My new hood, grille, UDP and Battery

Mazdacub

I finally got around to installing my new grille and hood.. The grille was a snap to install but it required a piece of foam under it to stop it from being loose and rattling on the bumper. The hood took me only 5 min to install with my wife and was a easy as 1,2,3. The air box is neat and tidy and has no identifiable issues with not fitting properly or rubbing but I came up with a few things I did that others might find handy. When I purchased the used hood setup the AEM filter he gave me was badly covered with bugs and debris that were all stuck in the filter ribs. I got a new cone filter and installed a AIRAID pre filter over the cone filter just to be safe and to make future cleaning much easier but it is not installed yet. See pic #1. The baffle that installs over the filter bounces up and down and keeps hitting the filter so I installed a threaded rod with a length of wiper fluid line on it thru the box. See pic #2. The 90 deg part of the intake pipe the penetrates the air box has about a 1/8 gap all around it so I cut open some more wiper hose and put in around the opening edge. The intake pipe now fits snug and still allows for some movement when the motor moves. See pic #2. Also in pic #2 you can see that I installed a wide piece of 3 dia rubber coupling with a hose clamp on it. This little addition plus the filter being sandwiched on the other side of the box stops the pipe from moving inward and outward.

Pic #3,#4 is the hood and grille all finished less the heat wrap to still be installed to the intake pipe.

<O:p</O:p
The new hood has a weight of 28.6lbs and the stock one will be weighed in the next few days and I will post the information here ________
<O:p</O:p
I still have a 13lbs Odyssey battery and a UDP to install for autox. I will post when they are installed.

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 826
  • Pic2.JPG
    Pic2.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 832
  • Pic3.JPG
    Pic3.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 346
  • Pic4.JPG
    Pic4.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 896
Looks good Scott! Did you still need that bracket like we talked about (and forgot) the other day?

I traded the bracket with someone else. And I forgot to mention that the old loud resonating sound from my old AEM setup is now gone. It is back to being stock sound levels inside the car but outside it sounds loud, mean, and intimidating. It is soooooooo awesome. And new summer rims and rubber have been ordered lol.

That is a great looking and functional setup (impressed look on face).(thumb)

Mazdacub said:
I traded the bracket with someone else. And I forgot to mention that the old loud resonating sound from my old AEM setup is now gone. It is back to being stock sound levels inside the car but outside it sounds loud, mean, and intimidating. It is soooooooo awesome. And new summer rims and rubber have been ordered lol.
hmmmm interesting... wonder if the effect would be the same with a header in the mix? do you attribute it to simply the way the intake is now encased, or what?

I will not edit the second post because some people will miss it and not see that I have edited it.

I got around to installing the UDP. Does it help low end? I dont dont feel any diff, but it does feel to pull faster and stronger when you hit 3600ish. The install took all of 30min and was easy as 1,2,3. Below are pics of the stock and new pulley showing their weights. I have no problem being under powered with my stereo going, lights on and the heater on full with the alternator being under driven with the new UDP. I recommend this mod to anybody still with a N/A application.

Camber bolts and light weight battery to follow soon.

Attachments

• IMGP2416.JPG
    IMGP2416.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 810
  • IMGP2229.JPG
    IMGP2229.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:
Good stuff! The UDP sounds like it will be somewhere in my future mods. Pulling faster and stronger at 3400ish is "lower" end for me it seems, hehe.

Which Odyssey battery did you get (CCA)? And are you going to keep it in during winter? I want to get one but I think I may swap that in and out during seasons...

Wow, nice setup... looks like you put a lot of thought into it!

When I had it, I think of all the n/a mods I did the UDP made the most "real" difference. I would highly recommended one for n/a as well.

Back