Nagare no longer goes with the flow

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
car_photo_378016_25.jpg

Nagare is no more. Speaking to Mazda Europes British design boss Peter Birtwhistle, he confirmed that the flowing design language that has dictated the Mazda look in recent years is set to be replaced.

Nagare is done. After the 5, its highly unlikely that there will be another nagare car. Mazda has moved on.

Laurens van den Acker, who has since left the company for Renault, created the look which has only bee applied in full to one production car, the Mazda5 due to go on sale in the UK in November.

But top brass in Japan arent convinced by the flowing look, which Birtwhistle confirms was particularly difficult to apply to a boxy people carrier shape.

As for whats next, thats up to Mazdas new design chief, Ikuo Maeda. Birtwhistle confirmed that Mazda is aiming to become more like a Japanese Alfa Romeo, producing cars which are great to drive, but crucially that also have the right premium feel, particularly inside.

A number of concepts are being designed under the working title of thrusting motion. Maeda will select a winner at an internal Mazda event due to be held in Milan in September. The winning car will debut at the Paris Motor Show, where the name for Mazdas new design philosophy - which Birtwhistle assures us will be much more appropriate for a UK audience will also be announced.

The show is also the venue where former boss van den Acker will show off his vision for new employer Renault.

[autoexpress]

so their dropping the nagare concept for something more fitting for the UK????WTF!

well.......thats just dissapointing.

i really like this design style and was lookin forward to a possible sports coupe in the future based on this style.

oh well. mazda has never been afraid of cutting edge design. apparently the UK is.

They are exactly right about the idea looking good on concepts, but not on real cars. I suppose if they were to develop a Nagare-styled car from a clean sheet and bring it to the street, that might be OK, but grafting the happy-face onto their existing cars has just created a mess, and they haven't added the swoopy lines to the sides of anything except that new 5 we've been seeing pictures of.

I look forward to seeing some new Mazdas I like. Hopefully they won't just get uglier every year like Subaru has been doing for the last 5 years!

well, what they show in they're prototype is an exaggerated form. you could make anything practical with that design. more just integrate the concept into current models. which i feel they did with success.

just take a look at the new mazda 3. you can clearly see the nagare concept influence. i just wanted to see where the design style was gonna go.

like i said. sports coupe in that design. hell yeah.

I'm sure a big part of the design translation into production cars had to do with manufacturing capabilities and cost with all of those sweeps, curves, and lines.

good it was ugly to begin with, and if Laurens van den Acker is the person that caused the happy face on everything...good f'n riddance.

I'm sure a big part of the design translation into production cars had to do with manufacturing capabilities and cost with all of those sweeps, curves, and lines.

And may be that the concept looked good but did not translate into an attractive production car like the 2003 and 2004 Mazda6 and Mazda3 models which I believe made a nice impact...

Add to it that they decided it to apply it to the boxy school-bus Mazda5, not the best choice...

i'm confindent mazda will come up with something good.

JUST BRING BACK THE FD!!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And may be that the concept looked good but did not translate into an attractive production car like the 2003 and 2004 Mazda6 and Mazda3 models which I believe made a nice impact...

Add to it that they decided it to apply it to the boxy school-bus Mazda5, not the best choice...

i agree that nagare-style is hard to apply to series cars, especially the "bread and butter" models.

BTW i have appreciate the work of Maeda (rx-8 and 2) and i think he can do a good job.

Maeda Atsuko? I kid. Ikuo Maeda was head of the team, but not the sole designer of the RX-8. There were hundreds of concepts that led to the final iteration. Much of which was between MNAO and Japan design teams. In any case, we shall see what happens. I always feel that the 8 has some Italian design to it. ;)

Back