MS3 Problems: Ball joints for Lower front left Failure

LReyes66

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 MGM
My ms3 has been giving me alot of problems lately.

Had to replace the brake pads earlier this month and replaced a dying/dead battery yesterday.

Same day i replaced my battery, i hit somewhat of a pothole at speed limit and it messed up what i thought was the alignment but was thinking it was something worse since i didnt even hit the hole that fast, and the wheel pretty much made a 90 degree angle to the right.

Dropped it off at the shop today and they told me that the ball joint the on lower front left side had fallen off or broke and that i needed to replace them as well as get an alignment.

IMG096.jpg

According to the estimate sheet above, the balljoints for the lower-front left side will cost $385.99 with a labor charge of $128.70. On top of that the $59.99 for alignment with a total of $589.55!

Im not financially stable as that im only a college student w/ a part-time job with credit not good enough to even think about applying for a creditcard to pay for this so i need to find the most cheapest/cost-efficient way on solving this. I dont wanna involve my mother into this because w/ the divorce of my parents, it would just burden her even more in debt. I do have a firestone credit account open with them that gives me flexabiltiy to pay it off w/o interest in 6 months but id only like to charge the labor and alignment under the card and purchase the balljoint part from an external source.

What, where, and how can i go about getting a replacement for my 2008 mazdaspeed 3 w/ 49k miles on it?

I see under the sheet the shop printed out under the ball joint description, it says "K620040 CONTRL ARM W/BALL JT" - Is that the part number and if i search this up, I can just find a replacement with he same model number? Is there anything else i need to get for this fix? Where should i go to get it?

Anyways, any help would really mean alot too me as i am stressing about this.

you can get control arms from AutoZone for ~$220 each. that should save you a little bit. can pay with cash, too. shouldn't be too hard to replace your self. then all you need to pay for is an alignment.

Just called the shop, bastards dont take outside parts and werent any help at all saying its just "1 piece'. So i may just do this myself.

are there any guides or walkthroughs i can follow to do this?

I was going to get cobb/h&r springs a couples of years ago but thought the procedure was too complex

the control arms are sided left and right.control arm replacement shouldn't be too hard, if you are at least a little mechanically inclined. if you have no mechanical ability, buy a case of beer and find some friends who are.

oh sweeet. Thanks!

I remember hitting the pothole with my driver side, sooo in order to not get confused im just gonna trust that they gave me the wrong part and ur showing me the correct part.

im somewhat inclined if its a straight-forward process. I have installed the downpipe....with a friend lol.

Last edited:
it looked like the ball closer to the wheel was coming off as i compared to the passenger side

Ok so it sounds like you do need the left side which is the K600241 part number, and they put the wrong part # on the repair estimate.

I still can't get over they were going to charge you almost $400 for that part. I would never go back to that place again if I were you. They actually make the
"stealerships" look good.

Last edited:
Hit up SSP in Houston. Ask for David Geiger, he can hook you up with some work on your car.

thanks, but im probably gonna try this myself. If ill run into trouble ill look into him.

Has anyone here replaced the lower control arm before? What tools are going to be needed? Dont have alot of tools at my apartment just the basic ones, what kind of wrenches will i need and what size? Also am i gonna have a hard time prying the old arm off?

from your pictures, it almost looks to me like both sides are shot? drivers side looks like the ball joint has slipped from the control arm, and passenger side looks like the control arm is bent?

Back