MS3 + All Season Floor Mats = Potential problem

Rainman

:
2006 Black Mica MS6 GT + 2007 MS3 (2003.5 Yellow MSP = retired)
Did a search for this and didn't find anything so I'll post this in the general forum.

I have a MS3 for which I purchased all-season floor mats. I have had the mats in the car for 2 weeks now. The mats are installed in the correct position and do not have the regular floor mats in place above or beneath them. On two occasions since they have been installed, the accelerator has become stuck under the top right-hand corner of the mat causing the car to surge forward (the first time before I figured out what was the cause) or for the engine to rev uncontrolled against the rev limiter (the second time when I hit the clutch to allow me to control the car). The first time, the pedal popped out from underneath the edge of the mat by itself, so I didn't realize what was happening. The second time the pedal did not pop out as it was stuck. I immediately hit the clutch to control the car while I tried to free the pedal with the engine hitting the rev limiter.

I tried shifting the mat, but with the mat installed using the anchor it will not move or rotate enough to avoid this little problem. I will probably just cut a portion of the mat at the top but I wanted to post this problem before someone found themselves in a dicey situation because of it.

I will try to post pics of the issue sometime soon. I am considering contacting Mazda about this potential problem.

R

Last edited:
is it because the allweather mats were designed for regular Mazda3's with (i assume) small rubber pedals, and the MS3's bigger aluminum pedals get caught in it?

I had the same problem with correctly installed all-weather mats without the normal mat underneath. I looked at the mat and pedal afterward and it definitely isn't cut right. Or wasn't, cause it is now. I trimmed it and the clutch area as well. The parts cut off won't see much salt and water from my shoes.

Ooooo wow....good to know!!! I bought these off ebay alittle bit ago and havent put them in. I was about to this weekend prolly.

Jacen - you cut yours alittle bit? Is there anyway to post pics?

Thanks guys for this potential hazzard!!

oh dear! yikes!

absolutely contact mazda about it, consider it your civic duty to the community at large! 260+ HP of rocketing mazda would surely ruin a pedestrians day :)

Funkycoldg said:
Jacen - you cut yours alittle bit? Is there anyway to post pics?

I don't have a digital camera. With the engine off, stick your head down there and push the pedal with your hand. You'll see the areas to cut away based on where the pedal hits. Make sure you cut a little extra because the mat can pivot a little around the holding tab in the floor. Test fit and push the pedal again to make sure you have enough room.

If you aren't comfortable doing this without pics, REMOVE THE MAT NOW! Mine got stuck and I wasn't even flooring it, so I drove home without using much throttle and fixed it the next morning. Luckily I was on the highway in 6th gear when it happened, so the acceleration wasn't very crazy and I could easily reach down with my hand to free it without running into anything or anybody. I hate to think what could have happened had I been in second or third gear in the city.(shocked)

<this next part may be optional>
The clutch pedal hits the surface of the mat and so it didn't seem at risk for getting stuck (at least on my car), but I chose to do this for the clutch pedal as well. I think it makes the clutch travel feel more consistent and and like it better now that this part is trimmed, instead of hitting and compressing the mat a little.

The part behind the brake pedal was pretty much left alone.

yes, definitely one of you Mazdaspeed3 owners should call MNAO and let them KNOW that their all weater mats for regular Mazda3's DO NOT fit MS3's well, or it will cause a hazard!

ottawaP5 said:
I believe the MS6 has the same problem with the all-weather mats as well.

I have the all-weather mats in the MS6 as well, but I haven't noticed any problems yet. I'll play around with pedal position this week to see if I can reproduce the problem in the MS6 as well.

R

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Scared the s*** out of me. 2 times and i took a knife to the mat. Fine now.

Attachments

• MS3.jpg
    MS3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 197
SP33D3 said:
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Scared the s*** out of me. 2 times and i took a knife to the mat. Fine now.

same exact with me...happened to me 3-4 times. had to cut a portion out. custom fab for the win (jerkit)

jacen said:
Mine got stuck and I wasn't even flooring it, so I drove home without using much throttle and fixed it the next morning. Luckily I was on the highway in 6th gear when it happened, so the acceleration wasn't very crazy and I could easily reach down with my hand to free it without running into anything or anybody. I hate to think what could have happened had I been in second or third gear in the city.(shocked)

Wow, good thing you had the time to reach down with your hand... If you had to reach all the way under the pedal, that could be really tough.

I've had the same thing happen to my mom's Integra although the situation was a bit different with her mats. She was too lazy to put the mat back into the floor link after cleaning it and so it wasn't in the correct position. Pedal got stuck and it's auto so there is no clutch to push in. Kinda scary... Luckily I remained calm and just punched the pedal with my foot after it got stuck and it popped loose. It happened to her too as I did not realize when it happened to me that it was the mats. She panicked and threw the car into Neutral. My little bro had to go down in the well and pull the pedal out by hand as the engine was over revving (no rev limiter as it is an older car). The engine redlined and luckily she didn't damage anything. Her repair shop checked the car over and found no dmg, just found the mats were the culprit.

My mats on my Mz3 are those chunky Michelin winter mats from Cdn Tire. The clutch occasionally getes stuck on them but I had readjusted them several times with my hand when I first put them in. I should cut them to reduce the risk of my gas getting stuck...

So if it happens to anyone, remember above all, stay calm and just work on getting that pedal out.

i love my mats, and havent had a problem but i just have a regular 07 3s

just thought Id update.

MNAO has sent out a mass email to all dealers notifying them of the issue.

Attention Mazda Dealers:

This message is to advise your Sales, Service and Parts Personnel:

DO NOT INSTALL Mazda3 All Weather Floor Mats, P/N 0000-8B-L02 in MAZDASPEED3s. A condition exists where the floor mat may interfere with vehicle operation.

This is part of the email that was sent. Thought I would let you guys know. We also have a stop-sell inplace for mazdaspeed 3 owners... so hopefully this wont happen to anyone else.

B1GHAM said:
just thought Id update.

MNAO has sent out a mass email to all dealers notifying them of the issue.

This is part of the email that was sent. Thought I would let you guys know. We also have a stop-sell inplace for mazdaspeed 3 owners... so hopefully this wont happen to anyone else.

This is good. I was in the process of drafting a letter to them about this issue.

What do they plan to do for people who have already purchased these mats. Cutting them is not a big deal, but it would be nice to have a mat that was fitted to the car and NOT hacked up considering that we all paid for them.

R

Rainman said:
This is good. I was in the process of drafting a letter to them about this issue.

What do they plan to do for people who have already purchased these mats. Cutting them is not a big deal, but it would be nice to have a mat that was fitted to the car and NOT hacked up considering that we all paid for them.

R

I am honestly not sure what their plans are for people who have already purchased them. We have only delivered 3 MS3s and none of them had all-weather floor mats (As far as I know). The letter also did not go into that scenario. Just gave us the hows and whys to not sell mat.

Sean

Back