MSP OEM shocks

there's no internal difference. They're tokico HPs that just don't have the outside branding the ones you buy seperatly since they were purchased for use in a stock car. Be carefull about replacing just a single strut, if your car has low mileage you'll be okay, but anything past 50-60K and I'd just purchase a whole new set, by that time there's going to be enough wear in the other 3 struts that you'll feel a difference with a new one, the difference being bad since you'll have 3 soft points and 1 firmer point in the car.

there's no internal difference. They're tokico HPs that just don't have the outside branding the ones you buy seperatly since they were purchased for use in a stock car. Be carefull about replacing just a single strut, if your car has low mileage you'll be okay, but anything past 50-60K and I'd just purchase a whole new set, by that time there's going to be enough wear in the other 3 struts that you'll feel a difference with a new one, the difference being bad since you'll have 3 soft points and 1 firmer point in the car.
I was thinking of changing both rears anyways (driver rear is trashed)

I think the spring perches on the rear MSP blues are different from regular HP's.
What do you mean different? Anything that could make the installation difficult or the part incompatible?

I just don't see the point of paying $350 a piece at the dealer when you can get them from a web store for $85 a piece!

the mazdaspeed protege stock struts are visually identical to the tokico hp's, unless you have them next to each other. the rears have a different spring perch location, which makes them only work correctly with the stock springs. (kinda ghey, i know, but what are you going to do) the fronts have the same dimensions between the stock and the hp's. as for actual spec's, the mazdaspeed stock struts were specially valved to mazda's requirements, and work best with the stock springs.

if you have to replace your struts, best to do all four. and, you might consider getting new springs too, since with different struts, the rear will sit too low on the stock springs.

So.... what would be your recommendations?
What's a cheap but good struts + springs combo.
I'm not sure if I'll keep the MSP for another 2 years so I don't want to invest much in it as of now.

look for used msp struts? or, get the tokico hp handling kit. (includes struts and springs)

Ok, last questions:
Will height of the car remain the same?
Will it still handle the same (or better)?

i think with the hp kit, the car will be slightly lower in the front, and close in the rear. my car has the hp kit, with mazdaspeed rear sway bar, and stock front es bar. i think it handles great, well, compared to stock es. i have never driven a mazdaspeed, so i can't directly compare the two. the hp kit springs are slightly stiffer than the stock mazdaspeed springs, so...

njaremka is right about the suspension. You have two options if you want Tokico struts. You either buy OEM replacements from the dealership or onlinemazdaparts.com or you buy Tokico struts and springs for a regular Protege. With the latter, your ride height might be slightly lower, and handling should not be worse, if not better. If you auto-x, you can not do the latter and stay in a stock class.

I just checked onlinemazdaparts.com and MSP suspension components are nowhere to be found.
I guess I'll have to order the Tokico struts and springs kit.

If anybody know webstores with good deals, please chime in.
Best price I found so far was about $508 shipping not included.

I just checked onlinemazdaparts.com and MSP suspension components are nowhere to be found.

go onto www.toprotege.com and PM "The Kid". He runs MOSI racing and usually has parts for sale. he might be able to hook you up.

I have the part numbers for the OEM struts, but they are pretty hefty price wise because they are a specialty part ($700+ for the struts alone). If you still want OEM let me know and I'll get you the part numbers.

Back