Mirror my Google Pixel to OEM headunit!

Caspan

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
So I am about to undertake an awesome project. I want to mirror my Google Pixel phone to my CX-5 OEM head unit. I am really tecky but might need some help planning this project out. What I want to do is have a cable in my center arm rest. I get into my car, open the arm rest, plug in my phone, close the lid and my head unit would show a mirror of my screen, touches on the headunit would go to my phone. Sounds simple right?? LOL so here are my thoughts.

1. Getting video to the head unit. From my research if I want to use my OEM head unit my only option is to use the coax in on the back of the unit, there are 2 unused pins on the back of the unit for a backup camera, these pins are video signal and video signal ground. I would need to use a USB C to HDMI dongle to get the Digital video and audio out of my phone. Then from the HDMI I would need to take the video and audio and convert it to analog. They have cables that take HDMI to RCA video and audio for like 100$ CDN. This would get me video and audio to the back of the head unit. Now I would need to find the 12v wire that is triggered high when the car is in reverse. This will take some playing around with a volt meter but will be easy to fool once I find it. Ill just remove the cars signiling cable and replace it with my own 12v source that is fused, resisted and switched. I need to make it switchable somewhere to flip back and forth from my mirrored Android screen to the OEM head unit because normally the only time the backup camera is on is when the car is in reverse. If I just trigger it high all the time how do I get back to my head unit to do other stuff like turn on the radio or change car settings. Also if someone is using the car without a phone and wants to use it normally. I almost want it to default to head unit unless I press this button to turn on mirroring. so a relay that defaults to 0v when powered but when toggled holds 12v. That way when you power the car off it will default back to the OEM screen. My idea is to put a nicely placed push switch in the center console or something close to the driver to toggle. Unless someone has a better idea how to switch from one mode to the other.

2. Audio: The head unit will still function properly for audio even with the backup camera interface on. So I have a choice of Bluetooth or Aux in. The CX-5 has a horrible 2 second lag with Bluetooth audio from it so I am thinking of using the RCA audio off the HDMI cable from step 1. Why go wireless if there is a cable there already. I know it's not digital but this is just simple audio not a 5.1 around system. Any idea how to get the analog audio into the stereo? Should I just vampire tap the existing aux input on the back of the head unit and feed my audio in from the HDMI cable?

3. Getting touches from OEM screen to my Android device: I will be buying one of these puppies http://www.customgadz.com this unit will take touches from my OEM screen and send them like a mouse click to my Android screen. It just acts like a simple HID device over Bluetooth. Very cool device if it works!

Any thoughts or ideas on this project I would love to hear it. I'll be posting updates and pictures here as I do stuff.

Last edited:
Interesting project...

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

HTB17PEjJFXXXXbpXVXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg

Well I was thinking of using a Chrome Cast to do the wireless connection but I figured if I have to plug it in for power then I might as well plug it in for HDMI and a connected connectors always works. I will have to look at how this works wirelessly.

I'm doing this already, but with a Kenwood DNN991HD. What I would like to do, is install a cradle somewhere, to put the phone in it.

When you say you are doing this already do you mean just the mirroring or the touch capabilities as well?

For your mounting solution I recommend ProClip they make a base mounting solution for any vehicle and they you buy a holder for your specific phone.

I am putting my phone in my center arm rest because with mirroring on the screen of my phone will always be on and will be annoying to see. So I need my phone out of site.

I have the mirroring with touch(no pinch zooming though), with my Kenwood unit, but barely using it. I hate connecting cables.
Android Auto works now on my Note 3 and it would be nice to use it on my Kenwood, but every time when I get in the car I have to connect a cable and they place the phone somewhere, plus the cables are all over my center console.
I like a factory integrated setup. That is why I say that I would prefer a cradle installation.
Something like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img...alaxy-Note-3-III-N9000-N9005/1727481326.html#

Your avatar looks very familiar to me, mp3car forum by any chance?

Last edited:
Are you currently experiencing an issue with Bluetooth connectivity when using your Pixel? For some reason it's disconnecting far more than my 6P did.

The reverse signal that goes to the headunit is not 12v is can bus coded signal

Enviado desde mi D6603 mediante Tapatalk

@PMtibimakai

How did you get mirroring with touch on an after market unit? For me I am fine with connecting one cable and putting it in my center console and its out of the way. I cant stand these clunky holders but that is a personal opinion!

The reverse signal that goes to the headunit is not 12v is can bus coded signal

Can you explain this more? what is a "can bus coded signal" never heard of it before. Any any ideas how to get around it because if I cannot it will be a problem as the whole project would hinge on this if i can change the screen to the reverse screen to show the input its useless

Are you currently experiencing an issue with Bluetooth connectivity when using your Pixel? For some reason it's disconnecting far more than my 6P did.

No I am not having any issues at all and if you want start a new thread or PM me for more information instead of off topic comments on the thread.

My Kenwood, has an HDMI output on the back and I'm using an MHL cable, for my Samsung phone. There is a Kenwood app, that allows the touch function to be enabled.

Cab bus is like a pulsed signal, can't be used as an accessory or backup camera signal. I have tried that on my previous VW, and I did not have a nice video signal coming out of the camera.

My Kenwood, has an HDMI output on the back and I'm using an MHL cable, for my Samsung phone. There is a Kenwood app, that allows the touch function to be enabled.

So is that a standard Android app? If so that is really cool and maybe simpler then my task. My problem was always getting the touches back to my mobile devices. Ill have to look at the unit to see if its worth switching to it!

Back