Mazdaspeed's price and Performance specs!!!!

US versus Canadian Prices

Living closer to the border of Ontario and New York, I've heard lots about this "different price" issue for Canadians and US citizens lately.

I wish I could find an article I read on one of the local newspaper web sites recently....but here was the jist of the article...

Prices of vehicles (Manufacturer's suggested retail price) in Canada are 5% to 10% lower than those in the states. The reason Manufacturers establish lower prices, by country, they take into consideration many factors:

1) that country's economy and where their dollar is ranked compared to the US $.

2) the competition, e.g. if you take a Ford windstar minivan and price it according to the Canadian economy and dollar, say it ends up at $25,000, but Chrysler comes along and doesn't consider the economy and dollar, but just converts their US price to Canadian funds, the comparable van would sell for $29,000 - they wouldn't sell any!!! They have to establish a country specific MRSP to be competetive.

The article I read then went into a very common scam that is going near border towns. Something the manufacturers are very upset about and are considering punishing their dealers....

Lets say a dealer in upstate New York has a customer who wants a certain car that is $27,000 US on the lot (MSRP) but the customer says thats a little to rich for me....the dealer takes him in the back room, says, look, I can go to Canada (20 minute drive away to a border town such as Cornwall Ontario (only a 2Km bridge separates the US)), US dealer goes to a Canadian dealer, purchase the EXACT same vehicle for (after dollar conversion) $22,000 (US) - a difference of $5000 US. The dealer drives it back to the US, customer gives dealer $1000 for their "work/troubles/finders fee", the customer then buy a 3rd party extended warranty for $500 (as the manufacturer's warranty is not valid if it crosses a border) - and guess what, th customer gets the exact same vehicle, picks it up from a local dealer, with a warranty for a total of $23,500 - which is $3,500 lower than if he bought the exact same vehicle at the US MRSP from the exact same dealer.

The article then interviewed a few people who have purchased a vehicles this way, and they are totally happy, they have a warranty, got the new vehicle they want, and for less than their neighbour down the street (...who's dealer didn't do the Canadian scam).

Apparantley, this is happening a lot and the manufacturers are really getting pissed about it as they see it as their own dealers are hurting their profits. The manufacturers are looking for ways of "punishing" any of their dealers who do this.....

Re: US versus Canadian Prices

The manufacturers are looking for ways of "punishing" any of their dealers who do this.....

I have checked with Antoine. He thinks we should bring back the guillottine. :)

Does anybody have any info on what sort of RPM band the turbo will be kicking in at? I'm just wondering if it will be of good use on the autoX circuit. I know from watching Civics that they sometimes have some difficulty getting into their high rpm powerband and I know that if/when I get a custom turbo, I'd like the meat of the turbo to be kicking in at as low RPM as possible

A turbo in AutoX is ok, but the spool lag can kill ya.

Expect to see full boost on this thing at about 2200-2500 rpm. That makes for a great auto X setup. That t25 that comes with the car (tiny baby turbo) has NOOOO lag on our 2.0 liter motors unless you are concerned with power before 2200 rpm:rolleyes:

All in all I believe this car will do 0-60 in the very low 7 sec range.

After putting on a nice exhaust, downpipe and airfilter(minus resonators) you will see even quicker spool up and about 20 more horsies:eek: Just because it is a turbo car and mods on them make a more substantial difference then on N/A cars.

The car will be able to safley handle more boost with more fuel, So bigger injectors and nifty boost controller will do the trick. And if you do blow it up(by doing something really really stupid like boosting 20psi) than DUHH take the stuff out and give it to the dealer. They will never know that you even had a boost controller or injectors because they will never know:D and even if they had dattalogging access through memory on the ecu(which I highly doubt) it could be blamed on other things such as a possible faulty waste gate ect.

spoolinmp3 said:
And if you do blow it up(by doing something really really stupid like boosting 20psi) than DUHH take the stuff out and give it to the dealer. They will never know that you even had a boost controller or injectors because they will never know:D and even if they had dattalogging access through memory on the ecu(which I highly doubt) it could be blamed on other things such as a possible faulty waste gate ect.

With saying that, I think people should remember that if you are going to mod you MS-P, you need to make sure that all you installations are done neat, clean and professionally. When things are done clean and professional they're usually a lot easier to undo. I'd hate hear about someone modding their MS-P, blowing it up, then hearing about their dealership doing them dry because they found out they had modded the car prior to it having problems.

With saying that, I think people should remember that if you are going to mod you MS-P, you need to make sure that all you installations are done neat, clean and professionally. When things are done clean and professional they're usually a lot easier to undo. I'd hate hear about someone modding their MS-P, blowing it up, then hearing about their dealership doing them dry because they found out they had modded the car prior to it having problems.

Very Very true

mazdaspeed's price and performance specs!!!

I know some peeps that work at the mazda building, and the real specs are not 170 hp. They are advertising it as 6.1 in one magizine and in road and track its gunna say 6.9, but its really going to have 180- 190 hp, and go from 0-60 in 6 seconds flat. Keep it on the down low.. cant wait till its out cause ill have one. peacee

Re: mazdaspeed's price and performance specs!!!

colin949 said:
I know some peeps that work at the mazda building, and the real specs are not 170 hp. They are advertising it as 6.1 in one magizine and in road and track its gunna say 6.9, but its really going to have 180- 190 hp, and go from 0-60 in 6 seconds flat. Keep it on the down low.. cant wait till its out cause ill have one. peacee

0-60 in 6 sec. flat, keep it on the down low huh. :) Now this is what I call a reliable source. ;)

Re: mazdaspeed's price and performance specs!!!

colin949 said:

lol....:bs:

sounds great to me tho! i got mine ordered already so news like that would be just icing on the cake. When is this alleged road and Track article gonna come out? I was just talking to my dealer and he was saying how he is suprised more magazines and press havent been talking about the MS-P so i was wondering too..

mazdaspeed's pricing and performance specs!!!

to apexistud, well my mom work for mazda and whent to a meeting on the car, so if you dotn think thats a reliable source thats fine, but to everyone who believes it its 0-60 in 6 seconds, just whach when it comes out, that is exactly what is is going to be, and its going to have more horsepower than 170. I wasnt even going to post anything but everyone was putting 0-60 times so i wanted to put the right time on. Why do you think it says estimated in every magizine? ITs because mazda has not released the final specs, they dont want anyone to know what it is going to be untill it comes out.

Welcome to the site...

I want to believe you...but..well...will see...I hope the car mags won't get "pre-production" versions that are not 100'% ready...even though its a bit late not to have sorted everything out...but I wouldn't be surprised if they are still tweaking it...anyway...you all remember that neon from hell will soon descend upon the streets...it should be an ass-kicker...watch out...does anyone know anyone whos actually going to get that neon? Can you say MS Vs SRT-4 comparison???

If the MS is going to stick with the NA engine as the base...then I don't know if Mazda would feel safe with the engine making enough power for low 6 second 0-60 and didn't someone ride in one...6 second 0-60 is Neon SRT-4 territory (as claimed)...

Will see :cool:

Hope you enjoy the site....

To refresh your memory:

The 2003 Dodge SRT-4:

0-60 in under 6 seconds (5.9)

Top speed of 148 mph

60-0 stopping in 120 feet

Priced at $20,000 ($19,995 sticker)

The srt-4 is like the American muscle version of a sport compact...well in a dodge sort of way...it has a big 4 WITH a turbo...it may not be good looking....it may not be as reliable....it may lack sophistication...but its fast, cheap and should be a great value...

Now the MS....is much better looking, should handle extremely well, awesome stock sound system...cool interior...balanced power...overall more sophisticated but might end up being more expensive...

I'm just trying to point out the facts about each car...I love the MS...but the raw performance of the SRT-4 is catching my attention. :cool:

Well, if you think about it, not too many front wheel drive, sport compact cars are capable of sub 6 second 0-60 times. Honestly, I don't think there are any and if there is one or 2, they definately aren't factory built vehicles. Most vehicles capable of doing that are usually either V6 performance cars or all-wheel drive 4 cylinders. So, if Mazda manages to create a vehicle capable of doing it without using 13 inch Micky T drag radials, they should be praised and the Mazdaspeed will be a hot commodity.

I still think it will possibly do low 7's in the 0-60, but a high 6 sec pass is possible providing you get the proper launch.:( Sub 6 would enable the Mazdaspeed to mess with Suby owners and destroy all Hondas.

APEXistud said:
Well, if you think about it, not too many front wheel drive, sport compact cars are capable of sub 6 second 0-60 times. Honestly, I don't think there are any and if there is one or 2, they definately aren't factory built vehicles. Most vehicles capable of doing that are usually either V6 performance cars or all-wheel drive 4 cylinders. So, if Mazda manages to create a vehicle capable of doing it without using 13 inch Micky T drag radials, they should be praised and the Mazdaspeed will be a hot commodity.

I still think it will possibly do low 7's in the 0-60, but a high 6 sec pass is possible providing you get the proper launch.:( Sub 6 would enable the Mazdaspeed to mess with Suby owners and destroy all Hondas.

I still think that the MS-P will hit 6.4-6.9sec 0-60's IMO. But a sub 6sec flat would be nice and you'll be able to toy well not toy, but be around that mark with a stang GT, wondering what's under that (Vibrant orange or Black mica Hood. hehe....:p But for Suby's that would be cool.:cool: lol

Antoine said:
...(snip)...but the raw performance of the SRT-4 is catching my attention. :cool:
Much like the repair bills will catch your attention later. Look at the spot charts: Dodges are pieces of junk.

well I am here in San Antiono TX I as soon as I find out what I need to do when I trade my 2002 MP5 for a black or spicy orange . The general manager tolled me that there will be no mark up as in the MP3 $ 2000 . there will be none on the MS-P
so all I need is $1500 and $500 for deposit , and I am looking at $19.000-- $20.000 wich is not bad ----- orange orange orange

Attachments

• tony5 001.jpg
    tony5 001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 188
so all I need is $1500 and $500 for deposit , and I am looking at $19.000-- $20.000 wich is not bad

You were given a price...Or is that what you estimate to be the price?

Syzygy...I've never owned a dodge and I don't plan too....but how do you know the srt-4 will be a piece of junk? Time will tell...time will tell. Yeah...past neons have a shady past...but this is not your normal neon.

fastcat178221 said:
well I am here in San Antiono TX I as soon as I find out what I need to do when I trade my 2002 MP5 for a black or spicy orange . The general manager tolled me that there will be no mark up as in the MP3 $ 2000 . there will be none on the MS-P
so all I need is $1500 and $500 for deposit , and I am looking at $19.000-- $20.000 wich is not bad ----- orange orange orange

19-20......durrr......i dont know about that......i wouldnt hold my breath if i was you.....

and what do you mean by no markup? are they going to sell it for invoice?

Latest posts

Back