My dream CX-5

fredbuteau

:
Mazda3 Sport GS 2010, Black Mica, Corksport SRI
At 30 years old, I've been a Mazda Owner all my life.. Now that the family is growing, I find my 2010 Mazda3 hatchback to be a little on the small side. That's why the CX-5 is my next vehicle.

I'm not really into hard tuning.. I've done a few mods on my car but aside from the SRI I installed, all of them were aesthetic (brake caliper color, decals, interior led kit, etc).

I've been looking at different ideas for the CX-5 and here are my thoughts....

Mechanical

• I would gladly reinstall an SRI, simply for the sound it gives my 3.
  • Maybe a non restrictive exhaust as well, as long as it stays quiet (this is especially good for the weight reduction gained by muffler removal).
  • Since I'd go AWD, I'd consider a lowering springs kit (about 1.5" drop, not more) to give it a more aggressive stance and better handling, while maintaining ride comfort.
Exterior

This is where it gets interesting in my mind... I strongly hesitate between the Zeal Red and Pearl White colors.. Since I'm a big fan of the "panda" look, both colors would look good with a shiny black accents theme.. Here's what I would "blacken" :

• Wheels : Like Enkeis RPF1 or Raijin, black.. Or just powder coated OEMs
  • Exterior plastic trim : This is the tricky part... This trim makes the CX-5 look nice, I admit, but the color and finish of the plastic is just butt ugly. With nice black rims, the trim just ruins the look. Si I would 3m scothwrap all these plastic parts (front and back bumper, side sills, wheel wells and spoiler side sills) in gloss black.. I presume they can be removed!
  • Badging : remove the Skyactiv in the back, keep front and rear Mazda logos and CX-5 AWD but have them gloss black
  • Have the gloss black hood guard
  • Shark fin antenna gloss black
  • Maybe fuel filler door as well in gloss black
  • Tinted windows
  • Tail light tint (not too dark)
I'd paint the brake calipers bright red if I go for the pearl white, or black if I go for the zeal red.

Interior

• For weight considerations I'd remove the spare tire
  • LED interior lighting kit

I really kinda want something like this, but look how the plastic ruins the black of the wheels...

Feel free to comment! T'was nice sharing :)

Wow!! Wow! :) it took me a minute just to imagine all these changes, but I think it would look great!

I agree that exterior plastic parts make are not the best feature of this car.. That's why I wanted a darker color, to make the contrast less noticeable.. Well, when you get the car and make the customizations, make sure to post pictures - would be great to see how it comes out!

Should be a fun CX-5.

IMO, I'd skip the black shark fin antenna (looks downmarket), non-restrictive exhaust (since you want quiet, it already has one that is actually well-engineered), black fuel filler door (looks tacked-on, no need to draw attention to fuel door, door handles, etc.), SRI hot air intake (undesirable noise and compromised filtration with no significant benefit), black hood mustache, spare tire delete (weight difference is not worth the bother).

So when do you plan to get the CX-5?!

Should be a fun CX-5.

IMO, I'd skip the black shark fin antenna (looks downmarket), non-restrictive exhaust (since you want quiet, it already has one that is actually well-engineered), black fuel filler door (looks tacked-on, no need to draw attention to fuel door, door handles, etc.), SRI hot air intake (undesirable noise and compromised filtration with no significant benefit), black hood mustache, spare tire delete (weight difference is not worth the bother).

So when do you plan to get the CX-5?!

A dealer here in Quebec told me that the diesels are coming around early 2013.. So I'll wait and see. There are rumors of a 2.5 as well, I read here as much, but it's too early to tell. I'm truly wishing here, but if they had a GS (middle trim in Canada), AWD, manual and diesel, I wouldn't be typing this right now.. I mean they have the AWD/manual/diesel combination in Europe, so they DO make them... I want one!

So to answer the question, not before the spring...

would look great, if you want to have an idea of gloss black trim just look at the Cx-5 Prototype (minagi) before it was released, that car had piano black trim all around. It gives an idea.

as for the other choices...it is your car and nobody can argue with personal choices. As long as you like it this way, then it is perfect.

I really do not think we will get the 2.5 and the diesel here and certainly not in manual form. You can keep your finger crossed, but you should cross your finger toes as well :lol: ..... maybe 2014, but certainly not 2013. The 2.5 will be exclusive to the 6, I would be highly surprised otherwise.

But hey, you never know! I would be pleased to be proven otherwise.

Last edited:
I really like your plans for the CX-5. Around us we can't get the diesel version, so we would be sticking to the SkyActiv motors. The CS power series intake would help with improved power gains, and fuel economy (test results have shown an up to 10% increase in fuel economy on nearly identical driving circumstances over the stock airbox).

I really like your plans for the CX-5. Around us we can't get the diesel version, so we would be sticking to the SkyActiv motors. The CS power series intake would help with improved power gains, and fuel economy (test results have shown an up to 10% increase in fuel economy on nearly identical driving circumstances over the stock airbox).

I have the diesel version with the 175bhp and the fuel economy is great 45+ most of the time

My dreams are very different....

CX-5 with battery pack and engine from Tesla Model S. No gears to change, just pure bliss and 300 mile range.

You said dream, right?

My dreams are very different....
CX-5 with battery pack and engine from Tesla Model S. No gears to change, just pure bliss and 300 mile range.
You said dream, right?
LOL.. yeah that's a different kind of dream altogether! :)

Back