Mazda6 Starting Issue....Need Assistance ASAP

OH10_MSP

:
2003 Mazdapeed Protege
Hello,

I replaced the alternator on my 2004 Mazda6 4 cylinder. It repeatedly went into limp mode, alternator failed per dealership, so I paid them the diagnostic fee and decided to change it myself.

Replacement went in fine, no real issues. After installation I started the car, drove it for a few minutes, no battery light or limp mode, so I was in the clear (or so I thought)

A few hours later, I go to start the car and it won't start. Cranks great, just no starting. The following is a list of check downs I have completed.

1. Battery is holding charge.
2. Tired re-setting immobilizer. Opened car door without key FOB and starting, no luck.
3. Fuel Pump is fine, I can hear it prime.
4. All fuses under the hood check out with a test light
5. Swapped relay's around to see if anything would change, nothing.

I am not sure where to go next and the situation is urgent. It looks like there is not very much traffic on this portion of the forum, but M247 has never failed me in the past.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Update: Everything is solid. I will describe how I found and fixed the issues so this can serve to help others. There is nothing more I hate than an OP not finishing what he'she started to help the community.

As it turns out, the installation of the alternator was part of the culprit. The wiring harness for the crank sensor was pinched between the block and the alternator, which ended up blowing the wires out of their covering and they touched. This then caused the sensor to short out and prevented the car from starting (discovered after testing conduction) .

Here are some tips for the wiring harness that may not be well known.

1. This harness has two wires and a sort of exposed ground running in the loom. The wires are also covered by a sort of gold foil that must serve some conduit purpose.

2. Initially I re-soldered the wires, shrink wrapped the solders, then electrical taped them. This did not work in my favor as the exposed ground did not take well to the adhesive. The car would start fine when the loom was not covered in tape, but would not start at all when covered.

3. I ended up using corrugated wiring covering to cover everything and then electrical tape over that. It worked for me so it's golden.

I hope this thread can help someone out in the future.

Back