MP3 non-existant Rear door speakers

I dont know if anyone has noticed this but the rear doors in the MP3 have cut outs & screens covering them but no speakers in them.... Also I was thinking about putting the existing front door speakers in the back doors and upgrading the front speakers to some higher quality ones. Well thats it...

~BEN~

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the front door speakers won't fit without some work . The reason is the rear doors are for a round speaker not a 5X7 . I found this out when i had my windows tinted .
This is because the MP3 and P5 and the sedan all share the same doors and basicly the same interior panels (mold.different finishes )
Personally ,I wouldn't put any speakers in the rear doors unless you take out the 6X9"s in the rear deck . I really don't know why manufacturers insist on putting such a larger speaker in the rear when it is better to have as much sound up front as possible in order to create a better sound stage.At least Mazda has the right idea in the sedan as the doors of my 2001 have 6X8's .They tried to even things up using these speakers . I will say that the factory door speakers with more power and passive crossovers on them sound rather good .

WhiteZoomZoom said:
I am confused....no speakers in the back door ???
Protege sedans have rear 6x9 in the read deck and no speakers in the rear doors just a cut out. P5s have 6 1/2s in the rear door since they don't have a rear deck.

btw, if anybody does plan on putting speakers in the rear you had better get a new deck as ours wouldnt sound as well w/ six. sumpin bout the way the internal crossovers and equalizers work. the head unit just wasnt made for it.

really?

so your saying that if we added speakers in the rear doors that it would not sound good or it just is not possible and witch car are you talking about? MP3 ot MP5?

I was thinking of puting 6" speakers in the rear door, connected to the head unit and driving the rear 6x9" with a small amp... what do you guys think?

bad idea, its tom much sound behind you. Stick with one rear location not 2. You should be amping you fronts not rears!

heres my setup..mabey it will help

ok here is what i did... First of all i replaced my stock head unit with a kdc-mp-919. It has better equalization and cross-over options. I replaced all speakers in the car with 2002 kenwood excelon dual mag speakers. These speakers.......7 2ways in the front and the 6x9 3 ways in the rear trunk are powered off a 500 watt kenwood 4x amp. These 2 sets are connected via front and rear output rcas. The amp is slightly turned down in both the front and rear to match the other components and a lil extra in the rear to compensate for the dominace of the 6x9s. Aproxx wattage 30 front door panel, 20-22 watts trunk mounted 6x9s.

Then I added 2 more sets of dual mags, 2- 1 inch tweets flushmounted to my side paneling running with my windshield, and also 2- 6 1/2 mid range cones. These 2 sets are hard wired directly into the deck running at approx 22 watts rms each.

The crossover settings for the mp919 (head unit) are set so that the cross over channels are reverted into the rca outputs if there is a complete circuit on them. Therefore you control the 5x7s and the 6x9s via the head unit. But the 1 in tweets and the 6 1/2s are controlled via independant crossover networks.

This can posses a slight problem with equalization because of the dominant channels running out of the rca outputs, but remember the added speakers were only for soudn balancing issues rather that main music drivers. So i basically run my system using keenwoods custom eq manager integrated with the mp919 head unit.

As for the bass freqs...i have 1 kicker s12l7 in a large vented box powered byt a kicker 800 watt amp. this is connected to the headunit via rca non fading output..so it can be controlled by the head unit and be integrated with the internal equalization process.

Hope this helps with any problems you were having.

Back