My take on the CX-5 after 20,000 miles

Yep.. got rid of the unneeded ride height and lowered the CG myself.

That's on a straight highway going in a straight line. Ulrich was hit in the rear quarter panel/right tire by a car swerving to avoid another accident. Of course roll-over is a risk during a collision!

The claim was that the CX-5 would roll-over if driven 70 mph on a twisty road in a spirited manner. The truth is the roll-over prevention system and excellent chassis dynamics protects against this. All bets are off in a multiple vehicle accident.

That's on a straight highway going in a straight line. Ulrich was hit in the rear quarter panel/right tire by a car swerving to avoid another accident. Of course roll-over is a risk during a collision!

The claim was that the CX-5 would roll-over if driven 70 mph on a twisty road in a spirited manner. The truth is the roll-over prevention system and excellent chassis dynamics protects against this. All bets are off in a multiple vehicle accident.

I had to make an evasive maneuver at 65mph the other day. I was in the passing lane passing a few cars when some idiot decided to merge into my lane before I had even passed him. I had to swerve rapidly towards the inner median and then rapidly correct to prevent being dragged into said median. Not a bell nor whistle went off. Very impressed and not once did I feel the vehicle was close to flipping, let alone losing control.

Uh, no, he was driving along minding his own business when another vehicle impacted the side of his car. Nothing to do with zoom-zoom.

But it DOES. See, a real race car, like the CX5, has the structural integrity to not collapse, as pictured, on the driver.

I had to make an evasive maneuver at 65mph the other day. I was in the passing lane passing a few cars when some idiot decided to merge into my lane before I had even passed him. I had to swerve rapidly towards the inner median and then rapidly correct to prevent being dragged into said median. Not a bell nor whistle went off. Very impressed and not once did I feel the vehicle was close to flipping, let alone losing control.

I bet a ton of silent things happened, though. It was like that in my 370Z and Corvette. They would both allow you to think that YOU were some sort of track god. Silently, in the background, the ECM was watching your back and adjusting little things constantly...modern cars really are very impressive!

What are you babbling about?

You make a Corvette, you plan it around a 200mph crash. You make a sporty SUV, I would assume you plan it around a more...dynamic...crash than you do a lumbering slug of an SUV. The use of high strength steel, etc. in the CX5 seems to underscore to that concept.

The CX-5 has state of the art roll-over protection built-in to the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). Using gyroscopes that can detect the rate of yaw and roll it constantly compares this data with the wheel speed sensors, steering wheel angle, throttle position, brake, etc. If the DSC calculates there is an impending roll-over it intervenes and takes various actions to avert roll-over (such as applying individual brakes to stabilize chassis motion before roll-over occurs). This all happens in 1/100ths of a second. While it cannot prevent rollovers caused by driving into a ditch at an angle or over an embankment, it can prevent the most common type of SUV roll-over such as that caused by avoidance maneuvers or excessively spirited driving.

I've driven the CX-5 in a spirited manner at 90-100 mph in the mountains pushing corners hard and the DSC system did not intervene and the vehicle did not exhibit a tendency to roll-over. Is it a Mazda Miata? Of course not. But your typical driver would have a very tough time (if not impossible) getting it to roll-over just from pushing it 70 mph on a twisty road. Yes, if you drive it off an embankment or slide it into a curb it can roll-over but not simply from spirited driving on a twisty road. Your claim shows a lack of knowledge of the capabilities built into every CX-5 and makes me question your motives.

As a spirited driver I have pushed our CX5 on the upper PA turnpike where the twist and turns through the mountains are a blast to navigate. Even at 90+ mph the CX5 was very stable and never felt like it was going to tip or spin out of control. If It had the 2.5 turbo motor it would not only have best in class handling, but best in class acceleration in a CUV. There is a market for a "true" CX5 sport model and I can't wait to test drive the new CX9, although much bigger to check out its performance.

I bet a ton of silent things happened, though. It was like that in my 370Z and Corvette. They would both allow you to think that YOU were some sort of track god. Silently, in the background, the ECM was watching your back and adjusting little things constantly...modern cars really are very impressive!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

As a spirited driver I have pushed our CX5 on the upper PA turnpike where the twist and turns through the mountains are a blast to navigate. Even at 90+ mph the CX5 was very stable and never felt like it was going to tip or spin out of control. If It had the 2.5 turbo motor it would not only have best in class handling, but best in class acceleration in a CUV. There is a market for a "true" CX5 sport model and I can't wait to test drive the new CX9, although much bigger to check out its performance.

I've done track laps in my stock cx-5. Going into hairpin turns at 75-85 mph and at no point does it feel ready to let go and turn. The tires may squeal at times but it wont roll.

Nice summary.
i have speed 3, and am adding a cx-5 shortly. mazda is hitting all the right notes right now, style, handling, cost, reliability.... i also like that being a lower volume US presence, there is not a mazda in every other driveway.

Haha, I live in central TX which is a hotspot of Mazdas. We have a CX-5 and a 3 in our drive, my neighbors across and next to me both own 3's. At my SO's office, 5 of her 6 co-workers own a 3 or a CX-5. I actually ran into one of my neighbors at the dealer shopping for a CX-5. Another friend of mine has a Miata and one is shopping for either a 3 or a new 6.

My street looks like a Mazda meetup whenever we have company.

Back