My Battery Died. Had To Replace. Now My Lift-gate Won’t Open (Please Help) 2017 CX-5

Hello all it’s been a while. My battery died had to have it replaced by road side assistance.
Everything else works fine but my lift-gate won’t open.
I stopped by the dealer and explained the situation and they said the lift-gate may need
to be recalibrated the quote 175.00 😳

Any suggestions thanks

What happens when you try to unlock/open the liftgate? Do you get 3 beeps? If so, check the fuse for the power liftgate to make sure is hasn't blown. If the fuse is good, follow the process outlined in the owner's manual to manually open the liftgate. When you have it open, manually close the liftgate, then start the car and see if the liftgate will open.

Personally, when I blew my own liftgate fuse the first time (2018 CX-9), I spoke with a Mazda tech. He advised that on the 2016+ CX-9, if the liftgate won't open and the fuse is still good, we should disconnect the negative battery terminal and depress the brake pedal for 1-2 minutes to ensure that all electricity is discharged, which forces most of the electronic modules to reset. Reconnect the negative terminal, then ensure all doors are unlocked, and attempt to open the liftgate using one of the switches. If it still doesn't work, open the liftgate manually from the inside, then close it, and try again. If that doesn't work either, it should be brought to the dealer. This process should be the same for the CX-5.

If none of the above works, before bringing it to the dealer, you can try having the new battery load tested for free at an auto parts store to make sure it isn't defective. A defective/low voltage battery can cause weird electrical issues.

Fuse location (#16 in passenger compartment, 20A):

"When the Liftgate Cannot be Opened" procedure in Owner's Manual:

Good luck!

To OP,
as sm1ke said, some owners reported success by disconnect-n-reconnect (-) terminal of battery (wait for 30 seconds or more). This basically resets the system.

When replacing batteries, some shop connects a parallel battery first so that they can bypass reset procedure. In this case, it is actually preferred/needed for lift-gate.
Try it, and let us know what happens.

Note, you might need to reset windows (auto up/down), and radio stations, etc. after disconnecting battery. Don't be surprised by that.

Did road service hook up some kind of alternative power while they replaced the battery?
Most places do this so you don't lose any of your presets.
If so then no reset took place.

Easiest thing to do is detach the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes, reattach and check the hatch.

Did road service hook up some kind of alternative power while they replaced the battery?
Most places do this so you don't lose any of your presets.
If so then no reset took place.

Easiest thing to do is detach the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes, reattach and check the hatch.
Thanks

What happens when you try to unlock/open the liftgate? Do you get 3 beeps? If so, check the fuse for the power liftgate to make sure is hasn't blown. If the fuse is good, follow the process outlined in the owner's manual to manually open the liftgate. When you have it open, manually close the liftgate, then start the car and see if the liftgate will open.

Personally, when I blew my own liftgate fuse the first time (2018 CX-9), I spoke with a Mazda tech. He advised that on the 2016+ CX-9, if the liftgate won't open and the fuse is still good, we should disconnect the negative battery terminal and depress the brake pedal for 1-2 minutes to ensure that all electricity is discharged, which forces most of the electronic modules to reset. Reconnect the negative terminal, then ensure all doors are unlocked, and attempt to open the liftgate using one of the switches. If it still doesn't work, open the liftgate manually from the inside, then close it, and try again. If that doesn't work either, it should be brought to the dealer. This process should be the same for the CX-5.

If none of the above works, before bringing it to the dealer, you can try having the new battery load tested for free at an auto parts store to make sure it isn't defective. A defective/low voltage battery can cause weird electrical issues.

Fuse location (#16 in passenger compartment, 20A):

"When the Liftgate Cannot be Opened" procedure in Owner's Manual:

Good luck!
Thanks

He hooked up some kind of hand held computer and programmed it

Hey all thanks again for the input. I tried all suggestions checked the fuse, and took the cable off of the negative post which was half of the solution for me. What worked for me was resetting
The Keep Live Memory.
Detailed in this video and restores things like your average mileage fuel range back to factory settings.
Shoot after my fill up my trip gauge said 465, whoa
Here is the video

In the UK for this one - I filled up with petrol and 2 days later when I went to the car it was dead - the door would open (weirdly) but could not open boot or nothing on dash - I got a jump start and everything OK except radio memories wiped! - drove the car to ensure battery was ok - but the petrol gauge showed minimal in the tank (but I filled it to the brim) - I switched to range (to see if someone had syphoned out the petrol) it weirdly it took over 20 mins for the range gauge to rise from 0 and it went all the way up to 506 miles (!!!!) - never shown anything higher than 435 miles - what could have caused this? - how reliable now?
When I switch engine off and restart the gauge shows a range of 506 miles ....
Car starts OK but I am wary - the key fob working OK - but it wouldn't before the jump start.
Not sure the battery was dead - it appears more that the 'systems' were dead which 'woke up' once the car actually started.
Ideas please

It is a start / stop battery - checked it with a multi meter and it was showing 12.3V it was new in Nov 2021 (when the other battery 'died' on me - which I then charged up for 2 days and it is still working fine on an electric fence to keep animals in !) - just went and started the car now - no problem ....???

Latest posts

Back