Mazda2 vs. Ford Fiesta price and features comparison

very nice reviews.

one thing i found funny is that the fiesta has 3 inches less rear leg room than the smaller mazda2. totally lost it for me.

you are in the same boat as me then. comparing cars to the p5. the p5 is so simple, but so comfortable and a blast to drive. i really didnt find the 2 that underpowered. im used to underpowered, i drive an auto protege!

The difference in rear legroom is probably down to the seats... and to the fact that the Fiesta seems to favor trunk space over rear seat room in both sedan and hatch form compared to the Mazda2.

Interesting to see what people think AFTER the Mazda2 & Fiesta have been released in North America...It's not all about the "paper stats"...Glad to see the Mazda2 get some real world "props"...:D

Very true, it's not all about the stats. The handling is quite good, and a better engine seems to be on the way.

A few thoughts...

Regardless of the specs, numerous tests have shown the Mazda2's performance to be comparable with, or even better than, virtually every other subcompact on the market today. (Yes, the Honda Fit and 1.8L Nissan Versa are slightly faster, but neither is truly a subcompact.) So if you think the Mazda2 is too slow, then you're saying that pretty much any subcompact is too slow for you, in which case maybe you shouldn't buy one. :)

And it's ridiculous to say the Mazda2 would benefit from a 1.8L or 2.0L engine. That would just make the car too nose-heavy and would diminish the sprightly handling it's known for. The correct performance upgrade would be a smaller forced-induction engine, similar to the turbocharged 1.4 liter engine in the Chevy Cruze, which puts out 138 HP and achieves 40 MPG in a bigger, heavier car; in the little Mazda2, the mileage would be even more fantastic.

The Mazda2 does have a wide-ratio gearbox, which isn't the best for acceleration, but I prefer it over the Mazda3's close-ratio transmission. In my 2008 Mazda3 2.0L, I found myself constantly skip-shifting 1-2-4 or 1-3-5 because the ratios were unnecessarily close for everyday driving. And it revved at 2600 RPM in 5th gear at 60 MPH -- exactly the same as the Mazda2. That is actually on the low side for a small car; the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio are whizzing away near 3000 RPM at 60 MPH in 5th.

And regardless of the EPA ratings, so far in my Mazda2 I've gotten 34 MPG in mostly city driving and 37 MPG in mostly highway driving, so it appears to be yet another car which easily exceeds the EPA's pessimistically low "readjusted" ratings.

EPA ratings are a bit conservative IMO. I have 1,600 miles on the 2 and am getting 38.5 MPG mixed driving = secondary roads, stop lights, 35-65MPH and NO ETHANOL regular gas.

no ethanol gas would help some, but yeah, the mazda2 should get better than the EPA says. The fiesta ratings seem a bit high.

A Mazda2's just as quick as a Fit in the real world, despite being slower against the clock. The Honda has a 15 hp advantage up top... but how long are you going to be sitting between 5500 and 6500 rpm while driving?

Oh, come on... I've driven both... up to and around highway speed... and at 100 mph, you're only doing around 4500 rpm... :D

Realistically, though, it isn't until you're well over 60 mph that the power deficit starts showing (we drove those little buggers hard during our twin-test). It IS annoying that the shifts in the Mazda2 drop you well out of the powerband unless you shift at redline, but it's not lacking in herbs per se. Unless you're carrying an extra passenger... which brings you up to Fit weight... or two more... which brings you up to Fiesta weight... then yes... it IS dog slow. :D

^ so is there a speed range where these cars fuel efficiency start to decline due to the cars lack of power at high way speeds?

From my experience speeds over 80mph start to really drop the fuel economy.

-Derrick

45-50 is optimum if you're hypermiling. Newer cars like this, though, get decent economy at higher speeds, but if you're going at 80+, the Mazda2 can feel pretty wayward in crosswinds.

Back