MP3 Autocross Victory

Coolhand

:
2001 Mazda MP3 #140
Well all, I don't know how many of you autocross you MP3's, but I just placed 5th in a field of 13. Since our cars are tuned have tuned suspensions, I run in the STS class which includes cars "with a maximum displacement of 3.1L, and normally aspirated. This category is for the popular street cruisers with lowered suspension, air filter systems, and wider wheels."
Who was the competition?
1st- Nissan Sentra SE-R
2nd- Integra GS-R
3rd- RSX
4th- Civic Si
5th- MP3 (me)
6th- who cares, I beat them!

I must add that I consistently ran 60 sec runs, and I was only .5 sec behind the Si and 2 secs. behind the Sentra. I am running the entire season next year and plan on giving these guys some serious competion.

By the way... MP3's just beg to be thrown into competions like these. IMO

i'd like to just do one autocross race...but don't know how to get into it, and can't really AFFORD to **** my car up. it'd be awesome!
good job by the way!

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: derrick1623 ]

Congrats on placingj 5th. Maybe next year you will improve with more races under your belt and start kicking some civic and integra ass! I'm looking forward to doing some autocross next year in Dallas. I'm excited. I have a question though. If you have a CAI do you have to go up to the next class? What about the intake and exhaust cam gears. They cant see the cam gears, so what they don't know wont hurt them. Anyhow, the cam gears wont make much of a difference, b/c in autocross it's not the car, it's the driver.

I was out autocrossing today! It was cold, but sooooooo fun! And I saw Jayrcr there! ^_^

Nobody really knew what class to put the MP3 in (Jay and I were in different classes.. just goes to show ya)

And it rained on my last run and I mowed down all these cones! And Jay spun out a bunch, hehe

But now my head hurts and I want to sleep.. yep..

And oh yeah.. Ben..

I had to go into a Street Touring class because of my CAI, which is the only mod I've made.. Jay was in Street Touring, too, but I think he had suspension mods.

hey coolhand....let me know ahead of time when the next one is and I think I might go out there and try it with you. :D

Here's a listing of all the classes... SCCA ClassificationsStreet Touring is not a stock class. The stock class is called Stock and then divided into sub classes A-H depending on the car.
@Ben: I have a CAI and an exhaust and I still remain in the same class because they are considered minor mods. Cams on the other will bump you into the Street Prepared class. But like you say, it's really on a honor system... they will never know. Also, if you are putting in Mazda Cams, they aren't aftermarket parts, just OEM replacements (he-he-he).
Hey given my "hmm-hmm" victory, could someone please rate me.... I do hate to beg, but what the hell?!

Oh... @MP3Girly, The MP3 is placed in the Street Touring class because it already has modifications to the suspension, even if they come stock on the car, they aren't stock on all Protege's.

Autocrossing is the funnest time ive ever had my first to runs i spun out once each run I ran a 64.55 2nd run was 60.45 3rd run was a 50.32 4th one it was raining ran a 55.00.The subaru's in my class only averaged 49.50's not bad i think for my first time cant wait for the next one.MP3girly was a really good driver she didnt plow through or drag a zillion cones like most other car's like the 2 gray car's left to be namles hehe.Hope to see more mp3's out there or p5's too. oh ya i forgot i placed 9th out of 21 cars in my class.

Yesterday I ran in ES class with my MP3, I haven't made any mods yet. I had never driven my car hard before, so I came in last in class. I managed to knock over 4 seconds off my overall time over my five runs. Most cars were 1-2 seconds better than me. The MP3 loved the slalom and turns, I could tell a lack of horsepower on the straight aways and at the start. Who cares though I had fun.

I just went to an autox yesterday. Me and another mp3 did EXCELLENT. Since neither of us had run the cars before we both did the novice version of E stock, after comparing the numbers though we should have run for real, we were faster than a good majority of the wrx's in attendance. The course was really set up good for our cars though, after the first turn I accelerated up threw it in 2nd and just kept it there the entire time. I had 4 runs and cut 10 seconds off from my first run to my last. When we were done our runs our times were up toward the top of the ESP class times. My best time was a low 50 the other mp3's best time was a mid 49 and the esp class cars were running 48's give me a couple more autox's and I'll definately be running up there.

Cool, it's great to see so many MP3's doing the autoX thing. I'm telling you that our cars just beg for challenges like these. Forget the straight line green liight to red light crap... AutoX is the way to go. :D

HELL YA! its the best time ive had in a long time.where else can you drive like a maniac and not get a ticket.

Here a link to the results just in case anyone wants to see them: AutoX Results ;) I figured out that I placed 46 out of 109 cars running. Not bad to be ion the top %50 on only my 2nd go. :D

Autocross is killer, especially in the MP3.
BUT, check out what I'm doing this Sunday! Solo run on a 3 mile Road course! This isn't cones, it's a full on raod course. I can't wait the MP3 should kick some booty, except on the straights...

Back