My car wont start

BlackWagonP5

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
The battery is fine everything works when the car is on. WHen i turn the key to start it theres a click from inside the cabin like when i dont have the clutch down. it wont start and i dont know y.

please help

when my battery started to go my car did the same thing. all this stuff would turn on but the car wouldn't start, and i got the clicking noise. I'd have the battery tested before i did anything else.

i tried starting it with a charger, my friend said to try tapping the solenoid with a hammer to loosen up any seized parts. does anyone know where the solenoid is in the engine bay

my battery is only around a year old im going to get my electrical system tested but i dontthink its the battery

could be the starter i had that same problem with my 240sx. its the easiest but not safest way to do it but take your battery charger connect the negative to the negative batt. terminol and bypass everything and hook the positive stright to the starter. if its easy to get to. youll see the big thick wire running into the starter thats what you need to hook it to make sure its on metal. or push start it and see if it stays running if it doesnt then its your battery

My wife's MP5 automatic is having the same problem.
It doesn't happen every day, just sometimes, and it's never happened to me.
She gets in, turns the key, hears the relay click from the glove box area, and that's it.
Sometimes she will put it into neutral and then it starts, but today, putting it into neutral didn't help.
When it finally does turn, it has plenty of power, so I don't think it is the battery.
I also have a battery load tester and it always passes, so I really doubt it's the battery.
BlackWagon, if you find out what is causing this, please let me know.
I'd really hate for her to get stuck in the winter time.
Thanks

Seriously, sounds like your starters are dying. Might as well go ahead and change it before you get stuck somewhere and need AAA. Or at least call a trusted shop/dealership and inquire if there are any tests to see if it is in good shape or not (I don't know if there is or not)

According to the schematics, there is a "Transaxle Range Switch" that detects if you are in Park or Neutral.
The schematics show power starting at the battery, going through a couple of fuses, through the ignition switch, through the Transaxle Range Switch, then finally to the Starter.
Does anyone know the location of this Range Switch?
I would guess that it would be under the shifter cowl.
That would probably be the easiest thing to test and work on before replacing the starter IMO.

Edit: After a lot of research, I discovered that the TRS is located in the engine bay off the transmission - figures, now I just have to figure out what it looks like and what to do with it when I find it.

Last edited:
there ended up being a problem with my starter, i had it rebuilt at my friends shop and it starts up perfectly every time now.

there ended up being a problem with my starter, i had it rebuilt at my friends shop and it starts up perfectly every time now.

How did you change your starter?
I have the car up on ramps and I can barely get my hands on the starter, let alone get tools in there to undo the mounting bolts (and I can only see one mounting bolt).
Any advise you can give me would be great.
Thanks.

my friend did it at a shop idk how he did it, he just rebuilt it after he pulled it off. as far as getting it off i have no idea.

whats funny is im having the exact same issue except instead of it being the starter the 5+ yr old battery has a crack leading up to the negative terminal all i gota do is pop the hood and itl start right up :)... for now

My Protege 5 won't start now either. It was a every so often problem that would go away after some time and then come back. I have a brand new battery only 2 months old. I have even charged it up all night. It still won't start just clicking. The same clicking from the glovebox that everyone seems to be complaining about. Only problem is not everyone tells the fix. When its not the alternator, the starter, the battery then what is it. Don't mind the crap lighting but here's what I get. The only light in the video is from the reading lights so you could see that they barely dimmed when started.

Help a brother out Please!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Te4jWYeSgs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Changed the starter today. Charged the battery. Power to the starter is 12.4v. Still just a click. Wiring is good, nothings corroded, had someone try and jump me. Still just a click. Anyone have any answers?

Hi, my 03 P5 would drive fine. I would get to my destination, shut it off, come back and it would not turn over. First time this happened, I left the damn thing at my work for a while, went back and jumped it days later with my 2nd car. Then it did it again when I was running errands, friend came, jumped it and it started after it had been sitting for an hour. Changed out battery. The next day, it did it again. Few hours later, went back to where it was and it started. Parked it a week ago at my in laws, and it has not started since. I read online that it may be the ignition switch/ignition coil. Has anyone encountered this fix?

Back