momintary studder

eprx799

:
1979 Mazda RX-7 base modified for solo/trackdays
I have a stock '07 ms3 w/52k that has run fine its entire life, but now I have a studder in the car while cruising at highway speeds between 65-80mph. I don't know if it does it during city driving because I don't do much of it. I haven't thrown any CEL's. Anyone else have the same problem or know what it maybe?

Call me crazy but, how about pulling the spark plugs a seeing what they look like? If they're the same ones the car came with, they're probably good and done by now.

I'm thinking plugs, too. A bit early, but worth a look. Air filter, too?

I changed my spark plugs at 60,000 but it looked like it didn't need it. I know you know a lot more than I, Marc, but maybe try running a bottle of Seafoam through it to clean it out real good. It may also be worth it to clean out the EGR valve and line. My car acted up and eventually threw a CEL--cleaned EGR valve and ran smooth and fine ever since. Changed spark plugs and ran Seafoam through the engine at 60,000 miles, and it improved even further. Sometimes those little maintenance things make all the difference.

Mine seemed happier after a Sea Foam dose. Sure worth a try and can't hurt.

thanks for the info. I did the filter about 5000 miles ago and had the egr valve replaced under the extended warranty. I will give the seafoam a shot and also do the plugs this week.

OP: Make one change at a time. It becomes very difficult to troubleshoot when too many "fixes" are attempted at the same time. May I humbly suggest that you hold off on the Seafoam until after you have addressed the plug issue. This engine is hard on plugs. 52K is going to be probably as much as twice as many miles as you ought to have put on the car without at least having pulled, checked, and regapped them, and it probably beyond their useful life.

At that mileage I'd put in a new set and make sure they are the proper heat range and properly gapped. Only after doing that and still having the problem would I consider Seafoaming, especially if you have already replaced the EGR valve.

If you decide to Seafoam, check with guys here who have done it on this engine. I have not. You know it does nothing on this engine to add it to fuel. The high pressure direct fuel injection system is going to prevent it from doing any good. You are going to have to add it to the intake at a point where it goes into the engine through an intake valve. With direct injection, the intake valves only introduce boosted air, not an air fuel mixture. I think that some guys are maybe putting the Seafoam in through the bpv recirc hose. Check with those who have done it.

Do the plugs only at this point and let us know how it goes. I think there is a very high chance that it will get rid of your momentary stutter.

Last edited:
I Sea Foamed mine through the port on the "front" of the engine (between the motor and the radiator). It produced a small amount of smoke (not nearly what my Ram did). There's a hose with a blue clip - back the clip off and push a tube onto the fitting that exposes. Sea Foam will help clean any "stuff" in the fuel lines, so treating the gas can have a beneficial effect.

Its back!!! ok I did the plugs and ran the car for a week and it studdered a couple of times. Then in late Jan. I seafoamed the car it studdered a couple of times. Then I took it on a long road trip to Daytona and back to Akron and everything seemed fine. So yesterday I was doing some running around and it started again. Any ideas what else it could be. Possible fuel filter? Dirty throtle body? It feels like its losing power for a second and then continues to run. It hasn't thrown a cel for this problem.

A dashhawk to do some datalogging would be nice. I've got a computer that plugs into the OBDII port and can read your engine vitals, but it cannot provide anything but realtime feedback--so you would need to have a passenger holding it, reading the values and understanding what they are.

And to add to your ideas of problem ares, try cleaning the EGR valve. Mine ran bad for a bit, then finally threw a blocked EGR code (P0401 I believe). Cleaned the EGR valve and it runs like a champ. Good luck finding it out, and keep us updated to try and help!

Back