Mazda5 infotainment display upgrade tech specs?

Hi guys. new Mazda 5 owner here,
got this car few months ago as my first car. not the perfect condition but like it so far.
its very basic 1.8 engine family configuration. does not come with any display but i decided to do a little upgrade and bought this top display that can be opened and closed to use it for rear camera and navigation - may be adding rasberri pi for navigation and obd2 info output
изображение_2022-09-26_141619390.png

i tried to google it and was not able to find any information on this display module - there is now indian website saying its panasonic but resolution is unclear
1664191323712.png

do you know whats resolution of this module?
any sense of using it for custom upgrade or should i just buy modern 7 inch dispplay ( or even 7 inch android tablet should work)

What year is your Mazda5? I've never seen anything like that at all. The Mazda3's had something similar to that though that was part of the dealer installed SatNav option.

If it's a standard composite input, (not saying it is, as I have no clue) but I don't see why it wouldn't work with whatever source you chose to use.

If it's a standard composite input, (not saying it is, as I have no clue) but I don't see why it wouldn't work with whatever source you chose to use.
here i disasembled it. and thats how it looks like. seems like mipi interface.
but its pretty old and if the resolution is too low, it wont be really reasonable to use.
изображение_2022-09-27_223919565.png
111.JPG

I tried searching for the model/serial number printed, and couldn't find anything useful. Is there any branding on the unit at all?

I tried searching for the model/serial number printed, and couldn't find anything useful. Is there any branding on the unit at all?
hi. yes there is another number - EDT70WZQM022 - it seems that is panasonic there is only one web site i found that mentioned this display under Panasonic brand.
123.JPG

I think at this point, without more readily available information, you'd be rolling the dice with whether the resolution will be adequate for your needs. I would suggest reaching out on other forms of social media and other Mazda5-specific forums or FB groups.

Maybe another Mazda5 member here has experience with this unit?

Hi guys. new Mazda 5 owner here,
got this car few months ago as my first car. not the perfect condition but like it so far.
its very basic 1.8 engine family configuration. does not come with any display but i decided to do a little upgrade and bought this top display that can be opened and closed to use it for rear camera and navigation - may be adding rasberri pi for navigation and obd2 info output
View attachment 313291

i tried to google it and was not able to find any information on this display module - there is now indian website saying its panasonic but resolution is unclear
View attachment 313292

do you know whats resolution of this module?
any sense of using it for custom upgrade or should i just buy modern 7 inch dispplay ( or even 7 inch android tablet should work)
Considering this is early-mid 2000 tech, I'd bet resolution is similar to the other EDT70 model @320x240. Its prob not worth it and its only the screen so you'd still need to add a source. I'd suggest going with a 9" android.

There are a lot Mazda 5 android radios on the internet (comes with bezel!) but they are not all created equal and prices reflect this. All cheap models are a flat screen, like a tablet, with tight formfactor design. The better ones have a traditional DIN chassis for heat dissipation and is generally more robust BUT these usually start above $200 USD. The same manufacture carries both so shop around.
This was THE best bang for the buck but I think they went out of business since COVID.
another example (scroll pics): OEM Android head unit for 2005 2006 2007-2010 Mazda 5

FWIW, I just use a cheap clip on LCD screen rear view mirror and hard wire backup camera for $35 and it has exceeded my needs $35 Backup Camera and Mirror Install. The mirror has a 2nd slave RCA input, which can be used for GPS (but that could be a distracting?). Screen would flip to master when Reverse engages the camera. I choose to use phone for real-time GPS and internet music. I had a tablet configuration for a while but find that I just don't "need" it and rather focus on driving. What have you done to your Mazda5 today?
BUT still tempted to play with an Android unit b/c the integration/consolidation would be nice (huge 9" screen (higher end models support split screen and HDMI out), ODB2 info, and endless emulators -for the kids ;)

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree with recommending one of those cheap Chinesium so-called "Pure Android" stereos. Oh, the looks and feature set are amazing, especially for the price. The problem is the complete lack of QA and QC. You might get one that works, but the chances are against you. Ever tried to use a $39 wish.com tablet? Because that's literally what those pieces of crap are. I personally tried three different ones before I just gave up. The sound quality is horrific, and the build quality is even worse.

In my wife's Mazda5, I got her a Kenwood DDX8706S with wireless Android Auto. That this is absolutely amazing.

Pretty much all of our electronics are coming from China (iPhones, computers, etc.)... I don't think you can expect to pay $39 and expect a high end product, that's not realistic. Everything has a pricing tier and YGWYPF. When shopping for Android headunits, be sure to do your due diligence. If the vendor does not list specs or provide detail pics, it is a clear sign to avoid. While all 9" units 'look' alike, the specs are vastly different and I would not recommend anything sub ~200. I have a feeling the tablets you got does not have DSP or equipped with a very low output amp. Can you put a link to it?

The Boison is good b/c it has a DIN chassis (not flat like a tablet, which gets hot and heat is the ultimate killer. you cannot physically cram large capacitors), and has the latest PX6 CPU (as of 2-3 years ago).
Android Radio PX5 (RK3368) vs PX6 (RK3399) Benchmark Leistungsvergleich (DEU/ENG).
I would not be surprise if there's a newer/faster processor on the market today since high end models now come with 8GB DDR4 RAM -that is A LOT. Seems resolution also made a jump from 1024x600 (pretty good but pegged at this for a long time) to 1280x720 QLED on the higher end units. If the xda-developers.com community uses it, who am I to argue. Another key step is to root it. Since the OP mentions adding a raspberry pi and identifies the ribbon connector type, I think he/she knows the electronics/programming well to make a decision.

Below is an example of a Seicane unit to highlight the specs that the BUYER would need to look out for. They tend to be over priced but have a direct channel for support-YGWYPF. Joying is another respectable but expensive (double the cost) name.
Critical parameter
Working voltageDC 10.5V-16V
Working currentMAX 10A
Standby current<=50mA
POWER OFF current<1mA
Working Temperature-20°-60°
Storage Temperature-30°-70°
Hardware parameters
ProcessorQuad - Core 1.5GHz Coretex-A35
Main frequency1.5GHz
RAM2GB
NAND32GB
3G ConnectionWCDMA HSDPA 7.2M / CDMA EVDO
Wi-FiYes – IEEE 802.11b/g/n
GPSCOM2
Video Decoder1080P HW
3D EnginePowerVR
DVDsupport
RadioNXP6686
USBUSB2.0 OTG
External InterfaceNo
System parameters
Operation systemAndroid 11.0
Support mapNavitel; igo and more android map
Video systemautomatic PAL/NTSC
Video FormatMP4,H.264,WMV,AVI,RM/RMVB,VOB and more
WebFlash
Display
Display sizeNo
Screen Size9 inch
Touch Screenyes
Screen Resolution1024*600 Pixels
Online Service and application
Navigation from NetworkCall center & Website
Online RadioPandora,Tunein and others
Online MusicYes
SNSFacebook, Twitter
Voice ChattingTalkbox and others
GamesThousands from Google Market
More from Google Marketyes
GPS Navigation System
ChipsetU-BLXO G6010 ST
Frequency1.5GHz
Channel number20channels
Hot start timeaverage 2s
Warm start timeaverage 31s
Cold start timeaverage 32s
Display outputCVBS+S-VIDEO output
Audio outputFL;FR;RL;RR and Subwoofer
Support audio typeMP3/WMA/AAC/RM/LFAC etc.All formats are supported
Support video typeMP4,H.264,WMV,AVI,RM/RMVB,VOB and more
Tracking sense degree-159dbm
Position accuracy10m, 2D RMS, WAAS enable
Velocity0.1m/s
Data renewal rate1Hz
Re-catching timeaverage 0.1s
The biggest fixed height18000m
The biggest velocity515m/s
Power specificationDV 12V, current<500mA
Consumption4.5W(12V/360mA), normal 3W(12V/250mA)
Amplifier parameters
Testing voltage13.8V
Maximum power output4×45W
Speaker impedance4Ω (4-8Ω acceptable)
another example with specs (bezel is not for this car)

Don't use Wish.com (or DX.com), they are the equivariant of an online Dollar Store. Look at Alibaba.com (China's Amazon) or Aliexpress (owned by Alibaba) OR just buy from ebay or Amazon b/c they may have it in US warehouse for quicker shipping and possible free returns.

Sorry OP for going off-track. Let us know what you decide to do and update us with the final product. FWIW, this was discussed in the past but I couldn't recall the post. Another Euro member investigated it and the resolution was bad and ended up stickling a tablet in there. If you search hard enough you should find it.

EDIT:
No one manufacturer has a monopoly in this industry, and the units are universal, only the bezel is unique to the car.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree with recommending one of those cheap Chinesium so-called "Pure Android" stereos. Oh, the looks and feature set are amazing, especially for the price. The problem is the complete lack of QA and QC. You might get one that works, but the chances are against you. Ever tried to use a $39 wish.com tablet? Because that's literally what those pieces of crap are. I personally tried three different ones before I just gave up. The sound quality is horrific, and the build quality is even worse.

In my wife's Mazda5, I got her a Kenwood DDX8706S with wireless Android Auto. That this is absolutely amazing.
Hello sir, I would rather disagree with you.
It may be due to the fact that you've had a bad experience with such devices in the past. I can relate, my first stereo I installed in 2018 was a total POS.

Chinese are constantly improving. Modern Android stereos are "Xiaomi of car infotainment".
Lots of features and great quality too. Reverse camera, dashcam integration, 360 4-camera setup, OBD2 integration, rear and front parking sensors integration, individual TMPS sensors, dual sim, can bus (minimal) integration.
I have zero issues with devices I installed recently - I literally did one this summer. I'm attaching a photo of my installation just to show off a little bit.

NOTE: position of the screen is really sub-optimal in the case of Mazda 5, both in the last gen and previous gen. It's really not convenient to look down for navigation. I use a phone for navigation and the android device for reversing and music and secondary navigation, just in case.

I would recommend Teyes CC2 PLUS as it has great quality and support and a developers community too. Better go with the 9" model, they are way easier to install and come with everything you'll need.

Attachments

• 1664479629787.png
    1664479629787.png
    351.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 1664480251890.png
    1664480251890.png
    314.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 1664480289875.png
    1664480289875.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 1664480309653.png
    1664480309653.png
    419.2 KB · Views: 77
here i disasembled it. and thats how it looks like. seems like mipi interface.
but its pretty old and if the resolution is too low, it wont be really reasonable to use.
View attachment 313313View attachment 313314
I would find an android device with a separate screen and retrofit the screen into this popup.
Something like this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804365655670.html
They even sell the flex cable for such cases.

Although, personally, I don't like Joying brand, as my past experience with it was not so good.
Judging by the discussions on 4pda, it's quality seems to be ok now.

All of those Chinese stereos are made by a company called Shenzhen Klyde. Doesn't matter what name is affixed to them, Atoto, Seicaine, Joying, Auto Pumpkin, Eonon, fill in the blank here, each and every single one comes out of the exact same factory, off of the exact same assembly line.

After being burned for the third time, I dug into this big time. I know what I'm talking about.

Fact is, I was the one that Eonon contracted for to film their official installation video for the Mazda3 version on their YouTube channel. I was the one who figured out the work around to make them play nice with the 04-05 Mazda3 steering wheel controls. I was the one that figured out how to make them play nice with the factory Bose amplifiers.

Ever wonder why they are still making the same stereo for a fairly niche vehicle, the Mazda5, that hasn't been made in well over 10 years? Because the tooling is already there! It doesn't actually cost them anything!

These things are junk. Pure trash. Every single one.

If you want to be happy with a car stereo purchase, one that actually sounds good and will last, stick to a brand that is known: Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer, Sony. Those brands have worldwide recognition and status not because they are "expensive", but because they work.

If I were to do this (and I did do it for both of my 2010 and 2015 Mazda 5), I would get one of those universal android 7" 2din unit and a rear cam plus the mounting bracket/faceplate. It would be a fullfilling weekend project with definite result. After it is done, you get an offline GPS (I use the Here app with the whole US map stored inside the unit), backup camera, an outdated android (regardless of what they claim), bluetooth audio, usb storage audio playback, aux in and steering wheel control all set and ready to go for the cost of less than $150. Android and iPhone connectivity is also an option but I never understood the reason behind the need if the head unit is fully functional by itself so I never tried it.

I don't disagree that the no brand android head units you find on ebay are trash but I had good experience with them. Not great but all I look for are working units with good value and I have had luck with these units. The one in my 2015 mazda5 has been working as expected since 2020.

If you have the time and/or expertise, reinvent the wheel with raspberry Pi sounds interesting.

I imagine you will have buy several companion electronics components for the radio, GPS, audio / amplifier interface, video in and out, a buck converter that can provide 5V 5A DC power plus some customization work for the bracket and the panel.

It all sounds very cool and tiring to me. Just by how hyper inflated pi unit is right now (the board alone costs around $150 in the US) I would immediately go with the other method.

Do you know how the previous owner treated this vehicle? If the history of this 16yr old car is unknown, some distraction or unpleasant challenges may need your attention when you start digging into its electronics. It is another concern of mine before I start making it a full blown carputer project.

Last edited:
Back