Mazdaspeed CAI Vs Stock Air Box? question

zigger

(Want To Remove My Mazdaspeed Cai After Tune Is This Okay?, I want to put stock air box back on)

Hey guys.. I decided that I want to put the stock airbox back on the car for several reasons . A major one due to the Cel I get allll the time and the fact that when it rains my car runs like a bag of s***. I know someone who had a AEM intake (same as mazdaspeed inatke) and he removed it and alo felt like the car runs better and even felt faster and smoother?
My main question here is that I have had the car tuned with a 3" Tbe, CPE EMS, TMIC, BOV and the CAI. By removing the intake will I be screwing with my tune?
Does anyone actually think that these intakes really add power?

When I had my sti I kept the stock arbox and the few people I knew that ended up getting a perin intake or injen intake had nothing put problems , hickups and CEL when they went back to OEM airbox all those problems dissapeared
Thanks

i don't think that putting the stock airbox will mess up your tune. replacing the inlet is another thing though.

i think the stock air box is very restrictive. i would make your intake short ram before i put the stock air box back in. I currently have my fujita intake cut as short ram so it doesn't get fubar this winter.

Sorry I don't have anything really to contribute here except for that I haven't ever heard of a CAI causing problems like this. Are you sure it's your intake? Do you have a bad sensor maybe? A leak?

CAI can definitely throw a CEL. A lot of the time it has to do with the installation. If you don't unplug your battery when you put it in... the computer wont relearn and it may cause a CEL when it suddenly has a bigger cooler supply of air. My parents had a 02 wrx that we put a CAI on and within a day a CEL came on and the car ran horrible. We ended up buying a short ram of a different brand and NO CEL's and no problems at all. I have a 6 withthe v6 and an Ebay CAI. I instantly felt a huge positive difference with throttle response and of course it "felt" faster. Now it may just be the sound warping me into fast and the furious mode... but i like the sound and it feels like the car runs better as a whole. I went with the ebay model because it was very cost efficient. The fitment and mounting weren't the best in the world... but hey, 55 shipped is a deal. :)

If you still choose to go with the stock air box... at least upgrade your filter to a K&N to help your engine breathe better.

I have a Mazdaspeed intake on mine, and I only got CEL's during rain, and yet... it ran like s***... eventually hydrolocked!! found an easy solution though, got an Injen prefilter and now I have absolutley no trouble in the rain, it really works great

I have had the Mazdaspeed CAI installed by the dealership since January of this year with zero CEL's or problems. Correction, I do get fuel cut every once in a blue moon when I am driving it like I stole it but not consistently.

I have a Mazdaspeed intake on mine, and I only got CEL's during rain, and yet... it ran like s***... eventually hydrolocked!! found an easy solution though, got an Injen prefilter and now I have absolutley no trouble in the rain, it really works great

so your engine blew?

so your engine blew?

Yeah... but it was during this killer monsoon season we had here in san antonio for a while. Not normal weather for us. I lucked out and insurance covered it, good thing too cause the engine cost 9,000 and labor was 2,000 (dealership).

mazdaspeed cai vs stock

I have an 05 mazda3 atx and I felt the loss in power when i had the mspeed cai installed by the dealer. No cel just seemed sluggish so I went back to stock yesterday and noticed the better low end pull. I have a k&n filter drop in and now I'm looking at my $500 investment in my livingroom. Is it me or does the filter that comes with the mspeed look restrictive?

I'm not surprised the CAI didn't seem to help much on your 3, I've always felt cai's were kinda worthless on a N/A car. A short ram would probably work better in that case, imo. The filter on mine looked better (not restrictive) than the K&N filter on the intake I have on my Mustang, but I'm not sure what yours looked like.

Back