Mazdaspeed6 vs Acura TSX impressions

XPLORx4

:
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT
Hi all,

I just traded my 04 TSX for a brand-new 06 Mazdaspeed6 GT. The TSX had a nice 5-speed sportshift slushbox, which allowed the wifey to drive it, but she hardly ever used it, so I wanted to get into a manual tranny.

So, in my research, I considered the Subaru Legacy GT, the 2006 TSX, and the Mazdaspeed6. Even though the LGT has gobs more power than the TSX, it lacked too many of the refinements that I'd grown used to in the TSX. Things like steering wheel audio controls, aux-in capable HU, HIDs, auto-down windows, etc.

I wasn't willing to sacrifice these features for more power. So, that just left the 06 TSX vs. the MS6GT.

For 06, the FWD Acura gets 205HP from its 2.4L powerplant (the only engine available), and the 6-speed MT is silky smooth. Like many Honda 4-bangers, the most power is made in the high RPM range. VTEC doesn't kick in until 6000rpm, which is just 1400 below redline. Compared to my auto tranny, the 6-speed is pure joy.

Like previous years, handling is firm, but compliant. VSA/DSC does a good job of keeping the car in control when you want it to. However, deactivate it with a simple button, and when pushed hard, the chassis delivers a very predictable feeling. Under hard acceleration while cornering, it will tend to push, but a quick lift of the throttle will induce a thrillingly neutral 4-wheel drift. It's truly a blast to drive in the twisties.

What the 06 TSX lacks in raw horsepower, it makes up for in luxury features, including a very well-designed and easy to use dual-zone automatic climate control, xenon HIDs, a super intuitive touch-screen NAV, built-in XM radio (w/ free 3-month trial subscription), 2-memory driver's seat, power passenger seat, aux audio port, bluetooth, voice-recognition for audio, NAV and ACC, homelink, autodim mirror, moonroof, and more. (Go check out edmunds.com if you want all the details.)

Enter the Mazda. I asked the dealer to demo a fully-loaded Speed6. Coming from an Acura, I certainly wasn't willing to make big sacrifices in the luxury department. They provided a Titanium Grey GT with B&W leather, NAV, and moonroof- the most expensive vehicle on their lot that day. I immediately fell in love with the black and white leather. It gives the interior such a sporty look. The seats are a little more comfortable than the TSX. At least, that's what my wife says. As a driver, I can't really tell the difference.

The dash and instrument panel aren't nearly as pretty as the TSX, but the 6's AC vents are oh-so-cool. A gripe I had with the TSX, and in fact most Hondas, is that the AC vents don't aim down far enough. Other things I noticed about the Mazda interior are that it lacks the refinement of the Acura. The seat track ends aren't covered, the screws holding the visor on are exposed, the trunk floor is flimsy, and the floormats! OMG the floormats are crap!

The Mazda NAV is not nearly as easy to use and polished as Acura's implementation. Using the Mazda NAV remote control takes quite a bit of getting used to. The Acura touch-screen makes address lookup so much easier, and the UI is more intuitive. I'd have to say that compared to the Acura NAV, the Mazda kinda sucks. But hey, I'm a gadget freak, I wanted the NAV, so I'll get used to it.

I also miss the Homelink feature, which my MS6 didn't come equipped with. Gotta get me one of those autodim homelink mirrors.

When stacked up against the TSX, the Speed6's interior features compare favorably. Sure, it's missing some of the luxo-comforts and finishing touches, but iCertainly much nicer than the Legacy GT.

Now, on to the driving impressions! Having tested both a 6i and a 6s in 2003 (before ultimately deciding on the 04 TSX), I knew the Mazda6 handled well. I expected similar handling from the chassis, so its cornering ability, combined with AWD, came as no surprise. But what sold me? In other words, why did I sign a deal on a Mazdaspeed6 instead of an 06 TSX? Two words: HORSE POWER. The engine PULLS. It'll still pull nice and hard even at 80mph in 6th. No need to downshift to get around that idiot talking on the phone in the fast lane; just mash the gas. Oh yeah, and don't forget to change lanes first!

The 6-speed tranny shifts smoothly, possibly a tad notchier than the TSX, but otherwise it's terrific. Nice, short throws, closely spaced gear ratios. 80mph @ 3100rpm isn't too bad. That means that at normal (legal) freeway cruising speeds you're not always in boost on the turbo, which should save some gas.

My new ride has only 180 miles on it so far, and I'm sure I'll learn lots of new things about it as I get used to it, but so far, I'm very impressed. I don't miss the TSX at all.

WOW...Now that's what I call a right up! Thanks for taking my suggestion...Well done! (thumb)

Glad that I went with the MS6 rather than the LGT or TSX! Great write-up.

R

Update:

I've learned that the auto climate control is pretty lousy. It's either too hot or too cold, and even if you leave the temp at, say, 78, when it's 50F outside, at some point it'll start blowing cold air! WTF?!?! I have to turn it up to 85 to get warm air again, but then the friggin' fan speeds up, too, and then I have to turn it back down!

Argh! Oh well, I guess I can't have my cake and eat it, too.

I'd take the TSX....im a fan boy. I'm sure the MS6 is fun though. Glad it's working out

Mp5978 said:
Congrats on the MS6. I wish there a way to boosted my TSX...it needs more power!

If you've got the coin, there is, except not for your 05 just yet. Check this thread for details.

SC2.jpg

very well written review/comparison, with proper grammar and punctuation to boot!

if only everyone on this forum can write like this.... lol

well done (thumb)

XPLORx4 said:
If you've got the coin, there is, except not for your 05 just yet. Check this thread for details.

Yeah I was reading about that in the TSX forum. It's just a shame there nothing good is offer for the 05. No Hondata, no supercharger! damn those 04.

I own a Silver '05 TSX, with the Autostick, as well as an '06 MS6 GT in Titanium Gray. I work out of the TSX, while my wife drives the MS6 on a daily basis. She is, however a "stay at home mom", so it keeps the miles off the MS6.

I love my TSX, as it is comfortable, has a lot of amenities, drives nice, and handles like it's on rails(it has Eibach lowering springs, and RSX A-spec wheels w/ 225/45 Yokohamas), but it has ZERO TORQUE.

For this reason, the MS6 is 100 times more fun to drive IMO, especially on the highway, where it will run up on 100mph without even breathing hard. It's just so much fun to run through the gears, and let the little turbo set you back in the seat from gear to gear. Every "On-ramp" is like a carnival ride in this thing. Just my .02.....

BTW...like the TSX, make damn sure you run nothing but Premium Unleaded in the MS6. I believe the manual states minimum 91 ocatne, but the HIGHER, the BETTER.

Back