My 1980 Mazda 626 build..

Next step is gonna be motor swap time! Stuck on deciding which on I want to go with.. sooo many options on the table, 13b - BP - Fe3...

Don't know how I missed this! I'm in awe of the condition! My vote is a Mazda FE3, not the kia one.

Be sure to stop on over at mazda626.net! There are a few first gen owners, but I think they're all downunder. They're very knowledgeable guys!

drop makes it. fresh and clean, not like my drawers - would luv to see a coop dunup like this.

sub!
I vote 13B, but Circuits suggestion is a good one...

kind of stuck in a rock and a hard place with the 13b, I want it and can do it with ease...but Im worried it will turn the car to something else i dont want it to be. I may just save the rotary for the next classic mazda. My head was set on turbo 1.8 Bp swap, very simple and easy swap. And i want to be able to drive the car allover out of town, and get good gas mileage and keep A/C. Not to say I cant get reliability and A/c out of a rotary, but soo many 626s are rotary powered already , so im looking at some mazda piston engine choices first.

- 1.8 bp +turbo - no real swap issues less headaches out of all choices.
- 3.0 v6 (from 929) - just need to source a HC 929 5speed trans, which can be found, and engine bay space is a issue with this motor.
- 2.2 F2t Turbo from probe/mx6 gt 1st gen - b2200 bellhousing, and intake manifold will need to modified.
- FE3 2.0 dohc - B2200 bellhousing, same intake manifold issues..

I would do a KL a thousand times over before using the 3.0 from the 929.

Kl was first choice, but its gonna take way more than I can afford for that custom manifold and adapter plates are expensive. I had a kl powered 93 protege a few years back, and I miss that kl sound.

The 9 3.0 has its potential, very large valves. And its already ready to go for rwd applications it also seems a bit more interesting because noone has attempted anything performance with that motor, except a handful of aussies.

Back