Motorcraft Yellow coolant in Mazdas?

I will soon be doing a coolant change on a 2016 CX-5. I have no problem using FL-22 - which is what it currently has - but am wondering if there is a better solution. Ford says that Motorcraft Yellow is the upgrade from both Motorcraft Specialty Green (which is FL-22) and Motorcraft Orange. If Yellow is fine to use in Ford cars that previously used Specialty Green, can it also be used Mazdas that use FL-22? I will be doing a complete change (drain, fill with distilled water, repeat until clear).

Last edited:
If you don't have any issues with using Mazda's FL-22 then why not use what they're recommending? How much 'better' would the yellow stuff be and in what way is it better?

Upvote 0
I will soon be doing a coolant change on a 2016 CX-5. I have no problem using FL-22 - which is what it currently has - but am wondering if there is a better solution. Ford says that Motorcraft Yellow is the upgrade from both Motorcraft Specialty Green (which is FL-22) and Motorcraft Orange. If Yellow is fine to use in Ford cars that previously used Specialty Green, can it also be used Mazdas that use FL-22? I will be doing a complete change (drain, fill with distilled water, repeat until clear).

I would not risk it. Just use FL-22.

Additionally, the Skyactiv 2.5L is not a Ford engine, so while Ford says Motorcraft Yellow is safe for their engines, it may not be for Mazdas. Best to stick with what is known to work, which is FL-22.

Upvote 0
I just did my MZ5 (had to replace the thermostat housing due to a failed o-ring), and I'm about to do my CX-5. I used Peak OET Asian Green which is 100% an FL-22 equivalent, and it's only $25/gallon for the concentrate. Add an extra $1 for a gallon of distilled water (not spring!) from your local grocery store, and you're in business.

At that price, why use anything else?

Upvote 0
If you don't have any issues with using Mazda's FL-22 then why not use what they're recommending? How much 'better' would the yellow stuff be and in what way is it better?
That's what I was wondering. Will it somehow add an extra 5 horsepower or something if you use the yellow stuff?
Seriously, you only replace the coolant every five (or more years) or so, right? So whatever you put in there today, will be there for years. So why mess around just to save a few bucks in the short term? Is it worth the risk?

Upvote 0
I would not risk it. Just use FL-22.

Additionally, the Skyactiv 2.5L is not a Ford engine, so while Ford says Motorcraft Yellow is safe for their engines, it may not be for Mazdas. Best to stick with what is known to work, which is FL-22.
You've convinced me to use FL-22. I thought Yellow may be a better product, but when you said 'Skyactiv 2.5L is not Ford", you made me realize that what works for Ford won't necessarily work with Mazda. Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
That's what I was wondering. Will it somehow add an extra 5 horsepower or something if you use the yellow stuff?
Seriously, you only replace the coolant every five (or more years) or so, right? So whatever you put in there today, will be there for years. So why mess around just to save a few bucks in the short term? Is it worth the risk?
It wasn't to save money - it was to use the best product available. I've decided to use FL-22 and not take a chance with Yellow in a Mazda engine when (as far as I can tell) Mazda hasn't endorsed it.

Upvote 0
Not that this is relevant- or maybe it is. Unfortunately, I have a GM product in the stable. I had my independant mechanic remove the "DeathCool" (Dexcool) comepletely out and replace with the gold stuff. Works like a champ. Did not want a plugged heater core or failed gaskets. As I am under warranty with the Sig I shall adhere to the severe maintenance schedule with service being performed by my Mazda dealer. After warranty we will have to see, but unless there is an issue with the OEM Mazda coolant I will not change it. It is a sealed system, so unless contaminated it should be good for a very long time.

Upvote 0
You're not risking anything by using the yellow one, or whatever.
Is this just your personal opinion, or do you have any data to back this up?

I don't know enough to prove or disprove your statement, so unless I have solid data either way, I usually refrain from making blanket statements, on any subject.
As an aside, that doesn't stop the so called experts from posting youtube videos on stuff they know nothing about, like videos on replacing rear brakes with the EPB system, and not knowing or talking about maintenance mode requirements (I digress. Sorry)

Upvote 0
Is this just your personal opinion, or do you have any data to back this up?

I don't know enough to prove or disprove your statement, so unless I have solid data either way, I usually refrain from making blanket statements, on any subject.
As an aside, that doesn't stop the so called experts from posting youtube videos on stuff they know nothing about, like videos on replacing rear brakes with the EPB system, and not knowing or talking about maintenance mode requirements (I digress. Sorry)
I agree with snorting2.5 that different coolants shouldn't be mixed, but I can't agree that "whatever" can be used. Mazda is pretty specific about what should go into their engines. I'm going to continue to use FL22, probably Motorcraft Specialty Green.

2023-03-29 14_43_37-Greenshot capture form.png

Upvote 0
Back