Mazda Turbo reliability?

I've had two CX-5's with turbos and the only issue I've ever had is the oil drain plug bolt coming a little loose on my latest '22 CX-5 Turbo that resulted in an oil leak after 3000 miles.

From this link, it looks like Mazda upgraded the turbo engine. Block, head, valves, pistons, timing chain, transmission and so forth.

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/mazda-2-5t-engine-internals-vs-non-turbo.123880359/

FWIW, Mazda 2.5l engines has a forged crankshaft and connecting rods. I see a few production engines with forged cranks but never rods make far more power than these little engines...

I have a turbo diesel with 265,000 miles and never touched the turbo. The engine required rocker arm replacement at 260,000 miles. These turbos go to 350,000 miles and UP. They run all day long at 20 to 40 PSI with no issues. With that said, guys who beat on their Cummins Turbo Diesels, the turbos don't last.

I've run engine tunes on this truck for over 200,000 miles. I monitor EGT and boost and stay below maximum levels. Climbing mountains towing 10,000 pounds, I allow it to slow down. I drive the CX-5 T the same way. I wish it had EGT and boost somewhere on the dash...

It's easy to check a turbo end play. This let's you know if the shaft bushings are worn. I need to learn how to check it on the CX 5.

I'm not the least concerned about our 2.5l T. We will keep up with oil changes and not beat on it, particularly when it's cold.

It makes power right where it's needed for a daily driver. We will putting a tune on it shortly and drive it responsibly.

Last edited:
Looking at a 2021 cx-5 that also that fall within these VINS, what was your experience owning these Mazda's. Just trying to understand if all these Mazda's had the oil burning issue. My local dealer said they would not replace valve seal period.

This is a different issue than the oil burning issue. For the oil burning issue for 2021 specifically , refer to the Vins number it this link:

Thanks, was referencing this TSB. Trying to understand if most vehicles in this VIN range had oil burning issues, as i said was looking at a used cx5 that falls within the Vin range as per TSB on link you posted.

Not sure how common it is, i own a CX-9 so don’t follow the CX-5 that much. You are asking the question in the wrong section though, this is the CX-50 section. If you go and post your question in the CX-5 section you might get more visibility on it.

My personal opinion. The VIN range from the oil consumption TSB is pretty narrow (only vehicles produced for a few months), and there are a lot of used Cx-5 on the market. I would wait to find a 2021 that does not fall in the VIN ranges. Unless you can use this TSB to negotiate the price down.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the advice. Was interested in 3 different Cx-5's all with low km's all fell within the VIN range, coincidence? The TSB references all 2021 models with turbo's not specifically Cx-5's, as to negotiating the price down my local dealer wouldn't even acknowledge there was a problem with these engines. Anways ante up a bit more money and bought a 2022 CX-5 GT sport. ( not from that dealer)

Back