Mystery Steering Noise

Hi everyone,

I seem to be having an issue with my 2021 CX5, if the vehicle sits overnight or has been driven for a while, there is this noise coming from the steering wheel. Has anyone had any luck finding out what it is?

I’ve been to the dealer 2 times with no luck.

Thanks in advanced.

A knock that appears to be something loose and when you turn the wheel it does it.. I would check all joints including the power rack. That is ridicules that a mechanic can't find it in my opinion. Put it on a rack. Have one person in the car and another checking underneath when it makes the noise.

Tie rod? Loose bolts/or nuts in steering/ suspension system? Since they are either incompetent or giving you the run around, just go to a local mechanic and pay him for diagnosis then take it back to the dealer to get fixed under warranty.

If a problem cannot be recreated in all manner of things in this life it will be deemed undiagnosable, not unreasonably so.

Since this is a cold start problem did you leave the vehicle overnight with the dealer? If not I would recommend doing so while also furnishing your video to show how you recreate it. If you've covered these bases already then I would leave the vehicle overnight at the dealer and then have a tech get in the cold vehicle with you while you recreate the problem. That would have been my approach after the first try.

Back