msp radiator vs regular protege radiator?

msp03rbuld

:
mazda, mazdaspeed protege
hey i was just browsing online and saw a radiator that is for my msp and was like 90 dollars then i went on mazmart.com and saw the (mazdaspeed model) radiator and it was close to 300.00+ dollars , whats the big difference if theres even one ..IM SO CONFUSED!!!

One is designed for the mounting of the stock smic, the other is not and is longer in width. Its the same radiator used on euro spec diesel trucks. There is nothing online that you will find that will actually bolt right in to your MSP outside of buying a genuine Mazda radiator online for it. I just paid $314.77 for mine.

well i don't have the stock smic anymore , i went to the front mount, so purchasing a normal one would work i assume?

well i don't have the stock smic anymore , i went to the front mount, so purchasing a normal one would work i assume?
Only if your front mount does not route piping through the side mount location. If you have a setup like the Hiboost FMIC (which doesn't require cutting cause it routes the pipes through the former location of the SMIC) you will still need an MSP specific radiator.

I just installed a full size aluminum Mishimoto radiator in my MSP because I have a FMIC that doesn't route where the stock SMIC went. The stock MSP radiator is shorter but thicker and has more coolant capacity than the regular protege radiator however the Mishimoto trumps them both by a long shot.
Also the Mishimoto is $250 vs $350 for the OEM MSP version.
As a side note, the MSP fans flow more CFM as well.

$314.77 not $350. What did you pay for everything else that you needed to make that radiator work(fans,mounting brackets,wiring, radiator brackets, upper hose) in your MSP? And as far as trumping them both, that seems like a bit of internet puffery.

The stock regular protege fans, hoses, and radiator brackets fit right to the Mishimoto. I already had slim fans from my FMIC install (wiring is simple just connected the 2 wires to the stock wiring), used regular protege radiator brackets ($5 from JY) and used the stock hoses (until they leaked and I got Samco). It includes a 19lb. cap and free shipping so $255 total. If you order from JMBaggie (I frequently do for various parts) it would be $317 (plus shipping?) but at the parts counter at the local dealer it is not going to be that cheap. Obviously the Mishimoto was the best choice for me since I wanted a full size radiator anyway and the stock plastic one cracked last time I was at the track in February (another reason not to get a stock plastic rad). And my cooling system is more efficient because the radiator holds more coolant, has more surface area, better heat transfer with aluminum vs plastic, higher pressure 19lb cap means it will handle more heat before boiling over and be more efficient.

Last edited:
No doubt dealer walk in price is ridiculous. But yes that is $314.77 shipped. Got it in 2 days. You were not around when Brian aka BlackZoomZoom was but no one went to the track more than he did in an MSP. 300+ passes per season. Mostly on stock parts, including the radiator. The stock system is more than efficient. Cooling is not a problem on my MSP and never has been. Even in the hot and humid atmosphere of Florida on its sun baked black top. My needle goes to the exact same spot everytime. I got almost 10 years out of my stock core. So if the new one last as long, then great. Whoever buys my car will be happy. I didn't realize that some of the stock radiator parts would work. That is a plus when using a inter cooler that requires a different radiator.

The stock one is good until the plastic ages, come July I will be happy to have this mishimoto. Less heat is less stress on everything else. If I didn't track the car I probably would have gotten a stock rad but I take this thing to the road course 2-3 times a year.

I joined right as BlkZoomZoom was getting out of the game, I have read all about his car and times.

As a side note, the MSP fans flow more CFM as well.
It seems like you have experience with upgraded fans.
It's getting summertime and my A/C is almost useless when I'm sitting still in traffic and I was wondering if upgrading the fans would help keep the bay cooler in turn a bit cooler A/C when idling.

I don't know a lot but I had a single 10" slim fan on the stock short rad and it wouldn't keep the AC cold unless I was moving. It isn't summer yet but it's starting to heat up and I have used my AC a couple times now with the new radiator and 2 cheap 12" slim fans and it hasn't gotten even warm once, the AC stays cold as it can get. If you have the stock fans they work well and I would keep them, if you upgrade the radiator upgrading the fans wouldn't hurt either. With the Mishimoto though the fans hardly ever kick on when driving normally, only when you sit still for a long time.

Alright. I appreciate the help. I do have the stock fans so I'll keep them. I did notice they move a lot of air when both are running and the hood is open...the heat blowing out is almost unbearable.

Back