My 2023 CX-5 GT has a USB Resume issue

Spike1958

:
2015 CX-5 GS
Just took delivery last week of a 2023 GT model. Really love all the new features that my 2015 did not have(like not downshifting going down a hill with cruise on).

This vehicle has the Type B Mazda Connect system.

When playing the radio, the unit remembers that you were listening to the radio and the channel you were tuned to.
When listening to SiriusXM, it remembers that you were listening to SiriusXM and the channel you were listening to.

If you were using a USB stick to listen to music, it does not auto resume. The entertainment screen comes up and you have to choose what you want to do(FM, AM, Sirius, USB). If you choose USB, it will start right back up with the song that was playing when you shut the car off. The option to choose USB is lit, so it has looked at the USB port and found the stick. Somewhere in the car, there is something keeping track of what you were listening to on USB.

Why can't it remember that I had selected USB prior to turning the car off?

I know there were similar issues with older gen vehicles, but I would have thought this kind of thing would be fixed by now.

thanks

I have a 2022 with the type B and it always resumes from where I left off on the usb stick. Maybe it's because I ripped complete cd's. I haven't made a stick with a mix of individual songs

I have a 2022 with the type B and it always resumes from where I left off on the usb stick. Maybe it's because I ripped complete cd's. I haven't made a stick with a mix of individual songs
I think the Op is saying that it resumes the song from the USB stick that he was listening to prior to turning the car off - but once he starts the car he has to first select USB as the source.

I think the Op is saying that it resumes the song from the USB stick that he was listening to prior to turning the car off - but once he starts the car he has to first select USB as the source.
Exactly. It resumes the previous song on the stick, but I have to select the source first. All the other sources, FM, SiriusXM, automatically start playing, but not the USB.

Exactly. It resumes the previous song on the stick, but I have to select the source first. All the other sources, FM, SiriusXM, automatically start playing, but not the USB.
I think they all do that, I know my 16 & 19 do. I'm just glad it resumes the song. Minor inconvenience that I really never noticed.

My mazda cx9 gt 2022 resumes USB playback without any issue. I don't have to choose again my source upon starting the car. It just starts playing the last source before turning off the engine. It's the same system so either there is a bug in the software or there is something wrong with your USB.

I would try to use a different USB stick first to see if it is going to make any difference. Next is the stop at the dealer.

Mazda connect Type A and B only refers to gauge cluster: smaller digital display on the right side vs bigger in the center. It should not make any difference in terms of music playback.

The old issue in the previous cx5 gen was related to faulty USB module where once power was completely off the memory would be reset and playback would start from the very first track on the USB. Mazda had to hire a new company to come up with a solution and eventually after year or so they started replacing this module. Actually I was positively surprised that they decided to do that.

My mazda cx9 gt 2022 resumes USB playback without any issue. I don't have to choose again my source upon starting the car. It just starts playing the last source before turning off the engine. It's the same system so either there is a bug in the software or there is something wrong with your USB.

I would try to use a different USB stick first to see if it is going to make any difference. Next is the stop at the dealer.

Mazda connect Type A and B only refers to gauge cluster: smaller digital display on the right side vs bigger in the center. It should not make any difference in terms of music playback.

The old issue in the previous cx5 gen was related to faulty USB module where once power was completely off the memory would be reset and playback would start from the very first track on the USB. Mazda had to hire a new company to come up with a solution and eventually after year or so they started replacing this module. Actually I was positively surprised that they decided to do that.

Thank you for that info. I'm pretty sure I had already tried a different stick, but will try again. I do remember that my old GX-5 had to have something changed to enable USB resume, and IIRC, it had the same issue playing MP3 burned CD's as well.

What size USB stick are you using? Also how did you format it?

Last edited:
So, as suggested, I tried one of my older sticks. As soon as I plugged it in, the car started reading it(flashing light) without the car being turned on. Started it up(aux mode only) and selected that USB. It started playing from the last song selected when that USB was plugged in before I bought a bigger one.
Turned car off, waited for the lights to go out, started up again, autoresume worked!
Selected the other USB, it resumed from the last song. Turned car off, waited for lights to go out, started up again, autoresume worked!

So I am guessing there is some sort of maximum time limit that the car keeps everything sort of powered on and connected.
I will wait about an hour and try again.

I think they all do that, I know my 16 & 19 do. I'm just glad it resumes the song. Minor inconvenience that I really never noticed.
I went and checked this to be sure and it does go straight to USB and resume song when you start the car. You do not have to select USB as source.
I thought you had to select source again but I was wrong.

I went and checked this to be sure and it does go straight to USB and resume song when you start the car. You do not have to select USB as source.
I thought you had to select source again but I was wrong.
Thank you for this info. What size USB stick are you using? And how did you format it?

Thank you for that info. I'm pretty sure I had already tried a different stick, but will try again. I do remember that my old GX-5 had to have something changed to enable USB resume, and IIRC, it had the same issue playing MP3 burned CD's as well.

What size USB stick are you using? Also how did you format it?
I've got 2 right now. One is 8Gb and the other one is 64Gb. Both are formatted in FAT32. The bigger one was pain in the neck to make it work because stupid Windows is unable to format USB flash drives bigger than 32Gb in FAT system. I needed to find a software that allows it. They both work fine.

So more info. After waiting more than an hour, when I turned on, my older 8GB stick did autoresume, so I apologize because I guess I did not use that one before I replaced it.

My newer stick is 128GB(that I also had to find a win utility to format to FAT32).

I did notice something. Whichever USB slot the 8gb is plugged into, it comes up as USB1.
The 128gb stick is always USB2, even when it is the only stick plugged in, doesn't matter the slot.

So is it possible that 128GB is too large(I know it takes longer to be recognized, but even plug and unplug multiple times, it still starts playing at the last song when I select it)?

Or because of the size, it will always be USB2, but the system needs a USB1 to autoresume?

I have left both plugged in, playing a song from the 128GB as USB2 and will test it in an hour or so.

So that did not work, it still would not autoresume from the 128gb stick even with the 8gb stick left in.
I think I will reformat it to a smaller size and see if that works.

So I repartitioned my 128GB stick into a 32GB partition only, and formatted with win as FAT32.
It still thought it was USB2 when plugged in. And even though I partitioned, reformatted, and reloaded the songs, it still started up at the last song when I selected it.

Anyway, we went on a trip and stopped. When we started up again, it did autoresume.
Near the end of the trip, had to briefly stop, and it did not autoresume. The song was near the end of a long song(Tubular Bells Part 1), so maybe that had something to do with it. It did pick up at the right spot when manually selected.
Will leave it playing over the next few days and see.

After some use, it appears to mostly work. It did autoresume most times, sometimes not when playing a long song.
Another issue(or non issue) that is constant. When it finishes playing the last song in a folder(album), it just randomly starts playing Track01 in some other folder. It does not start playing the first song in the next folder in the selected sub folder. If it doesn't know what song to play, I would have thought it would just stop.
Is there some option that needs to be set?
thanks

I have 2021 CX-9 GT and they do not support USB 3.0 nor any drive formatted with NTFS or exFAT. It must be USB 2.0, FAT32, and they recommend 16 GB or less. Nothing like living in the dark ages. Also, they cannot read the newer file formats such as FLAC, DSF, and others. That really is bothersome. You have a 12 speaker system and you can only play lossy old MP3 files. They need a firmware update on this.

I have 2021 CX-9 GT and they do not support USB 3.0 nor any drive formatted with NTFS or exFAT. It must be USB 2.0, FAT32, and they recommend 16 GB or less. Nothing like living in the dark ages. Also, they cannot read the newer file formats such as FLAC, DSF, and others. That really is bothersome. You have a 12 speaker system and you can only play lossy old MP3 files. They need a firmware update on this.
You are right about USB 2.0 and FAT32 but I am using 64 GB usb stick and it works just fine. Also my CX9 GT from 2022 can read all lossless audio formats like: FLAC, WAV. It is even listed in the manual for Mazda Connect.

Are you from Canada too? 2021 in Canada still had the older version of the infotainment system - maybe that's the reason. I totally agree with the fact that when they drop CD players the only option was to listen to poor quality mp3 instead but I am not sure when in the end they added all the other audio formats.

Yes, you're right. I was going on what the salesman was telling me about during the test drive. It does handle FLAC, WAV, and I believe even OGG and will also read from a USB 2.0 64GB thumb drive. But no DSF or SACD ripped files. From PA in the states here.

Back