My CorkSport Spring thread :)

And here's the final drop :)
1012646_10151497120143616_1823065869_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey, I'm looking to pick your brain about going with the stock dampers with the Corksport springs. I might go this route pretty soon. Hows it been riding? Driven over any large road imperfections? Like anything large enough to feel in the cabin? Hows the handling on spirited drives? Thanks for any info.

Hey, I'm looking to pick your brain about going with the stock dampers with the Corksport springs. I might go this route pretty soon. Hows it been riding? Driven over any large road imperfections? Like anything large enough to feel in the cabin? Hows the handling on spirited drives? Thanks for any info.

Well it does bounce a bit sometimes but it's not that bad, even my wife doesn't mind.
The dampers will help a lot, the stock dampers suck balls, with the CS dampers the ride will be perfect. I scraped once so far and it was getting into a parking lot of a business that they were redoing the street and it was way too high for any car.
I got the say the handling is 100% better, it's the Mazda2 but everything better and tighter. I still drive the 2 like I stole it and I work for the Railroad, I have no fear of train crossings ;)

If you do want to buy these springs go for it, save some money for the CS dampers.

Feel free to ask any more questions. I got a new cell with a better camera, I'll take better pictures and post them up

Thanks for the info. My only concern is the back of the car looks like it might be a tad too low for my liking. It could also be the shadows from the sunken in stockies as well. I'm kind of agonizing over this decision. At first I was going to go with the RB springs because I knew I'd be on the stock dampers for at least another year. But the more I looked at them the more I disliked the mildness of the drop. The H&Rs look great and I think the drop is just about perfect but the spring rate is too much for a fatory damper, I believe. In terms of rates, the CS springs seem to be the happy medium between the RB and H&R. Although they do seem lower than the H&Rs. Sigh...

Thanks for the info. My only concern is the back of the car looks like it might be a tad too low for my liking. It could also be the shadows from the sunken in stockies as well. I'm kind of agonizing over this decision. At first I was going to go with the RB springs because I knew I'd be on the stock dampers for at least another year. But the more I looked at them the more I disliked the mildness of the drop. The H&Rs look great and I think the drop is just about perfect but the spring rate is too much for a fatory damper, I believe. In terms of rates, the CS springs seem to be the happy medium between the RB and H&R. Although they do seem lower than the H&Rs. Sigh...

Sounds to me like you might want to consider the eibach pro-kit.

You might be right. Too bad I installed Corksport springs on Thursday. So far the ride is... decent I guess. I'm pretty unhappy with the the way my car handles bumps right now, but I knew that pairing the springs with standard dampers wasn't ideal to begin with.

Install went smooth except for not being able to get a good torque on the top 17mm nut up front. I had my alignment shop handle that for me. I saved the rears for last as a "cool down". I cleaned up and painted my rusty hub centers black while I did the rear springs.

The rear springs rattle a bit over bumps. I'm guessing the coils touch each other? Anyone else have this happen?

Most non-race style springs ("lowering kits") will have some coils touching when weighted. I'm pretty sure this is to make sure the spring doesn't become unseated during full droop.

You might be right. Too bad I installed Corksport springs on Thursday. So far the ride is... decent I guess. I'm pretty unhappy with the the way my car handles bumps right now, but I knew that pairing the springs with standard dampers wasn't ideal to begin with.

Install went smooth except for not being able to get a good torque on the top 17mm nut up front. I had my alignment shop handle that for me. I saved the rears for last as a "cool down". I cleaned up and painted my rusty hub centers black while I did the rear springs.

The rear springs rattle a bit over bumps. I'm guessing the coils touch each other? Anyone else have this happen?

When you get the noise is it when one side unloads, like going in to a driveway with some angle or when you go over a speed bump?

-Derrick

It's most prevalent under braking, which makes sense. I'm assuming there is a slight load change from side to side when I hear it off the brakes.

This.

I am not personally a fan of unmatched spring/damper packages. I've driven a 2 on the H&R lowering spring setup, and while it is better on the track, it does not handle bumps that well and tends to pogo a lot. The stock shocks just can't damp much more spring than stock. So the car ends up using more travel than properly damped, and ends up on the bumpstops a lot (lowered/undamped).

The oem dampers have a hard time with the oem springs as is. Next spring I'm getting CS dampers to fix the bumps, I still love the drop and I haven't rubbed on anything so far.

By the way the drop makes the car even, my floor jack can still fit under the car and it's not a low profile jack. The same jack couldn't fit under my old MS3, and I never had an issue with the speed3 in winter, so I'm not even worried for this winter coming ;)

I'll take more pictures this week-end to show more angles

Last edited:
Back