Mothers California Gold -- help

:
03 Proteg
Alright so I plan on cleaning my ride once the rain stops. I went by Walmart and saw the Clay Bar Paint Saving System by Mothers. Has anyone used this on their car before? Did you apply any other products besides whats in the box? Preferably over the counter products. Thanks.

4hcfwub.jpg

you use this to get all the grime that you cant see (overspray, bug juice, sap), makes the car really really smooth, then apply a wax to seal out all the worlds dirt.

Werd, I just wanna see what results people got with using this(satisfied or not). And if they used any other products to go along with it.

i had a lot of overspray from painting my bumper on the car and it took it off and made it feel smoother than the day i bought it, great product, detailers have been using it for many of years.

Clay is very nessesary when you're trying to get a really good shine. Not only does it make your car feel oh-so-sexy smooth, it helps the wax/sealant that you apply afterwards bond much better to the paint.

Well said Jason.

I've used the Mothers clay lots of times. It's a great product. The cleaner wax that it comes with is a decent product too, but I'd use a better wax/sealant instead.
Just make sure to keep the clay lubricated. If it starts to drag, the microabrasives in the paint can leave hazing/scuffs. They're easily polished out, but still, it's more work.

I personally use adams polished products (http://www.adamspolishes.com/) and I think they are great. What turned me on to them is that the fire dept I work for uses it, after using it everyday for awhile and seeing how well it works, I was hooked. Their website even has instructional videos that are helpful no matter whose products you use. Also, their VRT (similar to amor all, vinyl, rubber, tire) is phenominal, it work fantasic on tires and is one of the better, if not the best tire dressing I've used. Sorry, a little off topic, right back,

I have used the mothers clay bar and it works well, you'll be amazed at what it pulls off your paint and how well the paint feels when your done. Just make sure you take the time to give it a good coat of some nice wax after to protect the paint. Also like Mr. Detailer said, keep it well lubricated with the included spray, or any detail spray.

Last edited:
never Ender said:
Thanks. Would you recommend I add a polish aswell?

its always a good idea if you can afford the PC and polish (i can't, not right now). The buffer, pads, and polish would most likely come in at under $200.

Yeah, I always recommend that a polish be used before waxing/sealing. Use the clay first, and then use a polish. Be aware that there are many different levels of polish, and if you're going to be using it by hand, do NOT use an aggressive polish. You'll likely be biting off more than you can chew, as they say. Though aggressive polishes are only needed for serious swirl/oxidation correction, so you may not need that in the first place. A light polish will just clean off oxidation and maybe remove/hide some very minor swirls.

If you don't have any already, get some high quality microfiber towels, and learn to wash the car properly (it's more complex than most people think). These two things are the most common causes of swirls on vehicles.

Mr Detailer said:
Yeah, I always recommend that a polish be used before waxing/sealing. Use the clay first, and then use a polish. Be aware that there are many different levels of polish, and if you're going to be using it by hand, do NOT use an aggressive polish. You'll likely be biting off more than you can chew, as they say. Though aggressive polishes are only needed for serious swirl/oxidation correction, so you may not need that in the first place. A light polish will just clean off oxidation and maybe remove/hide some very minor swirls.

If you don't have any already, get some high quality microfiber towels, and learn to wash the car properly (it's more complex than most people think). These two things are the most common causes of swirls on vehicles.

Thanks for the info :)

I plan to use Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish.

That's a very gentle polish, meant to be used by hand, so it will work well with your method. Realize that the DC polish is non-abrasive, so don't expect it to remove any swirls or scratches. It does contain some fillers, so you might get a little bit of hiding from it.

Back