Mazda5 Performance mod options?

Hey guys. Am new here. So I own a Mazda 5/Premacy 2008 model. I wanted to do some modifications on it so any advice on how to start???.I was also wanted to know whether you guys Have any recommendations of shops or stores whether online or local as to were I can buy the parts...

Corksport is the "go to" for quality aftermarket market Mazda parts. The MZ5 is a close cousin to the MZ3, so many parts do interchange.

Probably the best and easiest mod that you can make that does actually make a performance difference is mounting Mazdaspeed3 front brakes. You will have to source different wheels though, because the MS3 brakes are just that much larger than MZ5 brakes.

17's from a MZ3 will clear them, as well as MS3 wheels (obviously), and a very popular and super good looking wheel choice is RX-8 wheels.

Corksport is the "go to" for quality aftermarket market Mazda parts. The MZ5 is a close cousin to the MZ3, so many parts do interchange.

Probably the best and easiest mod that you can make that does actually make a performance difference is mounting Mazdaspeed3 front brakes. You will have to source different wheels though, because the MS3 brakes are just that much larger than MZ5 brakes.

17's from a MZ3 will clear them, as well as MS3 wheels (obviously), and a very popular and super good looking wheel choice is RX-8 wheels.
Thanks for the help.... I appreciate it

There aren't many performance mods that net a worth while hp gain, however, you can tackle it from a power to weight ratio. Your best bet is to lose weight (you and car) . Another place to look it reducing unsprung weight; look for used NC Miata rims (lightweight and come with TPMS sensor).

PM if you are in the US. I have a set of coilovers and MS3 RSB that work great for handling performance.

Last edited:
Also lets face it: the car is a mom-mobile. I absolutely adore ours, and when it's finally time to retire it (and this won't be for a long, long time) it's going to be a sad day indeed, because there's not another vehicle in the road that's anything like it.

The biggest mod I did to ours was soundproofing the interior and adding a nice stereo. Obviously this is the polar opposite of a performance mod, but holy cow, it does make the drive far more comfortable!

Our vans have zero sound insulation in them. Like, none. I went whole hog, ripped apart the whole interior, and triple treated every surface except the roof. (I didn't feel like removing the headliner)

Instantly, just driving down the road, the van felt oh so much more comfortable. No more incessant drone.

So maybe you can do like me and make your "performance" mods comfort mods!

i'll admit the mad scientist inside wants me to source out a totalled speed 3 and rob all the go fast parts to swap onto my 5. for no other reason than to get a shred more torque and that extra quick merging capacity. there's no drag racing that's going to be top of the list with this thing, nor should there be. i could imagine a sneaky front mount and semi loud blow off valve just for the shocked second looks from people as you drove by. my biggest worry would be finding a free flowing exhaust that didn't drone on while at highway cruising speeds.

i'll admit the mad scientist inside wants me to source out a totalled speed 3 and rob all the go fast parts to swap onto my 5.
It's been done by people who theoretically know what they are doing: Car and Driver magazine. Trust me, you don't want any parts of this. Those guys barely got it working, and it completely wasn't worth the effort. Look up the Boss Wagon.

The Mazdaspeed cars and the Mazda cars are two entirely different animals. It's why Mazda considers them to be not just different makes, but completely different models. Everything is different about them. The Mazda and Mazdaspeed computers don't even like to talk to each other! It's just that bad.

It's been done by people who theoretically know what they are doing: Car and Driver magazine. Trust me, you don't want any parts of this. Those guys barely got it working, and it completely wasn't worth the effort. Look up the Boss Wagon.

The Mazdaspeed cars and the Mazda cars are two entirely different animals. It's why Mazda considers them to be not just different makes, but completely different models. Everything is different about them. The Mazda and Mazdaspeed computers don't even like to talk to each other! It's just that bad.
oh i remember all of that nonsense quite well. nevermind the fact they were using the vertical tailight 5 and the mix and match they needed to do with the MSP3 gauge cluster was difficult to watch. my engineer brain just can't let go of the idea that the MSP bits off the smiley 3, granted it was a 2.3 and not the 2.5 slapped onto the smiley 5 would go 1:1

still thinks it could be accomplished, even if not even close to a point where i've gathered all of that hardware.

Also lets face it: the car is a mom-mobile. I absolutely adore ours, and when it's finally time to retire it (and this won't be for a long, long time) it's going to be a sad day indeed, because there's not another vehicle in the road that's anything like it.

The biggest mod I did to ours was soundproofing the interior and adding a nice stereo. Obviously this is the polar opposite of a performance mod, but holy cow, it does make the drive far more comfortable!

Our vans have zero sound insulation in them. Like, none. I went whole hog, ripped apart the whole interior, and triple treated every surface except the roof. (I didn't feel like removing the headliner)

Instantly, just driving down the road, the van felt oh so much more comfortable. No more incessant drone.

So maybe you can do like me and make your "performance" mods comfort mods!
That's exactly what I was thinking about.
Can you please share some more details?
What kind of insulation/sound deadening did you do?
What was the total weight increase after that?

I would not be concerned with thew weight of sound deadening material unless you are planning to exceed 200lbs which would technically be about 7-10 horsepower needed to do the same task before you added the new weight.

You can also do the math and estimate how much added weight your sound deadening ,material will increase. The better companies have the information so you can calculate.
My guess is if you do what you can reach in the doors. trunk or hatch area and even the complete headliner you would add about 75-100lbs? So about a loss of 4-6 HP at RED LINE. I doubt your torque would change to much. And it is a little more complicated to formulate because it would be in "G" force values to be accurate.

Saving or reducing weight on a street car has little gains unless you start with 100 pounds at a time. Going with costly wheels to save weight which really is more for handling and braking not for power unless you are planning to upgrade your suspension may be money not well invested?

Another thing that many miss is while most engine power upgrades show little gains, they still show gains and all those little things start to add up. Once you get most all the hard parts installed that you can afford that is when you shop to get an ECU calibration to tie all those parts together which will yield even greater power increases.

That's exactly what I was thinking about.
Can you please share some more details?
What kind of insulation/sound deadening did you do?
What was the total weight increase after this

I have a thread where I shared pics and what I used. Just search for my name. Total weigh increase was probably 100 to 150 pounds. But it's well worth it.

i'll admit the mad scientist inside wants me to source out a totalled speed 3 and rob all the go fast parts to swap onto my 5. for no other reason than to get a shred more torque and that extra quick merging capacity. there's no drag racing that's going to be top of the list with this thing, nor should there be. i could imagine a sneaky front mount and semi loud blow off valve just for the shocked second looks from people as you drove by. my biggest worry would be finding a free flowing exhaust that didn't drone on while at highway cruising speeds.
DIY turbo setup? The limited options for this car, I think it would be the best option if you have some knowledge to do it. MS3 mani (K03) bolts on and you can use an adapter or cut/weld a more common T2 flange to open up options and keep price down but figuring out the A/R ratio you want is the hard part.
Reuse a stock MS3 exhaust? Any OEM turbo exhaust should be better quality and provide some level of cruising comfort.

Performance vs Luxury, everything is a trade-off.

Adding sound deaden is a good luxury addon but it goes counter to performance; like adding massive subwoofers. Honestly, a good pair of tires should be the starting point. Same with tires, you can not have it all.

Light weight wheels and a quality pair of tires will get you started on performance and luxury.

Also, instead of losing 50lbs (3rd row seat, excess junk in trunk, subs, etc.), you add 150, the net difference is 200lbs. OTOH, you can lose 50 lbs, then gain 150 to net 100 difference. That is a slightly noticeable amount of weight when considering our low power engine. Think of it as always having an extra passenger in the car...

Last edited:
Is this article what you're referring to?

Has anyone done a V6 (or V8 o_O) swap into a 5, or something like a K swap?

But i think it is easier to do on miata because it is rear wheel drive. You would likely have to find a front wheel drive setup to swap in a mazda 5.
Good point! Although the modern Impala SS was FWD with an LS option; wonder if that would work.

>V8 RWD Mazda5

There's no such thing as "Can't", that's why they make torches and hammers!

1659201270396.png

Back