My Mazda MP3 sucked...

Karl Marx

Contributor
:
MP3 With Clunk Package
Ok so my car has over 5 years now. I've owned it all its life. I really like it at first and don't consider this post a flame...

Anyhow, i'm pretty tired of it and am considering switching ( Mazda has a great deal on 2007 speed's left over at 0% interest here... ) but i'm REALLY REALLY disapointed with Mazda. At first it was great but then the problems started.

- Both front doors electric motors rusted through and wouldn't even allow to close the door, had to change both completly.
- Clutch Chadder from about 1 month in.
- EGR valve broke twice. ( once under warranty )
- Radio ( ok aftermark but nway ) broke once ( warranty )
- Oxygen sensor.
- Horn broke
- Fan Broke
- Air Condiniting Broke.
- Bushing problems ( fornt and rear clunk ) that lasted forever and was changed 3-4 times under warranty until i finaly used a fix from someone on here a while back.
- Bearings changed twice.
- Windshield cracked 3 times ( only once was there a rock impact, changed under warranty twice )
- Rims paint started pealing off after 2-3 years ( i never used them in winter )
- Door panels (those black things ) started rusting, Mazda repainted them instead of changing them. Rusting even more.
- Windshield pillar is extremely rusted. Probably due to Mazda screwing up when chaging my windshield
- Problem with a valve clunking.
- Can't count how many times a headlight died in the car's lifetime
- Paint of the car is EXTREMELY crap
- Oh yeah and its burning oil like crazy.. and i did change it periodically all the time

So with all this, is me thats only VERY unlucky or should i stay away from mazda altogether? Any of you had this many problems?

Last edited:
i mean half of the problems you listed really didnt have to do with pacifically your car. for example, if your windsheild crack, i do not see how that can be mazdas fault. to me it sounds like you have bad luck.

sounds like your car was not taken care of, the burning oil can mean a multiple of things. get a compression check on the cylinders making sure they are good.

im conclusion, my quote of the day, " If you take care of your Mazda, your Mazda will take care of you." lol

But AC/Fan/Horn are all minor things that shouldn't break.

All the design flaws with the Mp3 as well are car specific. ( Clunk, Clutch Chader 1 month in?? comon )

The Paint, The rust ( I had mazda's retarded rust protection ), the door locks that completly gave out are all due to our winter here, but i've had other cars (older) that resisted winter much longer!

The windshield crack were due to the stiff suspension, another defect on mazda's part and they DID fix it twice under warranty.

The burning oil, yeah i've been a bit rough on my car lately but i did oil changes each 5000 km anyhow in its life. Its only been lately and i don't care anymore since i'll probably trade it in. ( what if its a piston ring? my fault again i guess euh )

You've centered on 2-3 items. But there are ALOT of defects that have nothing to do with not maintaining the car or not being carefull with it.

Don't get me wrong, my previious mazda before the Mp3 was rock solid. So i'm kinda skeptical now tough.

Last edited:
for example, if your windsheild crack, i do not see how that can be mazdas fault.

you kidding me?!?!?!?!
you must have never owned a mazdaspeed protege or mp3............ every single mp3/msp owner i personally know...every single one... every one had their windshield crack.
E-V-E-R-Y
S-I-N-G-L-E
O-N-E

both my mp3 and msp cracked with very small rocks.

and i have known of over 20-30 proteges in the houston area over the last few years.

all of them.

thats mazdas fault.

Mine didnt crack..I had it for three years.
There ya go for one....:p

Second on that. knocking on wood.

The thing you guys dont understand it seems is that if you are going to own a car like the MP3, which is a limited edition car, there are going to be defects, its normal. Do you think all the "classic mucles cars" are problem free!?!??!? No... they are a worst pain in the ass then our car. If you dont think of owning a specialty sports car, and i do mean any one, mazda, BMW, porsche, whatever, be ready for s*** like this. If you dont want any problems then by a carrola.

I'll take ur ecu since u don't care about ur car and probably gonna trade it in :)

but you're isnt a MP3 or speed. a little different.
Um..Yes it was an MSP.
Thanks for asking.
We were talking about MSP and MP3's....why would I post if it wasn't relevant.

I bought a new Spicy speed in '03...sold it in '06.
I just got the P5 as a toy over the summer.

I've had my MP3 for 16 months and i've put almost 32k on her in that time (bought at 92K has 1247XX currently) here's the list of issues i've had:

front lower control arm bushing was replaced
tires
front brakes
currently the pass side window does not roll down, haven't looked into it.

that's it and for the miles that i've driver her, that's not a whole lot of issues, and the tires/brakes are maint items that I don't consider "issues"

sure the rear sway bar clunks, but that's something I can deal with.

I've never driven that much in a year (used to have a 1.6 mile commute and then moved 50 miles away from work until 4 months ago when I switched jobs to a closer one)

Given all that and the fact that this was my first mazda ever, i'm ready to go pick up a Mazdaspeed3 this year sometime.

Maybe you just got a bad car, a monday car. . .LOL

Mine cracked about a month ago.Good thing windshield replacement is free in florida!

worked out pretty good for me because, now my windshield has a glare strip:)

the kenwood radios on the mp3 and msp were infamous for crapping out. they were not then or now a top of the line head unit. clutch chatter was common on alot of non turbo 01 to 03 proteges, mazda paint is pretty thin and is a common complaint, swaybar clunk i think was installed at the factory :), and EGR valves and o2 sensors i've started to see more of going.

windshield cracking, i've heard that from alot of msp owners. the other problems you mentioned, have not heard so much. at least you don't have a paper mache limited slip to deal with ;)

they're not perfect cars, but i've heard alot worse from people who own other $20k bracket vehicles. i'm not saying thats an apology on mazda's behalf by any means.

idk man, those problems to me do seem pretty minor and common. i know a few people with mp3's and the their on their stock clutch with no problems. the clutch thing is the driver (mine started to do the same thing too). o2 sensors go bad. you named things that chip and bushings go bad. if you live in a area where there is alot of salt or drastic weather, things will sqeak and things will chip.

the horn braking or fan snaping i think is bad luck.

the ac in the cars do suck.

this is my opinion, so im not really expecting anyone to agree with me here.

While I don't have an MP3 or MSP, I do have the MSP suspension- struts/springs/rear sway bar. I watched a large rock hit my windshield at interstate speeds and it only chipped the windshield. That chip has been there for almost a year and has not spread. I also live in an area that sands their roads ALOT in the winter so the leading edges of my car get a fairly regular sand blasting.

The paint is pretty thin on Mazdas. I'll give you that. At one point, I was looking at buying a WRX and the first thing people told me about them was that their paint was very thin. So Mazda isn't alone on this one. I just hope my paint on my Protege doesn't do what my 1991 626 did- which was go from red to a very light red (or pink) in some places.

I have a 2001 ES, it looks like an MP3/MSP now, but I have had Zero problems with it.

Now, it is like how long will it go with zero defects.(canada)

My windshelf has a scratch line, it was my fault becuase my wiper is sucked, the metal thing came out from the rubber and scratched the windsheld.....

EGR....just replaced it last Fall

Stock Kenwood, replaced twice...both sucked, get myself a Pioneer...

Rear bushing, replaces almost 4-5 times...and need to re grease it every spring.

O2 sensor.....engine light is on...coz I installed an header and O2 seson screwed.

Some noise at the bottom of the car when I start at 1st and sometimes at 3rd....I hope this is not a tranny problem! Thi is my next fix along with the check engine light on.

Back