Might buy a bike

M=SP^2

:
Laser Blue Mazdaspeed Protege
Guy at my job is selling a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 with 9000 miles for 700 bucks. I'm thinking of taking the plunge and learning how to ride. My question is, is this a good bike to learn on, is it relatively reliable and is this a good deal? Thanks in advance.

Pennsylvania DMV actually runs a 2 week course so I'll probably take that. Everyone keeps telling me how dangerous it is though....so I'm having second thoughts, can any bikers out there share their experiences?

if you don't ride like an ass doing wheelies and s*** like that, it's somewhat safer then people think, BUT- you have to watch out for OTHER ***** in cars, they will cut you off like no tomorrow because they don't care...

M=SP^2 said:
Pennsylvania DMV actually runs a 2 week course so I'll probably take that. Everyone keeps telling me how dangerous it is though....so I'm having second thoughts, can any bikers out there share their experiences?
I've only been down in one accident since I sarted riding 13 years ago. Broke all three major bones in my left leg, broke my clavicle and but a big enough chip in my helmet that I can't actually remember anything from 6 blocks before the accident until the EMT in the ambulance told me they were goiong to cut of my jeans and jacket. That woke me up pretty quick for a few seconds, I liked my jacket, so I sat up and took it off so they wouldn't have to cut it, didn't even notice the broken clavicle when I did it(boom05) . Adreneline is wonderful. Turned out the lady that I hit made a left turn across the street right in front of me and I didn't quite make it around the front of her '75 Mercedes so I ended up high siding myself right in to the side of her car with my leg sandwiched between the exhaust and single sided swing arm on my VFR, basically almost all the metal on the back half of the bike. I was out on medical leave from work for 4 months, not too bad since the doctor estimated 6, and at 6 months my dealer called to let me know that the new 94 models were out, drove the car down and rode a new bike back to work with a loner helmet while they ordered mine.

Now that you've had the horror story I can say without reservation that I would still ride at a moments notice, I only finally gave up the bike to help on a house down payment and at the moment it's a little hard to fit two kids under 3 and a wife on a bike. I'll pick up a new on latter with a side car, hopefully a BMW 1250.

M=SP^2 said:
Guy at my job is selling a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 with 9000 miles for 700 bucks. I'm thinking of taking the plunge and learning how to ride. My question is, is this a good bike to learn on, is it relatively reliable and is this a good deal? Thanks in advance.

It's an excellent bike to learn on. I learned to ride streetbikes on a Kwak 440LTD and shortly after that I got a CBR1100XX. Now I've got a CBR 929RR and I love it.
As long as you learn to ride responsibly, then you should be fine. Also the MSF courses will help you a great deal. I'd say go for it!
BTW, the 440LTD I bought only had like 5K miles on it and I sold it for a little more than I paid for it (headbang) Good luck.

EDIT: mp5jeff is right..its the other cars that you have to worry about more than anything. Also be sure to get good gear (helmet, jacket, and gloves)...it'll save your skin

Last edited:
Back