MZ3 5DR: I need sub help

B-Mica3

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any cool products or had any ideas of a way to mount a sub in the back of the mz3 5dr but still keeping it all functional. I have been looking at an infinity base linc (sub/amp in one) but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas......?

You can get pretty creative with the spare tire compartment. A single 12" would probably work great back there, with the right engineering. I'm no fiberglass guru, but it would prolly be easy to get something custom done to that spare tire space....

Me, I just picked up a 12" Crossfire sub, and a matching well built pre-fab box with perfect space for the 12 incher. Gonna run it off an old soundstream D200-II in mono. Infinity Reference 6.5" seperates in front, Infinity Reference 6.5" Coaxials in back doors, run all new Fosgate 16 Ga to the doors (left over from my installer days). I also have a big @ss cap for the sub amp :)

is that that lil box that everyone is talking about? heard it was good but ever heard it in person. If you want a trunk thats your best bet unless you get the one that replaces the spare tire at the expence of the spare tire...other option is find someone who is good with cuting and bondo...using the side panels.

Q-Logic QLT-.3508SE will fit 1 8", you can put it on its side up against the right side back of the cargo area on the hatch. It will fit so that the cargo cover still lays flat. The wider "bottom" of the box will be towards the back of the cargo (front of the car) and the slimmer "top" will be closest to you when looking from the back. The sub will face sideways towards the left. This is the best way to go if you want to save as much space as possible, and not have to build a box yourself. $60 at crutchfield, although Im sure you can find it for less elsewhere.

Check it out

Last edited:
3junky said:
Q-Logic QLT-.3508SE will fit 1 8", you can put it on its side up against the right side back of the cargo area on the hatch.
i was actually thinking of getting two of these for the rear and placing on either side of the cargo area. Now I have 1 10" with a huge box. it's about the width of the 60% seat. and leaves about 18 inches betweenthe door and the box.

It was in the back of my civic before so I didn't care so much...

Krs

i'd say go custom, fiberglass one, with a small bit of work u could slide a 10" near where the jack is youd just have to find somewhere to stash the jack.

sndsgood said:
i'd say go custom, fiberglass one, with a small bit of work u could slide a 10" near where the jack is youd just have to find somewhere to stash the jack.

Has anyone here done that? I've never worked with fiberglass. I htink I will check my local shop and find a cost...

Thanks.

Krs

ive built fiberglass enclosures but not for my 3 yet. shouldn't be to hard of a task, just have to finish the wifes care before i can work on mine

Did you know someone who taught you to use fiberglass or figure it out yourself? Are there any walk throughs you can point me to?
Thanks
Krs

Spare tire sub

I made one year ago for a CRX I have and all I used was aprticle board and a RF Pro 10". I just made the box to fit in the spot without really making it molded and it sounded awesome.

I remember Kenwood had a prefab subwoofer that was made for a spare tire well. I think I saw it in crutchfields catalog. I could be wrong about the brand but I know I did see a spare sub box.

Hope this helps.

I'll take a look and see what I find. Not sure if I want to put it in the well or in the side panel. Someone said they have put a sub where the jack is, but I don't know if a 10" would fit there.

email me and i'll send u an article on making fiberglass kickpanels that i wrote up a few years ago. it will give u a good idea of whats involved, only diffrence between kickpods and a sub box, is the sub box will be bigger and youlle use more layers of fiberglass..

As far as the 8" boxes that I made, I am sitll making them but there is a small list and the prduction has been slowed a bit so I can still have somewhat of a life :), the price is $80 shipped within the US and anywhere else I have to check the shipping price on. As far as stuffing hte 10" in the same spot, you could do what the one guy form cardomain did and just redirect the sub towards the front of the car to give more room for the magnet housing but the major problem I see with this setup is the issue of air space, a normal 10" would just not have the correct amoount of room to breathe which could damage the subs and lessen the quality. In the beginning I jsut cut quite alot of my panel to hell and made a much larger box to have enough space for a 10"; now the major problem with that way is having to cut the $150 panel in the back (bird) which works well but I didn't like the look too much , I like to not even be able to tell there is a box at all so what I have been working on(one of my 10 current projects) is to completely refabricate the entire panel with a box built onto the back of it to hold either a 10" with plenty of air space and it would also have an even more clean look with having no seams at all. Now I wont have this done for probably like a month or so, and whether I plan on selling these is yet to be seen since I do all of my glassing by hand(no gun) and these are decent sized pieces(which menas alot of work for each individual piece). I will try to keep everyone updated on this, any questions about anything glassing or carbon related just post 'em or PM them on this forum or axelaowners or e-mail me.

- Phil Rogers

Back