Mazdaspeed transmission problems

crjames3141

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello everyone. So recently i was being an idiot one night and popped the clutch a little late after hitting the gas. the car shuddered and ceased to move. The car wont move in any direction and when the clutch is engaged the rpms just rise. Clutch and throwout bearing have been replaced and the transmission was pulled again and a gear selector roll pin was replaced thinking a gear wouldnt engage. Can cycle through every gear and can hear them all. when manually spinning the shaft of the transmission you can see the gears all rotating and no chunks of metal are present in the transmission. everything looks minty clean. anyone have any ideas????

Broken Differential, Look up Mazdaspeed protege LSD and you will see how common failure is.

If your already inside the trans to see the gears, the broken dif should be pretty aparent. The question ill interject is if you need to replace the ring-gear when this happens?
You can replace with a rev 3 oem, mfactory as mosy people do or quaife if your spendy =] welcome to the forums!

Yep that would explain it. Sooooooo is there any way to rebuild it or am i just screwed and have to buy a new differential.

Thank you for the welcome!! Ive pulled the trans 3 times now and unfortunately its all back together and moving no where now. everything looked squeaky clean in there. I didnt see anything broken so im not sure what to look for to verify its the dif

The case of the diff itself will shear off, you have to buy a new one. I have not seen a newer version of the diff fail and they have revised them several times. If you get a new OEM diff you will be fine or you can go aftermarket and get a quaife or M Factory as mentioned. Some people weld the outside of the diff case for strength but I do not think it makes a huge difference considering the newer LSDs don't fail like the original ones do.

which one lasts longer? helical gear or friction plate "Oem"?

which one lasts longer? helical gear or friction plate "Oem"?

I honestly have no idea how to answer that question. Have never seen either of them fail aside from the LSDs that were ORIGINALLY installed in the MSPs. 03s have much higher failure rates than the 03.5s

well mr crjames3141 welcome to the broken diff club. I just pulled my tans apart yesterday to pull out my broken diff. there is a 174 page guide that was an awesome reference tool for this project. ill include the link on here. its a very straight forward process. a second pair of hands is a major help but not needed. and caution the gear stack is heavy. especially if u have to lift both stacks at the same time to pull out the shift forks. ill keep u posted on how mine turns out.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~frah0014/old/ZX2/ProbeTransRebuild.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah I'm gonna be out of a car for a couple of weeks. Just dropped all of my money on school. That's what I get for having sticky tires and big turbo.

I have to be sure. So when i pulled my transmission, is saw everything inside. One member commented that it would be very apparent that the differential was blown. Would i have to look at the differential to see this i never actually pulled it out. I only saw that big gear on top.

You will have to pull it out to see, but once you have the trans apart you can move the gearset over and slip the diff out. The case will be sheared in two pieces.

Yeah I'm gonna be out of a car for a couple of weeks. Just dropped all of my money on school. That's what I get for revving it to 4K and dumping the clutch with a stock diff, sticky tires and big turbo.

Fixt. :)

Back