mazdaspeed3 motor swap into an MP5?

You can order a new MS3 motor. However, cost for motor and trans, then all the money that will need to be dumped in R&D for the mere logistics of such a swap...well, let's just say, you could buy yourself another MP5 or two.

u guys are all a bunch of buzz kills... i mean everything u've said is totally correct, but let the guy dream for gosh sakes... it's obviously just pipe dreams and if it's not then all i've gotta say is that i BETTER get a ride... hahaha... and a 350ci chevy would be so heavy the rear wheels would probably lift off the ground... hahaha... plus u'd have to figure out how to get it to work in a FWD car, or how to make a P5 RWD... if u get a couple of good mechanics i'm sure u could get a MS3 engine to work but it would entail a huge amount of fabricating and that would be shockingly expensive

It should fit fine with some new motor mounts. Have to play around with drive axle lengths and such, but I don't see that it would be that big of an issue. Why is everyone crapping on the idea?

It should fit fine with some new motor mounts. Have to play around with drive axle lengths and such, but I don't see that it would be that big of an issue. Why is everyone crapping on the idea?

Hate to bring back an semi-old thread, but seriously, why all the negative feedback?

This is the difference between the Honda community and the Mazda community....

Years ago, a few people took the time to play with their cars, and now look at all the possibilities there are out there for Honda swaps and what not. It's become almost required for ppl to look into swapping whatever better motor Honda provides into another body.

I'm not saying a 2.3 MZR motor swap will be cake - or even anywhere near as easy as some Honda swaps - but there's still no need to just shoot down ideas just because YOU [no one personally] feel that it's not worth it...without ever actually looking into it.

Hate to bring back an semi-old thread, but seriously, why all the negative feedback?

This is the difference between the Honda community and the Mazda community....

Years ago, a few people took the time to play with their cars, and now look at all the possibilities there are out there for Honda swaps and what not. It's become almost required for ppl to look into swapping whatever better motor Honda provides into another body.

I'm not saying a 2.3 MZR motor swap will be cake - or even anywhere near as easy as some Honda swaps - but there's still no need to just shoot down ideas just because YOU [no one personally] feel that it's not worth it...without ever actually looking into it.

because they're are eleventyBILLION b18 b16 and h22... and about maybe in the whole WORLD about 15,000 DISI 2.3 turbos... finding an engine is hard enough

if anything start with the regular 3 2.3(you have a MUCH better chance at finding one of these than the DISI motor) and you can get some mad power out of that, but i know someone on hear tried and failed miserably.

face it, these cars are not even close to how much aftermarket support the civic has. the civic has been around for way longer and much much cheaper in price. the mz3 engine is a little more expensive then a little vtech engine, lol.

the honda vs mazda comparison really isnt fair. honda engineers vehicles and components to be far more interchangable across vehicle lines making swaps easier by comparison.

honestly, there is no compelling reason to drop a DISI 2.3 into a car that doesn't already have it. its cheaper, easier, quicker to make your standard 2.3 from an 04 mazda3 faster than it is to convert to a DISI setup. plenty more parts available, its a relatively stout engine even stock and you don't have the fuel system handicaps that you would with the DISI. i'd wager to say you'd spend alot less money getting a standard 2.3, building it, boosting it, being faster than a DISI swap.

everything would have to be custom getting this engine into a 3rd gen protege. the engine situates itself in the reverse position that a protege engine does (intake manifold in front, etc) the transmissions are not remotely alike, there is the issue of the throttle by wire system versus a traditional throttle setup, completely rewiring the car, custom exhaust, custom engine mounts, getting the dash to work, all the sensors involved in making the car smog legal, the fuel system...

is this a buzzkill or a nay say or a poo poo on the idea? yes, absolutely. when all is said and done can it be done? sure, with money. how much do you want to spend and what would you like the end result to be? its like when people ask me about doing the AWD swap from a Sport20 to thier protege. the parts alone will put you at the price tag of a used WRX and whats the result? a 130hp car losing power to four wheels instead of just two. Realism, pessimism, call it what you like.

Build the 2.0, boost it, enjoy it.

Buzzkill? Pessimism? Call it what you like.

This is the classic situation where someone poses the question of "can we do X" and then a bunch of people get stars in their eyes and can't wait till someone says "oh sure, all you need is a couple screwdrivers a nickle and bubble gum and it drops in".

100% of the posts I see posing these questions also contain a few words about how they "don't want to spend too much money" or are "on a budget" etc. Also, most of the people asking the questions don't seem to know what some basic engine components are either. That's when I know it's a pipe dream.

With enough money, anything is possible.

Yeah this thought crossed my mind when I wondered how much MORE power I could make with a built 2.3L. Plus maybe even get a 6Spd in there. It's possible. I don't see why not.

Yeah this thought crossed my mind when I wondered how much MORE power I could make with a built 2.3L. Plus maybe even get a 6Spd in there. It's possible. I don't see why not.

There is a local MSP here in Coconut Creek that did the engine swap. Cost him well over 4k. He had to do some front end work but it fit. Only problem he kept the TMIC and suffers from heat soak. Go figure. Plus he got the engine at cost because he works at the local Mazda dealer.

I would rather just get a junker 2.3L and build it. Is he on this forum? Who did the build? $4k for motor mounts? I wanna say that all you have to do is modify the axles and go FMIC.

what about the 1.8l awd turbod engine/transmission set up that ken sells at protege garage? how about that swap?? thats only 2 grand?

He did it at the dealer! It is a black MSP. He is also a sales person there.

well if you bought an entire front end from a rear ended m3,6,focus whatever, you could make custom mounts, get custom axles, crossmember etc. it wouldnt be alot of cash if you could do the work and wiring yourself.

well if you bought an entire front end from a rear ended m3,6,focus whatever, you could make custom mounts, get custom axles, crossmember etc. it wouldnt be alot of cash if you could do the work and wiring yourself.

He said it was direct drop in, just some work on the transmition mount and the wiring harness.

Yeah but is he on this forum? Also he will have issues with bolt ons, I would still do the 2.3L swap and go forged.

He does not post much on the forum. i think he did post a few months back about the engine swap.

Back