Mazda6 2.5 Slower than Mazda3 2.5?

I recently purchased a 2017 6 Touring with the 6spd manual transmission. I have a friend that had a 2018 3 with the 2.5 motor with 6spd manual. His 3 feels significantly more powerful. What are the differences between the 2 vehicles? Obviously the 6 is heavier but not by much.

Weight has a huge factor in the feel of everything. Theoretically every 200lbs saved equals .1 sec off a 1/4 time. And since the 3 is (ish) 1100lbs lighter than the 6...yeah...big ass difference.

Weight has a huge factor in the feel of everything. Theoretically every 200lbs saved equals .1 sec off a 1/4 time. And since the 3 is (ish) 1100lbs lighter than the 6...yeah...big ass difference.
Is it that much? Car and driver lists the 3 at 3248 lb, the 6 at 3437 lb.

Maybe the trims can make more diff in weight than they've listed, but that still seems a lot.

But agreed, every little bit of weight can be felt. I have a friend, big guy, would certainly drag me down when riding shotgun depending on the car. Hated picking him up.

I drove the 3 with the 2.5 with my friend sitting with me. There's clearly a big difference in power and it's not the weight. I've read on m6club that the flywheel is heavier in the 6. I'm not sure about the gearing being different.

Is it that much? Car and driver lists the 3 at 3248 lb, the 6 at 3437 lb.
I googled curb weights and found they varied a little from site to site, but most of them had the 6 at no more than 250 lbs heavier.
Not sure where the 1,100 lb difference quoted above comes from.

That may be true when you compare the CX9 to the 3 but not the 6 to the 3. Still, 200-250 lbs can be felt, all other things being equal. Of course, the Mazda6 Turbo will be faster than the 3, that is, until the 3 gets the turbo.

My bad y'all, I was going off of the 3's curb weight and the 6's gross weight. I'm going to guess I was drinking when I looked that up. 1100 seemed high to me but hey, ya know, booze.

Put a fat friend in the 3 and see if it feels the same as the 6?

Hey baby...you're just the girl I need in my car!

I have '14 Mazda3 and '16 Mazda6, both with 2.5L auto.
Yes, the Mazda3 is faster, but not by that much. Same engine, same gearing. The 3 is just lighter. The AT logics might be different. Also, remember that the AT learns your driving habit. Maybe your friend is just more lead footed. So, his Mazda3 is trained to be more responsive... at cost of fuel economy.

On this site, the Mazda3 is about 0.2 sec faster to 60mph. (7 sec vs 7.2 sec)

There is a 400lb GVW diff bet the two...4000lbs (3) and 4400lbs (6). 3 definitely faster than 6 but not by much!

Remember that the exhaust manifold of the 6, due to the greater engine bay space, is freer flowing than that of the 3. Fortunately for my 3, its 10lbs per wheel weight reduction (Enkei racing wheels that are just a bit over 17 lbs each), gives it an acceleration advantage over other 3s and additionally over 6s with bigger heaver wheels.

Remember that the exhaust manifold of the 6, due to the greater engine bay space, is freer flowing than that of the 3. Fortunately for my 3, its 10lbs per wheel weight reduction (Enkei racing wheels that are just a bit over 17 lbs each), gives it an acceleration advantage over other 3s and additionally over 6s with bigger heaver wheels.
Real world, more than 10 lb advantage as it's unsprung weight.

But still... My friends 18 3 GT with the 2.5 M/T spins tires in third with me riding in it. The 6 has since been declared a total loss. I now have a 2020 3 Preferred hatch but with A/T.

Yes, there are more than one advantage to reduced unsprung weight.

But still... My friends 18 3 GT with the 2.5 M/T spins tires in third with me riding in it.
Most of the time, use of full throttle happens on a roll, at least for me.

Back