wifi connection, you can actually download maps of areas that you specify so that you can use them even without a data connection. The only requirement is that you have a good GPS connection (which is built into the phone and doesn't cost money to use). I do this when I go out of the country. Worked great for when I went to Vegas and Hawaii.

^ - agree

Ditto for the 'Here' app and it's maps. The problem I found with Google was that the maps would time out and you'd have to download again. This didn't happen with Here. (Note that Here/Navteq are the people that supply the maps for the Mazda Nav.)

Back