My CX-9 AWD Tried to Do Me In

Falconswing

:
2008 CX-9 AWD
We bought our 2008 CX-9 AWD so we could drive in the snow. Tonight was its second journey out into the snow. We live on top of a steep mountain road that is about a mile long. I had to pick up a neighbor whose car couldn't make it up the hill.
I grew up driving in the snow in Colorado so I am fairly used to mountain driving in the snow. Keep your speed low to moderate and gently tap the brakes to keep the car in control.Don't oversteer and put it into a slide.

To make a long story short the brakes locked up on me and no amount of tapping lightly or even pushing hard on them would allow them to unlock. I went faster and faster and really had to struggle to keep the car on the road. Which was rather difficult as it is quite curvey at the bottom. I went into deep gutter,bounced up over a driveway culvert. I then cried out ot God to help me as I carreened across the road just straightening out before I hit the curb. Just about then the road levels for a little bit and the brakes started working and I was able to stop the car.

I was really lucky not have gone off of the road into the trees. Damage wise the car sustained only two deep scratches about four inches long on the right fender from hitting the driveway culvert. I haven't yet crawled under the car to check out the front suspension.

We are really disappointed as we bought this car to drive in the snow and this hasn't exactly given us any confidence in the car. Which is sad as we have really grown to like it.

Has anyoe else had an experience like this. Does anyone have any clues as to what may have happened or is going on. At this point I'm now afraid to drive it in the snow.

God's love to all,

Chris

If you read the threads on this forum, you'll find that the Bridgestone Dueler HPs ABSOLUTELY SUCK in the snow by all accounts. I'm sorry you had to learn it the hard way, but it sounds like you came out ok, thank God.

The two main solutions are based on geography:

1 - If you live in a snowy region, get a second set of dedicated snow tires and rims. Check http://www.tirerack.com. Many folks here have had good expierences with them. Otherwise go to your local tire discount center.

2 - If you live in a not-so-snowy-but-still-some-snow&ice region, get a better set of all-season tires like Toyo Proxes S/T II, Yokohama Spec-X or Michelin Latitude (if you don't mind spending a bit more).

Since your car is pretty new and you live on a mountain, it makes most sense for you to get a second set of snow tires.

Good luck & God bless,
- Doug

Yup, the tires on the CX7 and 9 suck ass big time!!!

Don't lose any faith in the vehicle, cause the CX-9 is a beautiful machine. 100% of the blame goes straight to the tires. I had a similar experience coming from an '08 Tribute that had very good all seasons, to the CX-7. First snow fall, and I almost didn't drive the damn thing cause I was sure I was going to get into an accident. I changed the tires a couple of months ago, and now it performs like you'd expect from an AWD CUV. I've intentionally put myself into high snow, and got out with no problems. The DSC and traction control do a great job....

Mazda CX-9 OEM Duellers + Deep Snow = Disaster!!

Amen!

+1 for the Yokohama Spec-X.

Last edited:
If your brakes locked up, that sounds like a malfunction. Not tires. Did you feel the ABS kicking in or no?

CX-9 troubles

I'm pretty sure the ABS was the problem based upon what i have been reading here. The car just kept rolling faster and faster. First i tried pumping the brakes and that didn't work. Next I pushed the brake down hard and held it. The car just kept rolling faster and faster. i really feel blessed by God to have survived without myself or the car being damaged in a major way.

In retrospect I feel that the only thing that might have helped would have been to place it in manual and go to first gear and just go really, really slowly down the hill.

Until I get this all figured out the Mazda is going to stay parked when it snows and I'm going to take my little old trusty Suzuki Sidekick 4WD. What it lacks in comfort it makes up for in getting me there in one piece!

Any more advice and insights are appreciated.

God bless all,

Chris

The 20" OEM Bridgestone tires SUCK in snow. I went skiing 2 weeks ago and ended up rear ending someone. I slid about 25 feet traveling at 15mph when I hit the brakes. The ABS was banging away but I didn't even slow down. DO NOT DRIVE IN SNOW WITH THE BRIDGESTONE DUELER TIRES!!! When I get my CX-9 out of the body shop it will get some new tires. I'm looking at the Pirelli Scorpion STR tires.

Last edited:
The 20" OEM Bridgestone tires SUCK in snow. I went skiing 2 weeks ago and ended up rear ending someone. I slid about 25 feet traveling at 15mph when I hit the brakes. The ABS was banging away but I didn't even slow down. DO NOT DRIVE IN SNOW WITH THE BRIDGESTONE DUELER TIRES!!! When I get my CX-9 out of the body shop it will get some new tires. I'm looking at the Pirelli Scorpion STR tires.

Dont' short change yourself. Look at the Michelin Latitude.
Don't cheep out on saftey.
My .02C

Tom

From my research the Michelin Latitude and the Yokohama Parada Spec-X both perform great, wear well, and do very well in snow.
The Paradas winter ratings are all 'Excellent', and all other category ratings are 'Superior'. They also look great. This is what I will be putting on our CX9.
I already had to rescue my wife once from a slight slope in a parking lot. The Bridgestone junk got NO traction.

Unless they are OE tires, I don't buy Michelin tires.
They are great tires, but too expensive for the price they ask for.

There are many great tires out there to suit your needs.
Do more research on tirerack.com and read the customers' reviews.
Spend your money wisely.
If it makes you feel better, donate the difference to the poor and the needy.
Just my two cents.

I vote for the Yoko Parada Spec-X as well. My next set of tires.

I've managed to survive two winters with the Duelers. Fortunately, the 3 or 4 times the ABS was unable to stop my car with the Dueller "slicks" on it, there wasn't anything I could slide into and I was going very slowly. I'm hoping that we don't get too many more snow or ice storms until Spring. With only 22k on theses tires, I'm still planning to replace them this summer with the Pirelli's or Yokohama's...

Unless they are OE tires, I don't buy Michelin tires.
They are great tires, but too expensive for the price they ask for.

There are many great tires out there to suit your needs.
Do more research on tirerack.com and read the customers' reviews.
Spend your money wisely.
If it makes you feel better, donate the difference to the poor and the needy.
Just my two cents.

I vote for the Yoko Parada Spec-X as well. My next set of tires.

Thanks for the response. Personally, I could give a rats a** what tire you buy as long as you replace the bridgestones.

Yes, I have the money and yes I did and will buy Michelin.
BTW, Michelin are OE on many high end SUV's and BMW's.

As for donating the money to the needy, Obama and the democrats will take care of that along with your tax dollars.

My .02c plus .02c more.

Regards

Definitely not interested in joining some pissing match, but I will say there is nothing about the construction or reviews of the Latitude that justify nearly double the cost, especially for winter driving.

Michelin truck tires are notorious for high synthetic rubber content (poor wet grip) and anemic sidewalls (blowout potential).

I think I paid $780 OTD for my Parada's, and that leaves me with nearly $500 in my wallet as opposed to somebody else's Latitudes and .02 cents.

Not sure either why Michelin would be that much better. I think any tire is an improvement over stock. I bought the Pirelli Snow and Ice and works like a charm. I am sure most of the dedicated snow tires are similar.

The Yokahamas have a better winter rating then the Michelins. Since we live at 5100 feet I will go with the Yoks, since I can't justify buying another set of tires for a month of snow.

From my research the Michelin Latitude and the Yokohama Parada Spec-X both perform great, wear well, and do very well in snow.
The Paradas winter ratings are all 'Excellent', and all other category ratings are 'Superior'. They also look great. This is what I will be putting on our CX9.
I already had to rescue my wife once from a slight slope in a parking lot. The Bridgestone junk got NO traction.

I don't concur on the Paradas in snow. They are fine when rolling, but starting is another manner.

Well, I got my CX-9 out of the body shop after 2 weeks. While in the shop I bought the Pirelli STR Scorpian tires from tire rack and had the body shop put them on. I was inpressed with them right away. Smooth and quiet, felt great in the turns also. Today, we had a huge downpour and the STR felt great on the highway with no hint of hydroplaning. I'm heading up to the mountains tomorrow to go skiing, I'll let you know how they did in the snow.

Latest posts

Back